Which PS4 solo run would be the most difficult?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Which Phantasy Star IV character do you think would have the most difficult solo run?

Raja
17%
Rune
No votes
Seth
33%
Gryz
No votes
Demi
No votes
Hahn
No votes
Alys
33%
Rika
17%
Other (Chaz, Wren, Kyra)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Which PS4 solo run would be the most difficult?

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I'm curious what you all think.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Which PS4 solo run would be the most difficult?

Postby Zucca » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Yeah. My wild guess would be Seth. This is completely without any knowledge which items he can equip.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 pm

He can equip the exact same things as Hahn, with the exception of the Mahlay Shield, Mahlay Mail, and Mahlay Ring, which Hahn can equip and Seth cannot.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Seth actually maxes his stats earlier than anyone else (having 99 STR/99 MTL, 99 AGI/99 DEX). He is also completely immune to Factor 11 and Factor 13, so two of the most annoying abilities, Stasis Ball and Evil Eye, are nullified.

His gear is not great. Just knives and daggers, suits (Leather Cloth, Carbon Suit, Graphite Suit, and Cyber Suit), and circlets (Leather Band, Circlet, Psy Circlet, Silver Circlet, Laconian Circlet).

He can equip medium shields, including the Plasma Field, which is incredibly useful in solo play because of the Factor 2 resistance (meaning DF1's Flare Shot, Sa Lews's Legeon, PD1's Ray Breath, PD2's attack, and PD3's attack all do significantly less damage).

He has a cap on his skills. He has 0 TP, and he will never learn any techniques, but he will never have more than 18 Corrsions and 9 Dthspells.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Whoever voted for Alys, what's your reasoning?
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Raja was difficult in some parts, but not so bad in others. Boss battles were quite easy, with really only four exceptions (Gy-Laguiah, DF2, Sa-Lews, and of course the final battle). Grinding, on the other hand, was tedious as can be, and Raja died a LOT.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MadBill » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 am

I voted for Rika, she levels up fast and is quite durable.
MadBill
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 am

Rika is the most difficult? Or the easiest?

Rika is almost certainly not the most difficult. Her high agility means that she'll almost never see "Cannot escape!", she has a wide range of equipment to choose from (including heavy armor and shields), she has the Silver Tusk (which deals Factor 6 damage, making it ideal for fighting pretty much every enemy from the Air Castle on, with the exception of Vahal Fort), she has the Genocyde Claw (which has a supplemental Dthspell, and most late game enemies aren't immune to it), she has Deban and Saner (so she doesn't need to bring the Swift Helm or Mahlay Shield to the final battle), and she has the Thunder Claw (enabling her to deal Factor 7 damage to Vahal Fort bots)...

The ONLY downside that I can think of is that she has no way to deal magical damage outside of using the Flame Sword/Thunder Claw/Tornado Dagger/Mahlay Dagger as an item or using Dynamite, but who cares? There's only one battle where that is potentially a problem, and that is Sa-Lews, yet Rika still has an answer for that battle because she can equip the Plasma Field.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LYA8EOcQo

This is brutal. I had to go to the hospital today, then come home and this happens.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MadBill » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 pm

I meant easiest sorry. XD

Sa-Lews spamming Flaeli on Raja as if it knows Raja is vulnerable to fire-based attacks lol
MadBill
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Sa-Lews uses Flaeli 50% of the time, Hewn 25%, and Tandle 25%. Seems like more, though, doesn't it?

Something I failed to mention about Rika: her high agility makes it less likely that she will be paralyzed. Toadstool, Flyscreamer, and Meta Slug are all extremely dangerous for biological solo characters, because paralysis=game over (Ghoul, Caterpillr, Rajago, and a couple others also cause paralysis, but you generally have enough agility at that point where it's unlikely and/or you won't see many of them)
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Regarding Rika, I just realized that she would probably have a really tough time with the Xe-A-Thoul trio. I'm actually not sure what the best strategy would be for that battle.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to Phantasy Star