PSIV Purgatory Mode

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

PSIV Purgatory Mode

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:39 am

Been a while since I’ve done anything that Phantasy Star related, so I’ve decided that I’ll go ahead and give PSIV Purgatory Mode a go.

It’s a harder version of PSIV Hell Mode (an already harder version of the original) and gives characters a lot of new spells and abilities.

I plan to get up to atleast Zema today. Wish me luck!
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: PSIV Purgatory Mode

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:20 pm

I’m up to Zema and the framerate of the Emulator suddenly become diabolic after saving...
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Okay, low framerate is caused by using savestates, so I’ll just traditonally save in the game itself, and use savestates before I call it quits for the day.

I haven’t gotten defeated, but I’ve been in some dangerous situations, like when Hahn survived alone with barely any HP.

I’m about to go through the Valley Cave now. Rune makes everything fairly easy. Everyone but Rune is at level 11, while he alone is at level 17.

The Igglanova wasn’t too hard, but there were some close calls. The next Igglanova is gonna be pathetic. I’ll grind a bit more before I progress to the Tonoe basement.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:59 pm

PSIV really need these mods. :greetings-clapyellow: But the ones I've seen are just quick&dirty mods which only make experience gain half as fast or reduce the mesetas... I'd like to have a "proper" mod which changes the monsters in unexpected ways. Like give some monsters the ability to paralyze or insta kill. Or add up defence and/or attack power. To avoid game being a grind feast, some of the enemies should give more exp and/or meseta.
This is what I'm planning with my PSII mod... which hasn't had any updated because of life and and studying again. Dang those second class priorites taking over! :confusion-shrug:
Oh well...

Anyway. Is this Purgatory Mode a what kind of mod?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Doctor Hooves » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Purgatory Mode makes the game much harder. It’s actually based off Hell Mode. Both mods make enemies stronger, have more HP, higher defences, and so on.

I’m up to Dezolis, and the enemies are starting to have TONS of HP. Enemies north of Tyler like Red Moles are incredibly strong. Dezo Owl’s/Skytiara’s and Rajago’s/Biter Flies also have Super Sonic, which can do up to about 200 damage.
Seriously, Super Sonic out of all of the things!? That thing is a joke in the vanilla game.

A lot of characters have new spells in place of instant death and status based attacks. For example, Chaz now has Vision instead of Earth, and Rika now has Flare instead of Illusion, and so on.

There are also several changes, but those are the most notable ones.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:36 am

Is Vision still useless, or did they upgrade it a bit?
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Doctor Hooves » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:54 am

It’s mostly the same in the original, though characters missing with physical attacks is a more common occurence, so it can be useful.

I’ve so far found very little use for Recover, and a lot of characters have it now (Gryz, Alys, Rune, and Seth, who I don’t have yet).

Rika also has Medice, but using it in battle will crash the game, so it needs to be used outside of battle. It likely crashes the game due to Rika not having the correct hand-animation for it. When Kyra casts Medice, she holds her hand back a bit. Rika lacks a similar animation, but Rune has a similar animation, like when casting Legeon, he holds his hand back a bit.

It would’ve been better if the hack’s creator gave Rune Medice in this case.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Doctor Hooves » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 pm

I managed to BARELY defeat Dark Force II. Geez, it took a while to chew through his HP.

I’m about to take on the rappy mission soon, though it likely won’t be that hard.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Return to Phantasy Star