Why knock PSO.

Phantasy Star Online discussions only

Why knock PSO.

Postby Malakai » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:40 pm

Well frankly my boy, those are probably the ignorant types that don't know the essence of RPGs anyway. I can say I've ran into plenty of those in my day...
Malakai

Why knock PSO.

Postby LaconianShot » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:33 am

Yes, there's plenty of ignorant people and not nearly enough educated and intelligent people to set them right,
LaconianShot

Why knock PSO.

Postby Arkhan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:37 am

Yeah thats more or less what it is I guess. People who like too much shiney's in their games, and dont care about the content as long as they have pretty things to stare at while they press a button really fast, then throw in some cheatcodes to make it even more redundant and stupid. :)<p>It's pretty lame though when noone knows how to play a game and have fun with it. I can still bust out a Commodore 64 game w/ it's whopping 16 colors, and have fun with it. Some people can't even handle PSO, because it's not Everquest, ...whoopdee doo, everquest is garbage anyways.
Arkhan

Postby Jeric Hikari » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:26 pm

Don't get me wrong, for when it came out PSO was awsome. However ther's really only four enclosed areas to romp around in(seven if you count the two battle modes) for ep1. So you kndof alienate those that like to explore new areas since its just a case of *enter room* *kill monsters so door opens* rinse lather, repeate*. Don't get me wrong, I love that the combat actually requires you to think and move rather than sit there and hit buttons occasionally its just that other than combat and attempting to find IMPOSSIBLE to find weapons unless you sit and grind for +200 hours there's nothing to do.

Then again the dreamcast only allowed for so much. Pity they didn't do more with blueburst. Since, you know, it would've been nice to be able to make items, or have more areas to wander 'round in. Granted il iked how open ep4 felt, but it was all so BLAND. well ok what was there was nice, its just there wasn't much variety going on.
Jeric Hikari
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:58 pm

I don't think it being on the Dreamcast had anything to do with what was possible. And yes, we all know the game is repetitive, but it's fun. That's all that matters in the end. Your argument is like saying "outside of everything you can do in the game there's nothing to do". :/
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Jeric Hikari » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:56 pm

No my argument is 'there's nothing to do but kill things'. True of most games really but in WoW and everquest you at least have an expansive place to romp around in. Ep4 remidied this to an extent(but left me feeling like the devs were pressed for time, or didn't really have any rescources since everything was being funnled into psu).
Jeric Hikari
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

This is an awsome game

Postby X_ulken » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Yeah i think this game is quite awsome indeed
X_ulken
X_ulken
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:23 pm

That's just what PSO is; a hack-and-slash game with RPG elements that's accessible for everyone.

Eh, so what if WoW has a world to romp around in? It's a static, boring world in which you don't make any difference.
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:30 am

I personally still prefer the PSO and PSU games due to their anti-hot key nature. Hot-key games are getting stale. Just push F3 to launch and watch your attack. Combo stringing is more entertaining.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Danny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:05 am

PSO is my favorite online game of all time! Not only was it way ahead of it's time but the grapics still can comparing to even many of the new games. I really loved slashing enemies with a saber until they dropped. I got bored in leveling up in many other games, but PSO has always kept me entertained in the leveling up process. Mostly because of how upbeat it was.

I don't think that I'll ever get bored of this game. It allows you to customize any character in your preference, therefore enhancing the experience during game play. The vast amounts of different items and enemies are amazing. I also like the four people team option that exists and the quick default lines that can be used. I haven't seen any game more advanced that was released during it's time with these many features and options. At least not that I know of, but even if there was, you can bet that it didn't have such a great story that PSO had nor any of the other things that have made this game so great among players who actually have an IQ higher than a rabbit's... (Note: Of course I don't mean anyone here. I was commenting on people in general like the author of this topic was.)

I also don't get why so many ignorant gamers dislike PSO and other games in the PS series? It seems that most modern games today are all about insane destruction and stupidity. What ever happened to good story and characters? Then again, there are more ignorant people in the world than intelligent ones. Whew, I'm thankful that I've found this place! Other video gaming fourms seem to have also fallen for this new trend...
Run for your lives! It's the huge sandworm that never reaches you!
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby X_ulken » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:26 am

wow man that is what i was thinking and you said it so good. it is also my favorite game and the level theory of your's is correct also my only shame is that i have yet to play it online (man i suck) but when i do it will KEEP ME AROUND FOR+EVER.
X_ulken
X_ulken
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Jeric Hikari » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:44 pm

It IS quite good. However I'm not going to give it a metaphorical handjob fanboi rant just because this is a phantasy star message board. I like it for what it is, I just got bored with it because I couldn't find a team to play with, at which point it started getting boring because PSO's big draw was being able to run around an alien planet killing thigns with a team.

Oh and to the person going on about the 'ignorant' people. Yes lets see, PSO has a story, sure, but till blue burst you really didn't catch much of it, and even then its the same as every other PS game out there/most eighties era RPGs)kill the uberwizard/monster). It isn't BAD, but the hieght of game-based storytelling it is not.

Still, its one of thsoe games I've got a soft spot for. I plan on getting PSU when things stabilize here even though I couldgo on about the things that I loathe about said game(which revolve mainly around presentation/voice acting issues and the fact that sega, YET AGAIN seemed to have thrown us into another universe...but we'll have to see what the expansion says aboutthe 'classic' ralgol areas for that verdict to stand or fall on).
Jeric Hikari
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Oh and to the person going on about the 'ignorant' people. Yes lets see, PSO has a story, sure, but till blue burst you really didn't catch much of it

That's only true if you

-didn't read any of Rico's pods
-didn't read any of Flowen's logs
-didn't play any quests

PSO has a story, and it's not just "go kill the bad guy". Play the quests, read the messages, and you'll see there's more to it.
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:09 am

You haven't witnessed story until you get the Ragol Ring :P
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby X_ulken » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:00 pm

:twisted: yeah it has a pretty solid story actually i appreciate it alot and plus if youplay it on a higher dificulty the bosses change too
X_ulken
X_ulken
Locusta
Locusta

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star Online