What were they fighting for?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

What were they fighting for?

Postby etony33 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Obviously, everyone was fighting in order to defeat Dark Force/PD and to restore order...but beyond that, who had a personal reason for fighting, and what was it?

Alis wanted to avenge Nero's death. Odin, I'm assuming, wanted to do the same. I guess Rolf wanted to avenge Nei's death in some way...Chaz obviously wanted to exact revenge for the killing of Alys, Gryz wanted to exact revenge for the destruction of Molcum, Kyra was driven (at least in part) by the Black Wave making her friends fall ill...anyone else? In PS3, people have more personal reasons for the most part.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: What were they fighting for?

Postby LaconianSandals » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Chaz specifically had conflict with the fact that there wasn't a personal reason for him to be in the fight after killing Zio. Like, after Alys died he wanted to give up and was really going on more because the felt like he was supposed to.

You know, I've never thought a lot about this but outside of the first time you recruit a character most of them don't really have a lot of attachment to the main story. Except for Rune and the Lutz line, who have that whole destiny thing going on.
LaconianSandals
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Re: What were they fighting for?

Postby etony33 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 am

That conflict (regarding Chaz) persisted until the very end of the game, like when Chaz told Le Roof off. In PS1, Myau and Noah/Lutz don't have much of a reason to help you, at least not explicitly. As far as PS2 is concerned, none of them really have much of a reason. I guess Hugh maybe wants to study the biomonsters that you come across, but once Climatrol is finished, there's no real reason at all for him to continue. Rudo and Anna perhaps have a sense of honor and want to fight because they think it's the right thing to do. Kain originally comes along perhaps because he wants to try to get with Nei, and also perhaps it'll give him a good reason to break things. Shir...I really don't know about Shir. Shir doesn't think before acting a lot of the time, she's selfish, she steals compulsively and would have no problem whatsoever sabotaging Rolf in order to benefit her...though, it's possible (and maybe even likely) that Shir does this sort of thing to try to soothe her broken heart and depression.

Phantasy Star III, you begin to see reasons - good reasons - why people want to join in and fight, at least in the second and third generations. For Ayn's generation, Thea obviously wants to help her father and her kingdom. Ayn wants to do the same. Sari...ehhh, I don't really know. At first, she just wanted to keep an eye on the Power Topaz, and maybe (though this is purely speculation on my part) she wanted to turn on Ayn and kill him for revenge against his family due to Rhys leaving Landen with no king. Nial's generation (I swear, I write "Nail" every single time I try to write Nial) has Laya, who wanted to learn the truth, and Ryan, possibly the most mysterious character in any Phantasy Star game due to the complete lack of a backstory. Third generation, everyone knows what they are up against, and they all either played a part in it or their parents did, so it was basically them wanted to fix what they had broken.

That brings us to PSIV. There are a lot of missing details when it comes to Alys, but it's pretty straightforward in some cases (Gryz, Kyra, Rike, Rune) and not so straightforward in others (Hahn, Raja). The androids do it because it is their job.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to Phantasy Star