Some of the reasons I-m not going to buy Final Fantasy 13...

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Why do you think FFVI in particular is not fun to play? It's not all that different from, say, FFIV in its gameplay system.

A series can be decent to good, and still be overrated. The following is what I think of the games I played:

Final Fantasy I introduced some good ideas, but the NES original is a chore to play and travel. It's not even interesting due to a lack of narrative. You're just dumped into the world.

I quit after the first dungeon. Dragon Quest has aged much better, despite its clunky menu. Let's not forget the original Phantasy Star either.

Final Fantasy IV is really average game. It's playable, but not that interesting story-wise and character-wise.

Final Fantasy V is my favourite. The story moved at a brisk pace, and kept me hooked. The job system was great.

I have mixed feelings on Final Fantasy VI. The first part of the game is awesome. Then you reach the second part, and the game loses all direction. A stark contrast to the first half. And the ending really let me down.

Then the hype machine started. I never played any of those that came out of it, because I never owned a PSX.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:51 pm

BenoitRen wrote:Why do you think FFVI in particular is not fun to play? It's not all that different from, say, FFIV in its gameplay system.

A series can be decent to good, and still be overrated. The following is what I think of the games I played:

Final Fantasy I introduced some good ideas, but the NES original is a chore to play and travel. It's not even interesting due to a lack of narrative. You're just dumped into the world.

I quit after the first dungeon. Dragon Quest has aged much better, despite its clunky menu. Let's not forget the original Phantasy Star either.

Final Fantasy IV is really average game. It's playable, but not that interesting story-wise and character-wise.

Final Fantasy V is my favourite. The story moved at a brisk pace, and kept me hooked. The job system was great.

I have mixed feelings on Final Fantasy VI. The first part of the game is awesome. Then you reach the second part, and the game loses all direction. A stark contrast to the first half. And the ending really let me down.

Then the hype machine started. I never played any of those that came out of it, because I never owned a PSX.

I disagree... The second part of FFVI is very fun too. They tried to go in a non linear route. It's not THAT good, compared to Chrono Trigger, but I didn't feel left off... In fact, it's my top favorite Final Fantasy ever... Never had any complains about the ending either... But that's just my opinion. I also love FFV too.

Regarding the hype machine era, the only I'd recommend to you from among 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12 would be 9 without a doubt.

It has some of the newer things the newer Final Fantasies have, but the core game is similar to the old, 16 bit FFs. It's linear as well, but by that time, most RPGs were linear as hell.

The main characters are all charming. Even Steiner, the knight... Plus, Quina Quen is just... frickin' weird... But has the best line I have read in a FF game... "I do what I want! You got problem!?"
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby The HuBBs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 am

from the so-called hype era of FF games, VII and IX lived up to it. Considering that IX didn't have much hype to begin with. The minute IX hit it was immediatley overshadowed by X which, while having a decent fast pace combat system, had a tacky story and lousy voice acting.
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:18 pm

The second part of FFVI wasn't bad, but it felt out of place after the strong narrative of the first part, and that bugged me.

The ending let me down because it didn't tell me anything about what the characters were going to do now that their quest is over.
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:32 pm

BenoitRen wrote:The second part of FFVI wasn't bad, but it felt out of place after the strong narrative of the first part, and that bugged me.

The ending let me down because it didn't tell me anything about what the characters were going to do now that their quest is over.

As I said, it was one of the first tries at non linearity, I think. It wasn't going to be perfect.

And I thought that thing about stuff to do once the mess was over was more or less covered for most of the characters. Terra would most likely go back to Mobliz, Locke going back to treasure hunting (probably followed by Celes), Edgar back to Figaro, Shadow going to rot for a long while in Kefka's tower's remains, Sabin going back to trying to awaken his Super Saiyajin powers, etc. It didn't become too confusing to me...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Edge » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 am

Why do you think FFVI in particular is not fun to play? It's not all that different from, say, FFIV in its gameplay system.

Final Fantasy 1 was too new of a game to really have a decent intro... I mean, Dragon Warrior 1 not only threw you in the game, but also lacked story through out the entire rest of it... Moving on from DW1, DW2, 3, and 4 all lacked proper information... OH, they'd let you know what item you needed, just fail to mention it's on a 3by1 island in the middle of the ocean...

Still, I LOVED DW1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8... Haven't played 5, or 7... I SHOULD!!!!

Anyhow, FF1 was great! It turned out to have a REALLY interesting story... The ending watch wise was horrible, but then the whole infinite time-loop thing where everything had already happened over an over an keeps repeating was a new and really neat concept... Also, sky ppl, and air ships were first invented in FF1... Really a good game for it's time, and it DID let you know where to go an what to do unlike Dragon Warrior...

Final Fantasy 4, I kind of agree with you, it WAS average, until you got to explore all the side-dungeons, and broke off it's linear style... FF4 introduced "Dungeons that don't need to be beaten with GREAT rewards"... I hate playing the game over, UNTIL I get to the underworld, and all the secret dungeons become playable...

