Weapon categorisation

Phantasy Star Online discussions only

Weapon categorisation

Postby BenoitRen » Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm almost done with updating this site's PSO weapons pages to PSO: Episode I & II. The problem now is that some weapons are hard to categorise.

Everyone who has played PSO will have seen them: weapons that are of a certain class but behave like another. For example, the Victor Axe is a saber, but its animation is that of a sword. Other examples: Evil Curst and Sting Tip are wands, but they animate like sabers.

Weapons that aren't so clear-cut are Inferno Bazooka and Flame Visit, among others. They have the animation of a shot, but it only shoots one projectile at one target. So I've categorised them as rifles, because I consider how they are used to be more important than the animation they use, unlike PSOW which does the reverse.

But then you have an entire new category of "launchers". So now I'm wondering if that's what they should be in, despite having the shot animation.

Finally, you have another new category: cards. At least, that's how PSOW names them. Examples are Hitogata, Whitill Card, and Guardianna. But there aren't only actual cards in that category. I've never used one, so I don't know how they work, but would those be best called boomerangs?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 pm

They are more like throwing stars. Although, Cards may work as well because I always thought of Gambit from X-Men.

Victor Axe can go in the category known as garbage. :P

Personally, I view hunter weapons as determined how they are used, and Ranger/Force determined by animation. I still see Elysion as a Saber and Inferno Bazooka as a launcher. Its just Sega being creative I suppose. Spread Needle feels like a Rifle to me as well.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby The HuBBs » Thu May 20, 2010 1:58 am

I had a complete catalog of weapons for ep 1&2 why not check the internet archive and see if the page is there somewhere.
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu May 20, 2010 5:48 pm

I don't see what that has to do with categorisation. Maybe to see how you did it?

At any rate, I see no such page when I view a recent-ish copy of your website. Should I dig in its past?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby thriwren » Thu May 20, 2010 9:50 pm

The HuBBs wrote:I had a complete catalog of weapons for ep 1&2 why not check the internet archive and see if the page is there somewhere.
I do have a copy on my HD. Mind is I mirror it on my site?
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to Phantasy Star Online