Gameplay or Graphics

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby ghost_stalker » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:12 pm

Which would you rather have a game with good gamplay and sucky graphics or a game with awesome grahcs but the gameplay sucks.
ghost_stalker

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby ill-intent » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:19 pm

Um, neither. I'd rather have a game with good story.
ill-intent

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby Lassic's Chllun » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:43 pm

Gameplay, definately. Case in point, PS4- now considered to have sucky graphics, but I love the gameplay.
Lassic's Chllun

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby Benoit » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:36 pm

Games are there to play, so gameplay, of course. :D<br>Without good gameplay, you wouldn't play it for long...
Benoit

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby LaconianShot » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:07 pm

Gameplay. Graphics should always be secondary. Let's put it this way...<br>Do you want to play a game where a pear climbs stairs, even if it looks great? No. Why? Because that's boring. Gameplay needs to come first.
LaconianShot

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby Neo48 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:09 pm

Many games have good gameplay. But I look for "enjoyable" gameplay.
Neo48

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby Malakai » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:29 am

Good gameplay passes the time - enjoyable gameplay means there's a good story.
Malakai

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby Lassic's Chllun » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:14 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><p>Gameplay. Graphics should always be secondary. Let's put it this way...<br>Do you want to play a game where a pear climbs stairs, even if it looks great? No. Why? Because that's boring. Gameplay needs to come first.<br></blockquote><p>Well, I would probably play that game. After all, it must have a wonderful plotline to be out on the market :)
Lassic's Chllun

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby Shell Presto » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:16 am

I agree. I find myself constantly returning to old nintendo and atari games solely because they are fun to play. Of course, their graphics are lacking, but with your imagination, good control, and a goal to work towards, who needs graphics?
Shell Presto

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby ROMeo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:35 am

It depends on the system we're talking about.<p>Right now I'm playing PS1 for the SMS, and obviously I won't demand stunning graphics from an 8bit system (even if for 8bit, PS is truly amazing), but if we talk about say, Xbox, then I want both good gameplay AND good graphics. I mean, I paid a small fortune for that Bill Gates-spawn, so whichever game I spend my money on for that console must both keep me hooked on the controller AND reward me for the 300 USD I invested on that console, I don't settle for any less.<p>However, the more addicting game will always be.... TETRIS (and 90% of its permutations). :)
ROMeo

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby LaconianShot » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:23 pm

I find that older games can be stunning, but more often I find them charming. PSI is an example of a stunning 8-bit game, though it's also incredibly charming. Mario is an example of a charming game. A graphically charming game is as good and sometimes better then a graphically amazing game.
LaconianShot

Gameplay or Graphics

Postby ROMeo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:09 pm

That's true, the magic of simplicity.<p>A perfect example is FF-VII vs FF-VIII. 7 had those big-headed, SD models. However, the designs were so charmingly simple they just didn't need anything else, they were perfect in their own way. With FF-VIII, on the other side, they strained so much on the graphics that the game rather looked to me like a PS2 game that arrived too ahead of schedule.<p>Making a long story short, the more detail you put into something, the more detail it needs, while the simpler you make something, the more complete it looks. :)
ROMeo

Return to General Discussion