TEH ANIMATION THREAD

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

TEH ANIMATION THREAD

Postby Wing-0 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:58 am

Ok, since some of us seem to like anime, I thought it would be good to devote a thread to moving drawings that tell a story. This shouldn't be limited to Japanese animation, but open for ANY kind of animation available.

If you can suggest a good animation, be it a series, mini series or movie, feel free to post.

So far, we have B Gata H Kei, that tells of little Miss Yamada's dumb quest and how she freaks out in the most hillarious ways.

Another, is the heart squishing Elfen Lied that comes to tell a story of ugly gore, violence and hate... But also humanity and love.

Suggestions are welcome!

Oh, and Benoit, if you could grab the posts about Elfen Lied and B Gata H Kei and drop them inside this thread when you can, it'd be helpful to avoid making a mess with topic organization.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Matti_Dethwish » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 am

Maybe you should've made this topic in the anime section. But since you're probably referring to all animation and not just japanese, who am I to know.

But while I'm here I gotta say, Hokuto no Ken is just so... manly.

Writer, Musician, Dreamer
Matti_Dethwish
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Semix » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Family Guy?
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Mono » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:00 pm

I strongly recomend anything signed by Hayao Miyazaki. To me, he is the single best living animator in the world.

Besides him, there is:

Hotaru no Haka - a long anime movie about a boy and his sister in Japan during World War II, VERY emotional

Little Nemo - the boy on his bed and drugs, not the fish

Hoodwinked - an alternative Red Hood tale in 3D CG, very funny

The Secret of NIMH - a movie made in 1982 by former Disney animators, including Don Bluth, probably the best western 2D animation made outside the Disney Studios to that time

The Tales of Phantasia OVA - four 30 minutes long episodes of Arche Klaine goodness and Daos asskicking. Makes me wish Phantasy Star was made by Namco, just to see someone doing this to our favorite series.
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:17 pm

WING-0 wrote:Oh, and Benoit, if you could grab the posts about Elfen Lied and B Gata H Kei and drop them inside this thread when you can, it'd be helpful to avoid making a mess with topic organization.

Unfortunately, phpBB2 doesn't have the ability to merge threads. :(
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:04 pm

There's this old animated movie called Fire and Ice made I dunno when. Most likely the 80's. The animation was supberb because of the technique of using live action actors and then drawing on cels above them. The result is an animated movie with very realistic moving characters. An illustrator named Frank Frazetta had his hand in it and his artistic style is shown throughout the film. He is also quite an interesting man himself.

Mr. Frazetta (or Frazzetta?) also likes to draw Boobie Ladies. =P

I recommend this movie mostly for the excellent animation sequences.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby PSP » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Are we talking about quality of story, or the animation itself?

One I can definitely toss out there is Texhnolyze. It's an extremely depressing series, but it's got beautiful animation and a very well-told story. It's violent though, so don't pop it in unless you're prepared for the amount of blood.

Gungrave and Cowboy Bebop are two other shows I love, both in terms of overall presentation and story. While the latter is a show about a group whereas the former is more about one pair, both have a central focus on betrayal and whether you can really leave the past behind. Both are extremely well done and favorites in my library.

On a less serious note, there's FLCL. A great OVA that parodies other shows and manages to present some hilarious metaphors for growing up and leaving childhood behind. And the soundtrack (probably even moreso than the above, all of which have memorable pieces) is simply badass.

In the American vein, the 90's Batman and Superman cartoons had both quality and balls (for Saturday morning cartoons), showing blood and real fights. The last episode of Superman in particular was pretty edgy.

I could go on for hours. I love animation. Still, the above is a good start. Maybe I'll post more later.
PSP
Locusta
Locusta

Return to General Discussion