Why knock PSO.

Phantasy Star Online discussions only

Why knock PSO.

Postby Arkhan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:29 pm

I see alot of PS fans, and gamers in general knockin' PSO. I always wonder, why?<p>PSO was the first console online game, the first 3d online game, the first online game w/ a level 255 max, not to mention STILL one of the most customizable character creators. <p>When the game came out, it was this, Diablo 2, or Ultima online. Now, let me tell you, I've had my fair share of both of those games, and neither deliver anything extraordinary. Phantasy Star honestly, is above par to those games. Both UO, and D2 are basic hack n' slash 2d messes. UO has the one up, being an MMORPG with skill systems, houses, etc....but is it 3d, no. Is it on a console, no. <p>Phantasy Star Online may not be the perfect 3d online game, but for the time it game out, its pretty damned good. It's still running now, after what 6 years? Thats only a year younger then UO. ONE year later, and it's miles ahead of the game.....that's typical for sega though? Games that push the current limits, and usually deliver well....<p>There is a nice story to PSO, something UO lacks to this day, and D2 didn't execute very well...., PSO has party systems, chat rooms (the lobbys), Guild cards, and tons of items to collect?!<p>Comparing it to the games of the time, it IS better. It meets, or beats what the other games contain....<p>Comparing to games now is simply idiotic. No kidding FFXI, EQ2, and all of those gamse are better, its 6 yeras later...-_- but, I'll still play PSO over them.....FFXI fell victim to the repetition disease anyways....(level, buy stuff, level, repeat)....<p>Excuse this rambling, but i had to just get that out... >_<<p>stop knockin pso, it was ahead of its time, and was never that bad!!!
Arkhan

Why knock PSO.

Postby Neo48 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:56 pm

I LIKE PSO!!!!!<p>Enough said
Neo48

Why knock PSO.

Postby Arkhan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:58 pm

Exactly! Lol
Arkhan

Why knock PSO.

Postby Neo48 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Ahhhhhh-yeahhhh! :D
Neo48

Why knock PSO.

Postby Kars! » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:27 pm

PSO rocks because it has the best combat system!!<br>Not a boring approach the enemy, select attack, watch until one die ~z~ , <br>but an adrenalinic hit'n'run, be fast or be dead ;) <br>There is much more strategy here than in other games.
Kars!

Why knock PSO.

Postby Benoit » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:24 pm

People feel like bashing PSO because somehow they feel it's not Phantasy Star, while it does contain the elements of it.<p>6 years? In another thread you said 5. You just keep upping the number, eh? It's actually close to 4 years. 23 February is PSO's birthday in the West.
Benoit

Why knock PSO.

Postby Arkhan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:35 pm

game came out in 1999 or 2000, ...either way its a very old game for having such nice visuals. Still has some of the better visuals in any online RPG, ...FFXI isnt so splendid for being 2003. UO, after 7 years hasnt been revamped because EA is mentally slow., etc. etc. and WoW....theres free MMORPGs with the same gfx, (Knight Online). Its pretty blah-o-rific.<p>PSO has tons of phantasy star elements in it, its fantasy/sci fi mixed, the character modeling is clearly phantasy star, the spells, and items etc., ...and other stuff, i mean you play it and you know its PS.<p>And yeah, PSO has the best combat system in an online game. FFXI = /attack then you can do other things while standin around, UO you just clicka nd stand there, maybe heal...its junk.!.....I still say its the best online experience you can get, until Middle Earth Online comes out, ...<br>
Arkhan

Why knock PSO.

Postby Benoit » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:35 am

<blockquote>game came out in 1999 or 2000</blockquote><br>We're in the beginning of 2005, so it can't be more than 5 years according to that.<p>However, PSO came out in Japan in December 2000, and on 23 February 2001 in the rest of the world.
Benoit

Why knock PSO.

Postby LaconianShot » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:16 am

I like PSO. The arguement that PSO is not a PS is foolish.
LaconianShot

Why knock PSO.

Postby Mizehrith » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:37 am

What I think most of the people who dislike PSO for such reasons don't realize is that not only was there a large gap in time between the release dates of Phantasy Star IV and PSO, but also, the series ended with the fourth major installment and so there really can't be a PS V; it'd be virtually impossible unless it took place before PS I, or something. (But then it wouldn't really be Phantasy Star V, because that would entail that the events take place after IV.) On top of that, the game was created by a different team other than the one that created the originals. So the way I see it, at least the Phantasy Star title is still being carried on in some way even though the series ended. (And shouldn't that be seen as a good thing? I would think.)<p>[size=small][Edit by Mizehrith on [TIME]1108206425[/TIME]][/size]
Mizehrith

Why knock PSO.

Postby Forge » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:08 pm

I love PSO! It got me into the PS series.<p>Still, in a similar way to PSIII, which is sometimes reffered to as un-PS-like, PSO is set somewhere completely different to Algo. (Unless Ragol is actually a planet in the Algo system, renamed by the inhabitants of Coral. Or perhaps Coral was in Algo. Numans anyone?)
Forge

Why knock PSO.

Postby Arkhan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:51 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><p>I like PSO. The arguement that PSO is not a PS is foolish.<br></blockquote><p>Does the release date matter that much.....my point is, its being knocked, for being ahead of its time. What other 5 year old online games are that shnazzy.
Arkhan

Why knock PSO.

Postby Mage1 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:44 am

PSO is great!!! <p>Because the dark, blank rooms make it harder.
Mage1

Why knock PSO.

Postby Malakai » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:33 pm

Wait a minute, first recall to my memory the instances in which PSO has been bashed in recent times. I can't think of any within the last few weeks on this board.<p>I would add in my two cents to the thread, but let's just say that the boat already has too many holes in it for me to hop in and give a hand to stop them up.
Malakai

Why knock PSO.

Postby Arkhan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:35 pm

Im not talking about just this board, places in general whenever PSO comes up, They always say, its not PSO, it sucks, yada yada yada,
Arkhan

Next

Return to Phantasy Star Online