Just curious...

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby Wing-0 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:18 pm

I had the original cartridge, but it was stolen several years ago (a good chunk of my Genesis collection went with it), although I still have my Master System. I also had an Atari 7800 with which I played a bit until it failed and the store didn't want to honor the warranty. Next came my NES and SMS a few years later (with Phantasy Star).

I only had 5 games for the Atari. Space War (A tank game, only with spaceships from a top view perspective), Space Chase (a Space Invaders clone), Othello (some weird board game), Ms PacMan and a cool game about rescuing stranded pilots from aliens in a strange planet, whose name I can't remember. That one was the best of all of them.

The truth is that the Atari was advertised here around 1988 and I had my NES in 1991 as a Christmas present. So even while the Atari is old as hell, I still had the chance to play it as a kid.

I think I need an Atari emulator...

Edit: The Atari game in question about rescuing humans from a planet is called Stargate. I just looked for the rom yesterday. Holy crap... It IS still playable.
Last edited by Wing-0 on Sat May 08, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby The HuBBs » Sat May 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Daren wrote:I'm wondering if I'm the oldest one here? 30 going on 31 pretty soon. How many of you have played the original Phantasy Star on the original 8 bit master system console instead of a rom? And hey how many of you had an Atari system? Man... this makes me feel even older!

had an atari. lots of fun back in the day.

...can't believe I said that...
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Sun May 09, 2010 1:01 pm

I played it first on the original Master System (first version), but that was before I knew any English. Instant fascination though. (Never owned an Atari.)
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sun May 09, 2010 5:34 pm

skymandr wrote:I played it first on the original Master System (first version), but that was before I knew any English. Instant fascination though. (Never owned an Atari.)

I was 9 years old and didn't know how to speak or read English yet as well, but I managed to finish the game just by walking around the 3 worlds until I found out where I needed to go. PS 1 was my first RPG and I guess that's why it's so dear to me.
As for the Atari, the only thing I remember about the Atari is a game called Crystal Castle and damn did I love this game!
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Sun May 09, 2010 7:30 pm

I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby thriwren » Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 pm

My child hood friend had an atari, I was not into video games and all I remember I hated on how it looked and played.
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Mon May 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I'm 27, haven't accomplished a lot, and I don't give a shit.

If you guys don't expect much from life, you're better off having that attitude in the long run.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Semix » Mon May 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Random note: It amazes me and inspires me to know all you people voluntarily know other languages. English are bad at this.
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Semix wrote:Random note: It amazes me and inspires me to know all you people voluntarily know other languages. English are bad at this.

We're not necessarily bad, it's just that:

1. English is the most prominent language going, so there's really no need.

and

2. Language studies is probably uninspiring in classes: "Er, how du u say "apple"?

I'm not saying that speaking one language is not a bad thing. I just don't agree that it's a validation of being stupid. Being ignorant to something is totally different from being stupid.

I know of proper retards online with daft ideas who're bilingual, such as the Neo-Nazi Lit from Sweden who lives on benefits and likes sex fetishes such as shitting on women.

To cite another example the phans can relate to, Kodama doesn't understand English, as far as I know.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Neo48 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Hmm, I didn't expect to be younger than most of you. I'm 21.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Daren » Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Neo48 wrote:Hmm, I didn't expect to be younger than most of you. I'm 21.

Hey I didn't expect to be one of the oldest...
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:02 am

I agree with PeaGuy. Being ignorant is not the same as being stupid and that learning languages can be uninspiring. If you want to learn a different language, I would recommend not just to learn the language by force. It's not going to work. Or at least it doesn't work with me. It requires me to have at least a basic understanding of the people of the land I want to learn the togue of. Read, investigate about a country and if you like what you see and would like to understand its people, then learn the language.

The first reason I learned English was to understand the games I was playing better. My best teachers for the English language WERE the videogames I played. When I started learning Japanese, I initially did it to play games, but now I can also understand Japanese people to a degree. I can't say I'm proficient yet, but I try to enjoy what I learn. Regarding Russian, same thing, only this is harder because there are no games I can play in Russian, so my skill is still entry level.
Last edited by Wing-0 on Tue May 18, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Wing-0 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 am

Maybe I will sound cliched, but I do it in order to understand other cultures better. After all, I'm sitting in a world where there are people completely different from me and it makes me curious. Things like why is that culture like so and so, why do they have those weird, but interesting traditions, why don't we do that too and so on are things I have in my mind since the time I was a little kid.

If you ever want to try learning Spanish again, don't do it because it's a forced thing in School. You can learn a bit about Spain, or Latin America, where we have an enormously diverse culture, and at the risk of angering a wandering Spaniard (not like I care), Mexico and the rest of the Americas are more interesting because of the Pre Columbian cultures, how we developed, being of mixed heritage and stuff. Take me, for example, I'm a mixture of Spaniard, Jew, Muslim (weird combo, eh?) and native American (not the US ones, but then again, they're all related and America is not just the US), specifically Tarasco.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Xander » Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 am

As you said Wing-0, it's easier to learn the language if you're not forcing yourself into it. I know some spanish and a little arabic but that only really happened by chance.

While I took classes to help my spanish, the real reasons I started to learn spanish was because a friend of mine spoke it as their first language and I thought it'd be kind of fun to give it a shot. It's easy to learn it when using the language in conversation, but I took the classes just to cover everything I may have missed.
I only learned a small amount of arabic, now forgotten, but only because it made life a little easier for me. I knew someone who use to know it too, but they hadn't spoken it for over a decade so you can bet they were hard pressed to remember any of use.

Anyhoo, just my take. :P
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Semix » Tue May 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Forgot if I posted this elsewhere, BUT I am trying to learn a little basic Japanese. I'm awful and I have no human teacher, but an Ipod app by Ubisoft (Obviously good as they made Assassins Creed and Far Cry 2) called "My Japanese Coach" If I knew how to show you a screenshot, or take one for that matter I would. I'm very bad and can't make sentences yet, but I wanted to try it myself, not being forced and shoot my dog you are so right, it is much better this way! Speaking of culture and whatnot, I am (hopefully, damn ash clouds) going on a school spanish trip to spain next week. So meh, who knows ;)
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion