A new gaming console from SEGA?

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

It is possible?

Highly unlikely.
53%
I dream of it / hopefully.
47%
For sure!
No votes
No opinion.
No votes

Total votes : 17

Postby GaryOak » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:29 am

BenoitRen wrote:Too bad for you. I guess you liked the horrible games better.

Wait, I get it; you're one of those who got their panties in a bunch because Sonic turns into a werehog, right?

Yeah, werehog was a big shock. It could have been tolerable game without it. But it wasn't just that, I didn't like Sonic Adventure, Heroes, Secret Rings etc either. I like Sonic 1,2,3,Knuckles, 3D. Adventure was okay but it had some ultimate failures.
GaryOak
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm

OK, so you don't like how Sonic plays in 3D. That's fine. There are the Sonic Rush games on DS for you. :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby suoturska » Sat May 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Likely isn't going to happen, but if they did release a new system, going against Sony and Microsoft could only end in disaster.

Hence it would be better to go after an untapped market, like Nintendo did with the Wii. Of course, the wagglebox market isn't untapped anymore, so they'd have to come up with something else.

One thing that comes to mind is that they could put out a 2D-focused console with no 3D capabilities whatsoever and market it towards the retro nuts.

With no direct competition, they wouldn't need to use expensive top-of-the-line hardware. This means they should be able to manufacture it for cheap, not having to sell it at a loss, but turning a profit from the get go instead. It probably wouldn't be a huge seller, though, but it could well be a profitable venture for them anyway.

And they could still keep making 3D games for the other platforms as well, of course, treating this new system as only one part of their bigger gaming business.
suoturska
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Wing-0 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:40 am

No, they are not doing all that bad, but that's because they're going the surefire way. How many iterations have we seen of the Phantasy Star franchise in recent years? THREE: PSO, PSU and PS0. They tried the Shinobi franchise, only two games came out. How many new IPs are surfacing lately? Not many. Valkyria Chronicles is for me the most interesting. And the success of their consoles can be attributed to other factors. The SMS was NEVER all that powerful outside Brasil AND to a certain extent Europe. Megadrive was a success, a big one, but for a while, until the execs decided to pull the plug in favor of their newer hardware. The Sega CD and 32X were mere addons. I read a version of the history of Sega on IGN, a lenghty article, read it for a side of the story. I may add that they interviewed former Sega executives, so the info may be more credible. If you ask me, Sega has always been shooting itself on the foot... With a shotgun... Lousy executives make up for a company that bleeds money.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

strap-on to my previous message

Postby Wing-0 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Get that grin off your face... =P

The thing is, Sega has ALWAYS had an executive board that acted kind of wonky. One of the top execs wanted out of the console business, others wanted to stay, etc. That's known history. The mess comes when Sammy partners in with Sega. They must know the story of how Sega ended up in the condition it was back then. Would they be willing to invest a HUGE amount of money to make a new console? Especially with those three where they are? Nintendo is starting to lose the head with the Wii, but its DS remains on top, Sony is sliiiiightly beginning to eat the cake on Microsoft's plate... Doubt it will continue like that, but eh... The point is, the competition at this moment leaves no room I think for a new console. Once Sega gets into more stable ground I expect them to try newer IPs, but definitely a new console is OUT of the possible outcome... EVER.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Glue this to my last post...

Postby Wing-0 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 am

...Just so I don't have to say strap-on... No wait, I did! =P

And no, I am NOT a Sega hater, I'm not a Sonic hater, and I'm definitely NOT a Sony fan... (Although I do hate Microsoft). I just see things in a survivalist way. Sega must first make a good foundation for them to prosper, but in the light of their console history, I see it as a null possibility to see them attempting that stunt ever again.

Which leads me to the next point... Sega the innovator company has been downplayed by Sega the Idon'twannadie company. Sad but true... And I'll add something else... I loved the Sonic Adventure games... Never got to play the newer ones because I didn't have a newer console, and while I saw Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes, I didn't have the cash since I was spending it on other stuff... like food... and school... and water... and electricity... and well, pretty much keeping myself alive like the rock tune goes... 1000000 points to the person who tells me where that tune is from... =)
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Re: Glue this to my last post...

Postby Mono » Sun May 31, 2009 1:27 am

WING-0 wrote:...Just so I don't have to say strap-on... No wait, I did! =P

May I sniff your underwear?
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Postby Wing-0 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:14 am

You can go RIGHT AHEAD, they're FRESH.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby paladinrpg » Sun May 31, 2009 3:46 am

Totally agree with you about SEGA's schitzo exec's (not forgiving them ever for burying the Dreamcast)

Though the previous idea about a retro gaming system would certainly be an interesting proposition if they could ever get back to their old level, but with the current success of retrogaming via online download stores on so many consoles it would be almost redundant. Sega is really best focused on innovation in the software sphere, but it does make me sad they are not so much innovating as just trying to milk all their old franchises to avoid being swallowed up and vanishing entirely. Sega going out with a whimper is a really disconcerting thought, as despite their manic depressiveness and now almost desperation you still want to keep rooting for them, thinking of the old glory days.
"Someone keeping information from me is the sixth most dangerous thing in this world!" -Alys
paladinrpg
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby ThugsRook » Sun May 31, 2009 4:13 am

they should make a true quality hi-def console that can play anything SMS or SMD from ROMs on USB thumb drives :P

...with usb controllers too 8)
ThugsRook
Blastoid
Blastoid

Previous

Return to General Discussion