Pso Trouble

Phantasy Star Online discussions only

Pso Trouble

Postby Ein Tyrion » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:30 am

This sounds like i have trouble at a certain area....but nope the whole disk is being not cool....someone....tell me if there's anything i can do?
Ein Tyrion

Pso Trouble

Postby Tekno-Crystal » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:54 am

Could you go into more detail? Is it a physical problem with the disk? Is the GameCube (or Dreamcast) not reading the disk? Could be a number of problems, could you possibly tell us more?
Tekno-Crystal

Pso Trouble

Postby Halikus » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:03 am

Hey man if its the disc thats scratched etc there is a device called "skip Dr" it is a cd polishing kit which works incredibly well. I used it to fix my pso disc and now load times have fallen and I dont get stuck in transoprt anymore. This kit comes standard for use with dvd/cd size discs although there is an adaptor for GC minidisc. If its the laser however you will need to send machine away for surgery.
Halikus

Pso Trouble

Postby Ein Tyrion » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:48 pm

It might be that my bro beat the DC to dear life....but still, it only shuts on and off with PSO
Ein Tyrion

Pso Trouble

Postby Benoit » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:56 pm

Wait a minute. Did you say on and off?! I know EXACTLY what your problem is.<br>After about a year of use, the Dreamcast starts rebooting in the middle of games for seemingly no reason. It's due to some connectors losing their grip a bit due to the aging of metal, close to the power board, if I remember correctly.<br>I can give you specific instructions as to how to take care of this problem.<p>I knew that the article I typed over on my PC that I found in a Dreamcast magazine would prove useful again. :)<br>Here it is:<p><i>Science Officer<br>MAXIMUS<p>Relax, and let Maximus soothe your technical fears away.<br>He's the Clare Rayner of the videogame industry y'know.<p>WHY DOES IT REBOOT FOR NO REASON?<br>I have had my trusty Dreamcast for almost a year now (it's<br>a PAL Dreamcast) but lately I've been really worried about<br>it as it's beginning to show some strange effects. It had<br>worked fine until about three weeks ago when suddenly in<br>the middle of a game (any game at all) the Dreamcast<br>annoyingly reboots itself. It's not only happening in the<br>middle of a game, it also happens when I start the<br>Dreamcast, or even when I insert an audio CD to play, it<br>just reboots for no apparent reason.<br>I have treated my Dreamcast with a LOT of respect and<br>handled it quite carefully, so that shouldn't be an issue. I<br>have searched on the Internet for anyone with a similar<br>problem, but haven't found someone, so I couldn't talk to<br>anyone else till now.<br>I've tried cleaning it (though not opening the<br>Dreamcast since I don't know a lot about how it works and<br>I might damage it), by using a lens-cleaner CD and other<br>stuff but nothing seems to work. It's gotten to a point<br>where I can't play any game at all.<br>I hope you can help me with this very serious problem<br>so that I'm not forced to buy a new Dreamcast since<br>I still want to play my games. I will continue my search on<br>the Net for some information but I hope that you can help<br>me Science Officer Maximus since you really know what<br>you're talking about.<p>Marc Maessen, via email<p>It would appear from our mailbag that this is fast<br>becoming a typical, although infrequent fault with<br>Dreamcast. Originally, the Engineering Deck of DC-UK had<br>attributed the problem to dry or possibly dirty solder<br>joints, some models seemingly rectified by regular<br>maintenance. However, there were still reports that some<br>faulty units failed to respond to cleaning. Naturally, there<br>must have been further reasons for such symptoms, a<br>suspicion we had confirmed by a series of technical papers<br>written by B. Varnam from an outpost in Nottingham. His<br>proposal labelled the connectors between the power<br>board and the mother board as the cause of intermittent<br>electrical supply.<br>Our technical staff have run their own tests and I am<br>now party to their findings, confirming B. Varnum's<br>discoveries - the connectors are indeed the culprit.<br>If one should want to undertake such minor internal<br>adjustments, the procedure is as follows:<p>I) Remove modem and screws.<br>II) Carefully remove the switch connector from the top left<br>of the power board. This is the twisted grey wire with the<br>white clip.<br>III) Remove the two brass screws from the power board<br>and unclip from the Dreamcast shell.<p>The source of the problem is the six prongs that join the<br>power board and mother board. It would appear that the<br>contacts can become dirty and eventually lose their grip<br>through general ageing of the metal.<br>Cleaning the prongs and the contacts with WD40 or<br>Isopropanol Alcohol will ensure that both are free or dirt,<br>but it is also possible to bend the prongs forward slightly<br>in order to ensure a tighter fit. Proceed gently and DO NOT<br>USE FORCE. After effecting the task, replace the power<br>board on the prongs, reset the two brass screws, reattach<br>the switch connector and replace and screw up the shell<br>lid and modem.<br>It is worth mentioning that if your Dreamcast is less<br>than a year old, you will invalidate the manufacturer<br>guarantee by carrying out the above. As usual, proceed at<br>your own risk.<br>As always, neither Science Officer Maximus, DC-UK or<br>Future Publishing will be held accountable for any<br>damage, both personal or to property, that arises from<br>inexperienced individuals attempting repairs. Only<br>qualified personnel should carry out the above.</i>
Benoit

Pso Trouble

Postby Ein Tyrion » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:24 am

wow thanks
Ein Tyrion

Pso Trouble

Postby FOrave » Thu May 05, 2005 4:40 pm

cool.
FOrave

Return to Phantasy Star Online