FF6 was the bomb, bottom line, stop hating...

I disagree... The second part of FFVI is very fun too. They tried to go in a non linear route. It's not THAT good, compared to Chrono Trigger, but I didn't feel left off... In fact, it's my top favorite Final Fantasy ever... Never had any complains about the ending either... But that's just my opinion. I also love FFV too.

I couldn't say it much better... Chrono Trigger is my FAVORITE GAME of all time... Shame I never played cross and got to explore the series... FF6 enabled you to beat the game with just 4 ppl, and even threw in a huge mix of hidden characters, and not only that, in the 2nd half, not only do you get to regain each character, but it further explained each person individually, and tied up loose ends in the story. Shadow's dreams (IF he was saved, ae: hidden character) IMPLIED he was Relm's father... Gau got to meet his dad, Strago learned the ultimate technique and defeated his nemesis, and the monster he chased as a child at the same time, Locke got to revive his dead girlfriend (if even for a second), Terra found love... Like, the game's ending sucked because everything you wanted to know you found out by completing the world of ruin... I wish to god MORE games did this, and really got down to EACH character's bio a bit more... It was amazing, and FF6 remains my favorite FF game to this day...

FF5, I never beat... I REALLY loved it, and enjoyed the concept, I got to the second crystal, and my PSX disc got dirty no thanks to my friends who rudely take it out and leave it on the entertainment system to play madden, and ever since then, when I start a new game, and I'm building up, I'm just like "I done did this..." and lose interest... I really need to just man up and play it through so I can see what the big hype is about... LOVE the job system though...
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:52 am

Chrono Cross is damn awesome... The music Yasunori Mitsuda composed for it is still one of the best examples of an excellent soundtrack.

I advise you to hunt it down... If it ever comes out on the Playstation Network, I'm buying it not caring how many people I have to kick on the 'nads...

Have you noticed how we went off topic from my bitching about FFXIII? Keep it up!
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 pm

WING-0 wrote:As I said, it was one of the first tries at non linearity, I think. It wasn't going to be perfect.

Final Fantasy V did it too, and it did it much better, in my opinion.
Edge wrote:Final Fantasy 1 was too new of a game to really have a decent intro...

I'm not sure what you mean, but Phantasy Star had a good intro, and it was released in the same month.
I mean, Dragon Warrior 1 not only threw you in the game, but also lacked story through out the entire rest of it...

But you had messages from the previous hero.
The ending watch wise was horrible, but then the whole infinite time-loop thing where everything had already happened over an over an keeps repeating was a new and really neat concept...

It was also kind of retarded.
Shame I never played cross and got to explore the series...

A shame? It's probably a good thing, as Chrono Cross turns around and renders Chrono Trigger's plot void and seems to kill off Chrono Trigger's characters.
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 pm

The people who like Chrono Cross tend to disagree with you... And why kill? It is shown that there are multiple universes (read: timelines) in Chrono Cross...

Crono and company might be dead in several, alive in others...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Edge » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 am

I'm not sure what you mean, but Phantasy Star had a good intro, and it was released in the same month.

I didn't know that they were released in the same month... I'm not quite as big of a nerd as I would like to be... I guess that is me speaking in an area I didn't know what I was talking about... I'm sorry, next time I'll do my research before opening my mouth.

But you had messages from the previous hero.

Are you implying Final Fantasy 1 didn't have any story what so ever? You have a "LEGEND" in Final Fantasy... Two complete different plots going on there... AN DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU STOPPED PLAYING AFTER THE FIRST BOSS??? Hold on a sec... *Opens another browser to look this up*

I quit after the first dungeon.

Play the entire game, or ATLEAST 10% of it, then come back and argue how horribly it sucked... I'm a HUGE fan, of Dragon Warrior 1, Final Fantasy 1, AND Phantasy Star 1... They're all games I really enjoyed growing up as a kid, and you know what... You're PROBABLY right about them, and if I played them for the first time today, I'd probably hate them... PS1 was a game I didn't get to play until later in life, and it was only my love for the Phantasy Star series that kept me going at some VERY dull moments of the game... But none the less, these are the classics of my childhood, and replaying them, is almost like reliving my childhood, as I was a nerd who stayed inside... I NEVER went outside (for good reason) until I was like... 12 or so... So all of these games are a part of my past (minus PS1, but PS2+ are) and I will always find them to be old gems.

It was also kind of retarded.

You don't get much more cut and dry than that... lol... "I" didn't think so, so meh... We're going to be forced to agree to disagree on that one...

A shame? It's probably a good thing, as Chrono Cross turns around and renders Chrono Trigger's plot void and seems to kill off Chrono Trigger's characters.

ok...

The people who like Chrono Cross tend to disagree with you... And why kill? It is shown that there are multiple universes (read: timelines) in Chrono Cross...

