whats the safest best way to play import PS2 games???

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby Saner2 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:30 pm

is this a good shop to get import mods?<p>http://www.ncsx.com/<p>and what should I by? I prefer something that doesnt require soldering. my PS2 has a slide tray (not the slim ps2). but I heard swap magic requires a slider that I heard may damage your PS2 tray. <p>aaaah. it's so tough finding out the best thing to buy and from where. I cant afford just buying a japanese PS2. <p>
Saner2

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:39 am

You can only play import games two ways. change the ps2 cd drive to a flip cover or buy a mod chip.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby zoothe » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:44 am

Once again:<p> <blockquote> Posted Saturday, January 29, 2005 @ 07:19 AM <p>I only spent $35 to get mine to play imports.... but I've posted the process so many times I don't want to post it anymore. Here's the quote: <p>I'll just post what I did to play the Japanese game on my US Playstation 2: <br>Researching the possible ways to "mod" my PS2, I found that they are few and quite complicated. Mod Chips are way too expensive and complicated. Plus, the possibility of screwing it up is pretty good, and your PS2 is now broken, the warranty is voided and so on. <p>The Swap Magic discs are the way to go. You get two discs (one for CD-ROM games and one for DVD-ROM games) which act as boot discs. You power on your PS2 with the disc in the drive and when the screen prompts you, you take the Swap Disc out and put whatever game you want to play in and off you go. The only catch is that you need to be able to open the cd tray of your PS2 without resetting the system. The two ways you can do this are: the Slide Card, and the Flip Top Lid. <p>The Slide Card requires you to pop off the front cover of the cd/dvd tray on your PS2. To open the tray while the machine is on, you take this plastic card and insert it under the left side of the tray, slide it to the right and then back to the left. The tray will pop open, you swap the discs, and then you have to repeat the slide card process in order to close the tray. It looked pretty tricky from the pictures and instructions I saw on the net. <p>The Flip Top Lid (the one that I went with) is WAAAY easy. The only complicated part is installing it (especially when mine arrived, it didn't come with any instructions). You are basically replacing the top cover of your PS2 with a new one that allows access to the cd/dvd drive via a flip top lid. You also have to pop the memory card slot covers and the reset and eject button assembly off your old top cover and put them in your new one, but it's really easy. Also, you have to remove the top cover of the cd/dvd drive itself (about 8 little screws). Once it's off, if you look at the underside, you'll see this little white, free moving disc of plastic. Take that out and install it in the underside of your Flip Top Lid. I bought the lid and the swap discs together for $33 shipped (which was only a little more than the Slide Card). <p>http://www.all4console.com/ps2_reference17.htm <p>I have no info on a translation of the game, but so far I've managed to get pretty far (I have the luveno, the landrover and hovercraft and am looking for the Laconian Sword) without being able to read Japanese at all. It's pretty similar to the original, with a few exceptions (like that stupid roadpass!!!) so if you know the original and you're as determined as I was, you shouldn't have too much trouble. <p>Sorry if this is a tad long or whatever. <p> <br> <p>Apparently you must check first to see if your PS2 is compatible withe the flip-top but if it is, I feel it's the best alternative to mod-chips. Also, someone told me they almost broke their cd tray trying to use the slide card, so the swap discs + flip top = best choice <p></blockquote> <br><p>[size=small][Edit by zoothe on [TIME]1107395156[/TIME]][/size]
zoothe

Postby Saner2 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:34 pm

thanks! flip top sounds cool but I only have slide tray PS2.
Saner2

Postby zoothe » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:47 pm

Yeah, this is something you buy to REPLACE the slide tray. It's an entirely different top cover that you put on your PS2.... %)
zoothe

Postby WolfHunt » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:55 pm

is a flip cover like a walkman's/ PS1 / Dreamcast's cd put -in thing?
WolfHunt

Postby Saner2 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:45 pm

whoa so the new flip cover replaces the entire top of the PS2??? o_O<br>
Saner2

Postby zoothe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:20 am

yeah.... it's all detailed in that big post I made up there. If you really want to play imports and don't want to MOD your PS2, I'm telling you, this is the way to do it.<p>Here's a link that might answer some other questions (read it!!)<p> http://www.swapmagic3.com/fliptopfaq.htm
zoothe

Postby Saner2 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:52 pm

thanks
Saner2

Postby Saner2 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:28 am

oh cool it has nice step by step instructions. <p>now I just gotta figure out what version PS2 I got since it isn't slim. ^_^ <p>or do you think I should trade in my old PS2 for a new one? <br>yeah I can pay off the rest for a slim PS2. How much easier is it to install it on that newer model?<p>and what's the best store and specific item(s) I have to buy. it seems I got a 6 screw PS2 but I dunno it seems to be covered by pads or something.<p>[size=small][Edit by Saner2 on [TIME]1108542526[/TIME]][/size]<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Saner2 on [TIME]1108542674[/TIME]][/size]
Saner2

Postby zoothe » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:14 pm

<blockquote>yeah I can pay off the rest for a slim PS2. How much easier is it to install it on that newer model? </blockquote> <p>I dunno, I've never messed with the new PS2s.<p> <blockquote>and what's the best store and specific item(s) I have to buy.</blockquote> <p>Not quite sure what you mean...<p> <blockquote>it seems I got a 6 screw PS2 but I dunno it seems to be covered by pads or something.</blockquote> <p>The rubber pads on the bottom of the PS2 pop off and the screws are located beneath them. There's no glue involved :D
zoothe

Postby Saner2 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:08 pm

kewl! but like where did you get your flip top lid? does it come with the disc you use to swap? does it come with everything you need? <p>where did you order it and what website? and what specific set should I click on to order?
Saner2

Postby ill-intent » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:57 pm

I know you've already decided on the flip method, but just incase someone still isn't sure......<p> DO NOT DO THE CHIP!!! The instant you put one of those suckers in your PS2, you've started a counter that leads to your system's imminent burn-out. On average, if you take care of your system and don't play the crap out of it, you've got 1 year. Less if you play bootlegs. I've known too many people who's systems died. <p> (if you're curious how I got around it, my PS2 is japanese ;) )
ill-intent

Postby Saner2 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:33 pm

thanks! yeah the swap disk and fliptop cover is all I need, right? <p>
Saner2

Postby Saner2 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:00 am

where is the best place to order the fliptop lid and swap magic disk. is that all I need? about how long will it take to arrive?
Saner2

Next

Return to General Discussion