I need to ask since I'm totally ignorant about laptops...

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

I need to ask since I'm totally ignorant about laptops...

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Reposting lost thread:
WING-0, Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:51 pm wrote:Okay, I'm being offered a machine with these characteristics:

ACER Aspire One AOA110-1633 (LU.S030A.016)

Processor: Intel® Atom™

chipset Intel® 945GSE Express a 1.6GHz/512KB L2/533MHz FSB

512MB RAM (512) DDRII-533Mhz

Flash Memory: NAND 8GB

Reader (card reader?) 5-in-1 (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)

8.9" screen TFT Activa WXGA (1024x600) CrystalBrite

Web cam

Red Fast Ethernet 10/100 Mbps

Wireless 802.11BG

Software: OpenOffice 2.3, Aspire one Mail, Messenger

Color: Zaphire blue

Weight: 995 g

How is that? I don't need a heavy machine, to run many games (the ones I'd like to run are pretty light), what I need it basically is for work, study and not much else.

What do you think? Good buy? Bad buy?

What I'd need to do is stick a windows XP for games (the few I want) and a good Linux for work, etc.

What about the processor and RAM?

BenoitRen, Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:53 pm wrote:That looks like a pretty good laptop for what you intend to use it.

The processor is good, especially for battery life. The amount of RAM should be enough, but the Flash memory (which I'm assuming functions as a hard drive) might be a little small depending on how light the games you want to play are on install size.

I do have to note that Acer laptops are hit-and-miss when it comes to cooling. My Acer laptop is fine, but my brother's and sister's tend to overheat.

WING-0, Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:27 pm wrote:That is true indeed...

A teacher of mine has one as well, and they tend to heat up very quickly and highly...

But sadly, for that price, there is really nothing better from what I have managed to find in my area, and if I'll be buying that, then I'm afraid I'll have to fork some extra cash for a good fan... Or... Maybe improvise something...

Semix, Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:29 pm wrote:I wouldnt want to get Linux. Microsoft is most compatable. Plus theres a new OS from MS soon so id wait for that. But i have heard of a Google OS aswell. Google are taking over the word (just gotta crush yahoo) so its probably another good choice.

BenoitRen, Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:56 pm wrote:You still have a lot to learn, Semix.

WING-0, Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm wrote:I don't really like Microsoft, to be honest. Their products' quality, and the fees they charge for them is what has been alienating me from them for a long time. Lately, for work and stuff, I prefer Linux, the Ubuntu distribution, to be precise. It's not much, but for work related things, it does its job marvelously, which is why I installed it on my PS3 (although I usually post from the PS3 browser like this). Windows XP is enough for the few games and emulators I like. So basically, Windows is just for playing. I don't rely on it for important stuff anymore...

Plus, Windows 7 is going to be another RAM eating behemot, from what I hear... So no, no more Windows for me... I'd prefer to play more with my consoles than spend money on another M$ OS.

Zucca, Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:34 am wrote:
Semix wrote:I wouldnt want to get Linux. Microsoft is most compatable. Plus theres a new OS from MS soon so id wait for that.

Yeah. Put Win 7 to a single core laptop with half gig RAM. It would choke to death. Swap mem rape parade.

Semix, Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 pm wrote:
WING-0 wrote:I'd prefer to play more with my consoles than spend money on another M$ OS.

Nice. Id like to get the prestige edition of MW2 but ive heard it could cost around £125, so im not sure. Meh. Well getting into little big planet atm. Anyway back to topic...

I may get a new laptop soon, i am not getting linux, probably vista MS7 or Google.

WING-0, Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:26 pm wrote:I'm curious about about the Google OS too...

On a good note, I found another version of that little laptop with TWICE the RAM and 10 times more memory... 80 GB.

All for a little extra money. Nice!! I'm looking forward to that little machine now. It's going to be a good brain!

Sange Mahlay, Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:23 pm wrote:That's actually the laptop that I have. It's a quick little thing and incredibly light. It should be able to run some games with few problems. I experience little to no slowdown and it's really quiet.

Also, I don't know how you're getting it, but I got to choose between XP and Linpus when I got mine.

WING-0, Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:30 pm wrote:there are two choices. One with Linpus and another with Windows XP... The thing is that if I choose the XP version, I'm going to get stabbed with a PINK, CUTE THING.

I need it for school and other things... No friggin' way I'll be caught with a pink laptop ANYWHERE... =P

I had enough questions asked when I was "caught" playing Final Fantasy X-2... HAHAHAHA.

Zucca, Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:13 am wrote:
Semix wrote:I may get a new laptop soon, i am not getting linux, probably vista MS7 or Google.

AFAIK Google OS is just another Linux Distribution. ;)

Abominae, Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:46 pm wrote:Wing-0

You mentioned a laptop that suits your needs (I read the specs, you will be fine), but you didn't mention a price.

I wouldn't pay more than $400 for that laptop.

WING-0, Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:48 am wrote:It's around 320 dlls... making the conversion and stuff...

Heh, curiously enough, I decided against buying that little beauty just yesterday. I was just notifed by a friend of mine that THAT particular series is going to end its production run very soon, to be replaced by another one with better specs... Meaning the older model is going to be sold way cheaper.

While I don't really need much more than that, I decided to wait and see how prices and specifications change before making a buy.

A little bit of observation is best at the moment for me, especially since I've started researching laptop models and learning about their characteristics... Around next month, I'll see what laptop I'll buy.

Abominae, Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:35 pm wrote:Because I'm such a great person...

Acer Aspire ONE 751h-1351 Laptop Computer - Yahoo! Shopping

Be thankful.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Return to General Discussion