METAL \m/

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

METAL m/

Postby Nightmare » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:17 pm

It seems like there are a lot of metal fans in this forum and I like it !!! Here's the topic where you can go ahead and post things about your favorite bands and just talk metal... go ahead and post!
Nightmare

METAL m/

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:21 pm

Mastodon wil become the new kings of metal in the next ten years. Their forst two albums are considered to be amongst the greatest every released.<p>For the time being Machinehead shall now reign supreme now that they are done with their nu-metal ways of Supercharger and will continue to make great albums like burn my eyes and Ashes of an empire.<br>
HuBBsDoctor

METAL m/

Postby Xian Shade » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:45 pm

I feel so out of it... I haven't listened to metal since high school, and I haven't heard of any of these bands...
Xian Shade

METAL m/

Postby Coldfury » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:06 pm

I screwed up and made an Amon Amarth plug in the 'whine at me' post.<br>Seriously though, they're quickly replacing Slayer as my favorite metal band.
Coldfury

METAL m/

Postby LaconianShot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:38 am

Hell yeah! I'm a fan of power metal, traditional heavy metal, thrash metal, speed metal, symphonic metal, progressive metal and some black and death metal. I have been known to listen to folk metal occasionally, though I don't make it a habit. <p>My favorite metal band would be Iron Maiden. You can't possibly like metal if you don't like Iron Maiden, for they define it. Black Sabbath are heralded with starting metal, and that is true, but no band performs like Iron Maiden, and no group has perfected New Wave of British Heavy Metal like Iron Maiden has. And they've only gotten better with age (the exceptions being the two albums Blaze Bailey sung on, bot because a lack of Bruce Dickinson's voice and because they seemed to lack songwriting ability for a while). <p>My favorite metal bands aside from Iron Maiden are Megadeth, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Nile, Cruachan, Immortal, Motorhead and Demons & Wizards. <br>
LaconianShot

METAL m/

Postby Nightmare » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:17 am

My favorites (I've been in a death metal moos recently but I like all of it) are Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Trivium and then I go back to teh first metal bands I ever listened to like Metallica, Sonata Arctica and Blind Guardian
Nightmare

METAL m/

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:06 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Nightmare</i><p>My favorites (I've been in a death metal moos recently but I like all of it) are Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Trivium and then I go back to teh first metal bands I ever listened to like Metallica, Sonata Arctica and Blind Guardian<br></blockquote><p>I hate to break your heart.... but those aren't metal bands. They're all hardcore.
HuBBsDoctor

METAL m/

Postby Forge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:30 pm

I'm a massive fan of Hammerfall, but I'm getting quite into Rhapsody and Dragonforce recently.<p>I must also agree with Laco - there is no British Metal band like Maiden. They define British Metal.<p>I'm also a fan of our older metal, such as Judas Priest.
Forge

METAL m/

Postby DaveGeorge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:29 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by HuBBsDoctor</i><p>I hate to break your heart.... but those aren't metal bands. They're all hardcore.<br></blockquote><p>Hardcore? I haven't heard Trivium, but neither Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, In Flames, Metallica, Blind Guardian or Killswitch Engage are concidered hardcore...<p>Bands I like:<br>Helloween<br>Dio<br>Edguy<br>In Flames<br>Dark Tranquillity<br>Arch Enemy<br>Freak Kitchen<br>Children of Bodom<br>King Diamond/Mercyful Fate<br>Metallica<br>Iron Maiden<br>Judas Priest<p>Among others....<br><p>[size=small][Edit by DaveGeorge on [TIME]1126647084[/TIME]][/size]
DaveGeorge

METAL m/

Postby LaconianShot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:45 pm

<blockquote>I hate to break your heart.... but those aren't metal bands. They're all hardcore.</blockquote> <br>Sorry Hubbs. Look those most of those bands up on metalstorm and you'll get death metal. They define themselves as death metal. Early Metallica is thrash and later Metallica is crappy rock. And I don't even know how you could mistake Sonata Arctica and Blind Guardian for hardcore... they're so blatantly power metal. <p><blockquote>...but I'm getting quite into Rhapsody...</blockquote> <br>You know, I don't mind Rhapsody, but as far power metal goes, the only band fruitier than them is Manowar. However, it's damn cool that Christoper Lee narrates for them, and I must say that Fabio Lione has a nice voice.<p>Pertaining to Judas Priest, I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I've never been able to get into them. I don't know why.
LaconianShot

METAL m/

Postby Siren » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:14 pm

Haha! Some great taste here! I like Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Megadeth, Nile, Demons & Wizards, Dream Theater and more when I think of them.<p>As for Hammerfall, I'm surprised that someone else here likes them. They're fairly unknown. So Forge, how did you like their latest album "Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken"? I personally loved it, and Knights of the 21st Century is a masterpiece.
Siren

METAL m/

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:10 am

Killswitch Engage, Trivium and In Flames are all hardcore bands. I've listened to their music and I have seen them all live as well.<p>And if you ask me, all these sub categoies for differnet styles of metal are rather obnoxious. To me there is death metal, heavy metal, hair metal, metal, hardcore, nu-metal, screamo, emo, punk rock, pop punk, hardcore punk, modern rock, classic rock, alternative rock and that should be that.<p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1126664329[/TIME]][/size]
HuBBsDoctor

METAL m/

Postby Coldfury » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:15 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by HuBBsDoctor</i><p>Killswitch Engage, Trivium and In Flames are all hardcore bands. I've listened to their music and I have seen them all live as well.<p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1126663884[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p>God damnit I hate all new bands. Yes I'm prejudiced! F&$* your couch, N$@&a!<p>EDIT: I realized I only recognized Killswitch... the others, I have no idea whether they're new or not.<p>[size=small][Edit by Coldfury on [TIME]1126664199[/TIME]][/size]
Coldfury

METAL m/

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:27 am

Just looking at my list of rock genres, I think there's too many categories in there as well.<p>I just find it obnoxious to goto a mteal site and see 20+ genres of metal or rock. Some of which I think were made up. Looking at metal storm and realizing that they don't have Hardcore listed is rather shameful a sveral bands listed are actually hardcore. But instead are thrown into categories like Gothenberg metal, Grindcore(?), or Aventgarde(!?).<p>Just a small example. Killswitch Engage and Arch enemy are very similar bands. Only diference Arch Enemy has a chick vocalists/growler. Both are hardcore, but both are labeld in two different categories in Metalstorm. Also Lamb of God is definitely not thrash metal.<p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1126664866[/TIME]][/size]
HuBBsDoctor

METAL m/

Postby Forge » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:53 am

Yeah Siren, I did get Chapter V : Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken. I really like it - it reminds me of some of the early stuff. I really like Secrets and Fury of the Wild, and I'm unsure about Imperial.<p>The only album I need to get is Legacy of Kings. I even have One Crimson Night...
Forge

Next

Return to General Discussion