About Bosses

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

About Bosses

Postby DarkMyau » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 am

One of the things I don't like about Final Fantasy games is that there are always a lot of pointless boss fights.

Its a boss for the sake of having a boss. I mean not all caves have to have a monster in them.

The Final Fantasy fans disagree with me though and I have had a few debates with them

PS2 only has 3 bosses. But each one is very epic and memorable. PS3 also only has a few bosses but each one is important to the story. Ps1 and 4 maybe a bit...but I wouldnt leave any of them out.

So what does everyone else think?
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re: About Bosses

Postby Zucca » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:52 am

Personally, I'd like to have few more Boss battles on PSII. For example Darum scene could be easily turned into a boss fight. Also while searching Nei itmes there could be some mini-boss fights before getting the item.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby etony33 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:58 pm

In most cases, there are very good reasons within the storyline for a boss battle to take place.

The first Phantasy Star has, by my count, nine mandatory bosses and an additional four that must be fought to complete optional sidequests (Skeleton*, Saccubus, Medusa*, Dr. Mad, Blue/Casba Dragon, Tarzimal*, Red Dragon*, Titan, Robotcop, Gold Dragon, Shadow, Lassic, Darkfalz). Given the length of the game, that's not an insignificant amount.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby DarkMyau » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 am

This is more a criticism of the Final Fantasy games. I just think they have too many boss battles and they can be annoying. As I said not every cave has to have a boss.

Phantasy Star has a great amount of bosses and each one is special in my view.
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby etony33 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 am

There's also the quasi-superboss in the hidden area of the Maharu Cave (Red Dragon, which probably will kill you without breaking a sweat at that point unless you are extremely overleveled.

I wish you got something cool for beating Saccubus. Maybe a Wand? It's a reusable Escaper and/or an ultimate weapon, which would give a nice boost without significantly making the game easier.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm

etony33 wrote:I wish you got something cool for beating Saccubus.
Oh boy I was disappointed when I first time managed to beat Saccubus. :P
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Return to Phantasy Star