I said I didn't play it yet, man -_-'

-------------------------------------------

ANYHOW, we may all have several disagreements on our style of games (Although Wing-0 seems to be my type of rpg fan), but we all share the same love for Phantasy Star! Right? RIGHT! Either way, I'm playing Final Fantasy 13.

EDIT - Just reread it... Maybe you played the remake on GBA, or PSX... I just picked up on that... BUT BEAT THE NES VERSION STILL!!!! It DOES have story, I promise you, it just doesn't have cut scenes...
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 am

One spoiler... big deal... Just look for the game and play it...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby meteor9 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:11 am

WING-0 wrote:The people who like Chrono Cross tend to disagree with you... And why kill? It is shown that there are multiple universes (read: timelines) in Chrono Cross...

However the fact of the matter is that CC goes to great lengths to show your favorite characters being killed by the massive army of the tiny village to the south of Guardia that's part of Guardia anyway. And Square clearly wanted that to be the case because in CT DS they go through a lot of trouble to set Dalton up as the cause of this invasion.

Dalton. The ultimate joke villain. He kills the entire main cast of CT apparently.

This is all not to mention that the characters in CC are about as touched upon as the cast of PS3, to make a comparison.

So, you're left with a game that looks and sound really pretty but the plot and characters are just slaps to the face. Why would that be well looked upon?
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Wing-0 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:44 pm

INCOMING SPOILERS!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

That thing about Dalton, I did not know about...

I didn't even bring the DS version in, since I was told by someone who has it, that it is the same thing we played back in the days of the SNES...

I seem to remember Porre growing into a militarist nation... Maybe that's why they screwed Guardia?
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:01 pm

WING-0 wrote:The people who like Chrono Cross tend to disagree with you...

Obviously.
Edge wrote:Are you implying Final Fantasy 1 didn't have any story what so ever? You have a "LEGEND" in Final Fantasy...

They sure didn't tell me about it early enough.
Play the entire game, or ATLEAST 10% of it, then come back and argue how horribly it sucked...

The game failed to interest me in its first hour, and its battle system was a pain. Why would I still play it? Keep in mind that I tend to be very forgiving and patient.

I didn't play that much of Dragon Quest either, but what I played I liked and worked well.

I played the NES originals of both, no remakes.
I'm a HUGE fan, of Dragon Warrior 1, Final Fantasy 1, AND Phantasy Star 1... They're all games I really enjoyed growing up as a kid, and you know what... You're PROBABLY right about them, and if I played them for the first time today, I'd probably hate them...

I played the first Phantasy Star many years after it was released. Something like 9 years ago. It doesn't matter to me what time period the games are from, I can enjoy them regardless.
WING-0 wrote:I didn't even bring the DS version in, since I was told by someone who has it, that it is the same thing we played back in the days of the SNES...

It is, but some extra quests were added that unlock a new ending that ties into Chrono Cross.
BenoitRen

Postby Edge » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:14 pm

They sure didn't tell me about it early enough. The game failed to interest me in its first hour, and its battle system was a pain. Why would I still play it? Keep in mind that I tend to be very forgiving and patient.

After you beat the first boss, there's a bridge just north of the town, probably about 10 steps from the castle... If you cross that bridge, it gives you like 6 minutes of storyline, and explains everything to you.

I do, however, agree that if a game isn't interesting you, not to play... I'm just saying you can't really judge an entire game unless you really played the entire game. That's all I was trying to say.

I didn't play that much of Dragon Quest either, but what I played I liked and worked well.

Ah, you got to try Dragon Quest VI!! It was AWESOME... I also enjoyed VIII but... I tend to like VI the most. It's really fun, and sort of has a similar "job" system like Final Fantasy V did... It was REALLY fun. (You could also catch monsters, and add them to your party, and had 3 different worlds for you to explore... It was AWESOME!)

I played the first Phantasy Star many years after it was released. Something like 9 years ago. It doesn't matter to me what time period the games are from, I can enjoy them regardless.

Honestly, I respect the hell out of that... I actually own a Nintendo, and still try to take on Dragon Warrior 1 without dying once every now and again... I played Phantasy Star 1 for the first time, actually not too long ago... I had NO problem with the way cut scenes were done, or the graphics. I had a problem with there being more building up then questing... Thank god (or whoever made it) for frame skipping or it may had been unbearable for me.

WHAT I MEANT THOUGH, was for it's time, you can't really have high expectations of how a game delivers it's story... Final Fantasy 1, when you turn it on, the first thing it does is tell you about the legend, which script wise is longer than Phantasy Star I's intro... I promise it, I can c/p both intros, so I did something really stupid and "ASSUMED" you meant it wasn't delivering it's story well enough, due to it's old ass nature. I shouldn't assume... I just... I dunno, I don't really see your point of Final Fantasy's lack of story... I really don't, and I'm TRYING to see your side, but I just fail to do so.

All in all, I guess it doesn't matter...

Thanks for the heads up on the spoilers, Wing. I'ma reply to your other post here in a few... I've got to do some stuff now, I spent too much time replying to this.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion