METAL \m/

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

METAL m/

Postby Alayshia » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:15 am

I just love Type O Negative, whichever "metal" catagory you prefer to place them in. =)
Alayshia

METAL m/

Postby zoothe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:27 pm

Yeah, Type O rules. I hope they get off their asses and make a new album soon.<p>I also like The Smiths!!!!!!! MORRISSEY METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>Sorry, I had to throw that in there. Actually I used to be heavy into metal (like a decade ago), but no longer. The last metal album I bought was "The System Has Failed" by Megadeth (which pwns!!!!).
zoothe

METAL m/

Postby Nightmare » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:27 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by HuBBsDoctor</i><p>Killswitch Engage, Trivium and In Flames are all hardcore bands. I've listened to their music and I have seen them all live as well.<p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1126663884[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Coldfury</i><p>God damnit I hate all new bands. Yes I'm prejudiced! F&$* your couch, N$@&a!<p>EDIT: I realized I only recognized Killswitch... the others, I have no idea whether they're new or not.<p>[size=small][Edit by Coldfury on [TIME]1126664199[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p>Killswitch actually dates back to about 1995 so they're not new<br>
Nightmare

METAL m/

Postby Nightmare » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:43 pm

AND! last time I checdked Trivium was considered thrash metal.
Nightmare

METAL m/

Postby Coldfury » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:48 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by HuBBsDoctor</i><p>Killswitch Engage, Trivium and In Flames are all hardcore bands. I've listened to their music and I have seen them all live as well.<p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1126663884[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Coldfury</i><p>God damnit I hate all new bands. Yes I'm prejudiced! F&$* your couch, N$@&a!<p>EDIT: I realized I only recognized Killswitch... the others, I have no idea whether they're new or not.<p>[size=small][Edit by Coldfury on [TIME]1126664199[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Nightmare</i><p>Killswitch actually dates back to about 1995 so they're not new<p></blockquote><p>'scuse me, new to ME then ;)
Coldfury

METAL m/

Postby Siren » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:01 pm

@Forge: I liked Imperial. Instrumentals are always nice, and that song just sits well with me. Kind of calming.<p>I haven't bought any of their earlier stuff because of how little recognition they have, at this point in time. I was lucky to find this album in my CD shop.
Siren

METAL m/

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:14 pm

Hubbs, you're then only person I've ever met who categorizes In Flames and Arch Enemy as hardcore, versus the many people who categorize them as death metal. Metal Storm, The Metal Observer, Metal Maniacs-- they all call them death metal. Most of these people are metal journalists, they know their shit. <p><blockquote>...they don't have Hardcore listed...</blockquote> <br>That's because hardcore is more of a punk subgenre than a metal subgenre. <p><blockquote>But instead are thrown into categories like Gothenberg metal, Grindcore(?), or Aventgarde(!?).</blockquote> <br>Gothenburg is an area of Sweden that has a particular sound to it's death metal bands, and area specific style. When a band like In Flames are "Gothenburg metal", it's a way of saying that they're a death metal band with a Gothenburg sound. Really a distinction that I think unnecessary, but relatively minor if you know it's significance.<br>As for Grindcore, I'm surprised you don't know about it, seeing that you listen to hardcore. Grindcore is a heavier and faster version of Hardcore. <br>Lastly, Avantgarde has been around for ages, and just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean that it's not legitimate.<p><blockquote>Both are hardcore, but both are labeld in two different categories in Metalstorm.</blockquote> <br>I've already explained that they're not hardcore, but as far as being put into two seperate categories... what the hell are you smoking? I visited the site, checked both bands, and they're both categorized as Gothenburg metal.<p>But anyway, enough of that. <p>Anybody else buy the new Iron Maiden live album, Death on the Road? It totally knocked me off my ass!
LaconianShot

METAL m/

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:40 am

Cannibal corpses thats death metal. In Flames and Arch Enemy aren't even close to being considered to fit in that genre.<p>Also Hardcore has actually changed now which is why it is no longer a punk category unless you call it hardcore punk to keep people from getting confused. Me being a man caught between punk and metal( but I am more punk if anything, 65%/45%) am kind of angered by this just a little bit.
HuBBsDoctor

METAL m/

Postby LaconianShot » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:53 pm

<blockquote> In Flames and Arch Enemy aren't even close to being considered to fit in that genre. </blockquote> <br>Me and the rest of the metal community will disagree.<p>Anyway, I do agree that the metal and punk have blended a bit, but it doesn't surprise me. Indeed, it happened a long time ago, with thrash metal being the first result of that.
LaconianShot

METAL m/

Postby Damien 1234 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:11 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><br>Hell yeah! I'm a fan of power metal, traditional heavy metal, thrash metal, speed metal, symphonic metal, progressive metal and some black and death metal. I have been known to listen to folk metal occasionally, though I don't make it a habit. <br></blockquote><p>wow, how many kinds of metal are there?! I only know about black, heavy, and traditional. but anyways, I like Cradle of Filth, Metallica, Disturbed, KoRn, System of a Down, and Slipknot.<br>
Damien 1234

METAL m/

Postby Nightmare » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:35 am

My brother just brought home a Dragon Force and all I have to say is holy sh*t. It's a mix of trivium and Sonata Arctica. My 2 favorite bands of all time... I think I'm gonna have to add another to the list
Nightmare

METAL m/

Postby Siren » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:41 am

<blockquote>wow, how many kinds of metal are there?! I only know about black, heavy, and traditional. but anyways, I like Cradle of Filth, Metallica, Disturbed, KoRn, System of a Down, and Slipknot.</blockquote> <p>Ironically, none of those bands are any 3 of the types you mentioned.<p>Cradle of Filth, despite a common misconception, is Gothic Metal. Metallica is thrash. Disturbed, Korn and [S]Shitknot [/S] Slipknot are Nu-Metal. System of a Down is alternative rock.
Siren

METAL m/

Postby Lamanai » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:52 am

Ah, metal. What a wonderful genre. Iced Earth happens to be one of my faves at the moment.
Lamanai

METAL m/

Postby LaconianShot » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:36 pm

<blockquote>Iced Earth happens to be one of my faves at the moment.</blockquote> <br>Awesome! What did you think of their latest album, The Glorious Burden? And what do you think of Tim Owens as a vocalist in comparison to Matt Barlow?
LaconianShot

METAL m/

Postby Damien 1234 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:17 am

lol, I never said System of a Down was any type of metal, nor did I say Metallica, those are just the bands I like, I also like Static-X, but I forgot to post that earlier
Damien 1234

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion