Phantasy Star damage formula

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Phantasy Star damage formula

Postby etony33 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

A solo run in Phantasy Star is (probably) not viable. The closest anyone could come, I would think, would be Myau.

At level 30, he has 214 HP and 56 MP. Assuming he could get to Lassic at full health (well, -2 MP for the TRAP spell), it would have to work something like this:

Myau uses HELP in his first turn. Lassic attacks for ~50 damage. 164/44
Myau attacks. Lassic attacks for ~50 damage. 114/44
Myau uses CURE for 60 HP. Lassic attacks for ~50. 124/38
Myau uses CURE for 60 HP. Lassic attacks for ~50. 134/32
Myau attacks. Lassic attacks. 84/32
Myau uses CURE. Lassic attacks. 94/26
Myau uses CURE. Lassic attacks. 104/20
Myau attacks. Lassic attacks. 54/20.
Myau attacks. Lassic attacks. 4/20
Myau attacks one more time and hopefully goes first.

That's five HELP assisted attacks. Lassic has 238 HP. Is it possible? I'm not really sure. Any healing beyond that wouldn't be helpful unless Lassic's attacks did significantly more damage (or less damage). I'm not sure how much variation there is when it comes to damage in that battle. Burgers would be useless.

Darkfalz has enough damage variation where Burgers would maybe possibly be effective there. Again, not really sure.

A solo run would be technically impossible in that game because the TRAP and OPEN spells must be used, but you could just hack the MRCL KEY into your inventory.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Phantasy Star damage formula

Postby etony33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:41 am

I think Lassic can be beaten by solo Myau. Lassic's damage is highly variable. I have seen it do as little as two damage and as much as 85. It would take a ton of luck.

There are three forced battles on the way to Lassic: Robotcop, Gold Dragon, and Shadow. Phantasy Star allows you to save anywhere, so you could save every few steps and thus avoid all random battles on the way to Lassic (tedious? Yup. Cheap and against the spirit of the game? Absolutely. Cheating? No).

It would take a ton of luck...like getting struck by lightning twice (that's a pun. Ha ha ha. You can laugh)
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 am

I did manage to (barely) do it. Myau was down to 12 HP, 1 MP, and no burgers.

As I mentioned, Lassic's attack varies wildly. I saw as little as two damage and as much as 85. You need a lot of friendly rolls to pull it off.

Darkfalz would almost certainly be impossible for a solo character unless you abuse save states a ton.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 am

I wish I could figure out the damage formula for this game like I can with the other 3. It would make the speedrun a whole lot easier if I could obtain that knowledge, but everything seems so random.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Not just random, but there is a ton of variation. At least if there was less variation, you could make a ballpark estimate and go with it.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to Phantasy Star