Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Postby zoothe » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Three days into the newest GS game and must say it's nice to play an "old school" RPG again. Really wish they would have stuck with 2D sprites though; 3D on the DS still looks horrible. Anyone else here playing it?

So farthe game is a bit on the easy side, but to be honest I don't have the patience for RPG's like I used to so I'm okay with the lack of having to level grind and so on.

On that subject, I got a kick out of this article on rpgfan.com: http://rpgfan.com/news/2010/516.html
zoothe
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:32 am

I'm a fan of the guys who made the Shining series, so I will buy their latest Golden Sun game.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby meteor9 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:45 am

So I've heard that the story is as inane and redundant as always, but at the same time I've always been a huge sucker for the art in the series, so...guess I gotta blow fifty bucks eventually and suffer through it.
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:51 am

zoothe wrote:3D on the DS still looks horrible

I see someone hasn't played the Etrian Odyssey games. ;)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:42 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
zoothe wrote:3D on the DS still looks horrible

I see someone hasn't played the Etrian Odyssey games. ;)

He probably has or hasn't, but that doesn't mean he's not entitled to his opinion.

DS' graphics is sub-par compared to, say, video games on the ps3, but people should already know that I don't play a game for how pretty it looks.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:36 pm

What I'm implying is that I think his opinion would be different if he had actually played 3D DS games that look good.

Of course we're not expecting high quality HD graphics. But it's quite a generalisation to say that 3D on the DS always looks horrible.

Wait, we can't discuss opinions any more? :(

...Hey, I'm the moder(h)ator here!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:24 am

I have yet to see decent 3D on the DS... I think Peaguy's comparison is way off the mark, comparing the DS with the PS3... At most, PSP is a sound comparison, but not anything beyond those capabilities.

That said, the PSP generally leaves the DS eating dirt when 3D graphics are taken into account...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby zoothe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:59 pm

I actually own all three Etrian Odyssey games, but they are hardly attempting to be 3D games in the way of games like Tales of the Tempest or this latest Golden Sun game. I love the EO games, btw, they're great old school dungeon crawlers. However, IMO, comparing that series' overal layout to that of Golden Sun is apples/oranges.

As for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn... yes, the story heavy on the redundancy. I don't remember having so little interest in the stories for the first 2 games but this one... man, I just keep pressing A button to get through all the text so I can start playing again!
zoothe
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:16 am

I don't think it matters what kind of movement freedom the games offer. 3D is 3D, and the Etrian Odyssey games look great. The Legend of Zelda games have good 3D too, for that matter.
BenoitRen

Postby The HuBBs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:21 pm

mario 64? even if it was downgraded to 32bit graphics it still looks amazing on the DS.
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to General Discussion