Unused Hahn graphic in PSIV...

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Unused Hahn graphic in PSIV...

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Today, I just found out there is an unused graphic for Hahn.

It's a spell-cast graphic in battle. The techs Hahn has only use one-hand, while his skills use no hands. This graphic shows him using two hands, similar to Gryz casting War-Cry, or Raja casting Miracle or Ataraxia, infact, I was using the disassembly to give him. Ataraxia.

Speaking of which, most characters seem to have a secondary spell-cast graphic, for Alys, it's holding her slicer upfront, for Rune, he holds back his arm little bit more, for Chaz, he does nothing, like how Hahn does for Vision, thus mean Chaz also has a somewhat unused spell-cast graphic, and this also means Hahn has a total of three spell-cast graphics.

I'm not the first person to see this, as in the purgatory mode hack, Hahn does have Ataraxia, so most people who played this hack likely saw this, including the hack maker. I guess they never realised the graphic was unused.

I'm not sure if any other characters have unused spell-cast graphics, but it's [i]possible[i]. I'll keep an eye out for anything else like this in the disassembly.

Thanks for reading!!
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: Unused Hahn graphic in PSIV...

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Here's what it looks like, by the way:

https://imgur.com/a/TDq6s
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby The PS Logo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Hahn's sprite is symmetrical. Wouldn't it just be flipped to save precious memory?
The PS Logo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:09 am

In this particular case, he's not using one hand or the other hand, but both. In the case of Gryz's one handed animation (which actually is used in the vanilla game despite him not being able to equip knives, because it's used for Sweeping), it's just flipped if you edit the ROM to give him the ability to equip knives.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:09 am

Now I want to give Seth Ataraxia to see what happens
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:59 am

While researching for my creation of the Phantasy Star IV Randomizer, I found that only certain characters can use certain skills without crashing the game. Seth with Ataraxia is one of those things. Most are still limited to the original character (like Chaz with any of his swordskills and Rika with her clawskills), but some skills can be used by everybody with no graphical or crash issues (mostly the default android skills and all of Seth's skills).

Even so, I never noticed the two-hand Hahn animation. Maybe I just haven't caught it yet. The only other hidden animation I've seen was a Gryz dagger animation (though it is used as his Sweeping animation), but when adding dagger support for Gryz in the Randomizer, it works just fine.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:04 pm

^Same goes for Anna and guns. Her gun animation exists, she just can't use them.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:32 pm

MrStarbird wrote:While researching for my creation of the Phantasy Star IV Randomizer
:shock:
Oh yes! Do you have the project on github?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby MrStarbird » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 pm

if allowed to post it on the forums, I will. I know some places forbid linking so I'll keep that as it is for now.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 pm

MrStarbird wrote:if allowed to post it on the forums, I will. I know some places forbid linking so I'll keep that as it is for now.

I don't think I would break any rules. Why would it?
Although I haven't read them for a while...

Also... If you're into randomizers... Have you played Shining in the Darkness..?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby MrStarbird » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm

https://github.com/MrStarbird/PStar4-Randomizer

I need to do an update on the PS4 Randomizer because some people caught a bug where some Robes are unequippable when the Open Armor option is selected.

And yes, I have played Shining in the Darkness.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm

MrStarbird wrote:And yes, I have played Shining in the Darkness.
That game could be easily randomized completely. I mean all those dungeons too...
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Zucca » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 pm

The PS Logo wrote:Hahn's sprite is symmetrical. Wouldn't it just be flipped to save precious memory?

Sometimes the space saving goes a bit further. Although Kosinski compression wasn't used in PSII but Amy's and Shir's graphics are mostly the same. The game seems to just use different color palettes for them.

Also I think in most Classic PS games the "idle" battle graphic is symmetrical in Y-axis. I don't know if there's only half of the graphic in the ROM, but space wise that would make sense to just mirror the rest graphic using software in "real time".
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby cala » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:10 pm

MrStarbird wrote:The only other hidden animation I've seen was a Gryz dagger animation (though it is used as his Sweeping animation), but when adding dagger support for Gryz in the Randomizer, it works just fine.

If I remember rightly, that one's actually addressed directly in the little comic in the PSIV gallery section on the Sega Saturn Phantasy Star Collection. It's been a while since I read it, but I think the director said that he decided quite late in development that he wanted Gryz to be able to use daggers as well, and specifically asked the programmer to make it happen, but then they realised after the programmer went to all of the hassle implementing it that Gryz's Crash skill used an animation of him swinging an axe, and that they'd need to add a unique animation for Crash with a dagger. The director didn't have the nerve to ask the programmer to fix things again, so he decided to not mention it, and just quietly cut the ability for Gryz to use daggers. :P
cala
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Return to Phantasy Star