NGP vs 3DS vs Skepticism

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Re: What games are you playing at the moment?

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Neo48 wrote:No, they aren't tired franchises. Not in my eyes anyway. The first game I buy for the 3DS probably will be Ocarina of Time.

The Ocarina of Time game you mention is a port, not a sequel.
Small expensive devices have been the big thing since Apple released the ipod (another example of really expensive handheld technology). Perhaps handheld is the wrong term. Maybe cordless is a better way of putting it. I didn't expect the ipad to be popular, but it is.

Expensive Apple devices are popular. As soon as you leave that brand behind, there's not much else, except in the smartphone market that the iPhone created.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Re: What games are you playing at the moment?

Postby Neo48 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 pm

The Ocarina of Time game you mention is a port, not a sequel.

I didn't say it wasn't lol.

Expensive Apple devices are popular. As soon as you leave that brand behind, there's not much else, except in the smartphone market that the iPhone created.

With respect to my above edit, this may be due to different markets. "istuff" is not the only popular branding here in Canada.

I urge you to continue this discussion in the new thread I created. As mentioned above in my Edit, I don't want to further harass this thread.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: NGP vs 3DS vs Skepticism

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 pm

You were saying? :P
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm

Good call on the post moves.

I was disagreeing with your opinion that the franchises were "tired." They certainly aren't for me. I am aware that there are a lot of ports and some sequels. But that is fine by me.

Yay, a proper post dedicated to this topic. Right now, I really don't know if I will get either, at least straight away. I need to know the prices first anyway

The 3DS will be released at $250. I assume that number will be lower for your location. The official price hasn't been released for the NGP. The hardware suggests it will be roughly $400. Again, probably a lower number in your currency.
Last edited by Neo48 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Wing-0 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Not necessarily. The price of the NGP could be similar to the 3DS. The main reason is that Sony never recovered in any of the three territories (Japan, the continent called America and the European Union) against the DS because of several reasons, some of which I will enumerate:

1.- The Game Boy had a HUGE install base and had been enjoying good games for a long time before the DS came.

2.- The time difference between the release of the DS and the PSP.

3.- The price difference between both handhelds.

4.-Touch screen...

5.- Backwards compatible with the GBA, so it had a large number of games available from the start.

6.- Brand. Tell parents to tell you what name comes up first when thinking of videogames, and most will say Nintendo in many places of the world.

For this round, Sony is catching up in several aspects and going overboard in others... However, there is one that could prove decisive... 3D... Gimmick or not, it's a HUGE pull for many people...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Wing-0 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:34 pm

What Sony should do is manufacture the systems and sell them at a loss, unlike what they did with the PS3 and PSP, but how Nintendo did often, except with the Wii, which was relatively cheap to manufacture.

The processor of the NGP is a common processor among smartphones, unlike the CELL, which was used in super computers when the PS3 came out, or the Emotion Engine of the PS2, which was used where? Nowhere else?

Basically, the NGP is just a smartphone on steroids that they will try to sell as a portable console, and that should stay as a fixed hardware to a degree to cater to videogame consumers. Sony can't go the Apple way in front of a competition the size of Nintendo which says "I'm selling a game device", while Sony tries to compete with a game device that also acts as a smartphone to compete with Apple and any other Android enabled apparatus.

In a sense, they are fighting a war on two fronts. The oriental front against Nintendo and the occidental front against Apple.

Scary situation.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Neo48 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

And we all know what happened when Hitler decided to fight a two front war. :P
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm

WING-0 wrote:What Sony should do is manufacture the systems and sell them at a loss, unlike what they did with the PS3 and PSP, but how Nintendo did often, except with the Wii, which was relatively cheap to manufacture.

I don't know where you got that information from, but Sony has always sold their system at a loss, while Nintendo (at least since the GameCube) has sold their systems with profit. That's why they were still swimming in cash despite the relative failure of the GameCube.
BenoitRen

Postby The HuBBs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:27 am

He's correct. when the PS3 was originally priced at $600 sony was still taking a huge profit loss.

But anyway as I see it... The NGP doesn't seem all that different from the psp. its a system thats almost as powerful as the ps3 and therefore will most likely suffer the same fate as the psp did for the first couple of years. And that means ports. Already confirmed was uncharted, mgs4, and a few other port games for a system without a confirmed release date(though they said winter of 11) and no price that that huge piece of hardware(estimated to be between 400-500).

Now the 3DS is what I will be buying but I might be getting the ngp at some point. The 3ds has a gimmick that interested me and I believe that many new games will attempt to ultilize it to enhance gameplay. NGP just has a front and back touchscreen and an extra analog stick. woohoo -_-
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 am

Point noted. I'll look into better sources.

MGS4 wasn't confirmed, though. The Uncharted displayed was a technical demo, which is just a way to say "We're gonna make an Uncharted for the NGP! Yay!". MGS4 was just a technical demo to display the NGP's capabilities. To my knowledge, Kojima Productions hasn't made any confirmation about making a port of MGS4 for the NGP.

One of the reasons I'm still wary of the 3DS is because long term exposure to 3D effects in the eye haven't been widely documented. It's still pointed that very young children could suffer damage from it, but I, being an adult, won't be satisfied with being completely safe with it until some time passes. I'm the type of person that can go on marathons of 12+ hours when given enough chance.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Semix » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:49 am

Can I just point out Sony are working on 3D for the PS3 anyway, for when your at home. If I'm not mistaken we've already got the update, we just need games now, but Killzone 3 is meant to be 3D, so its not all nintendo's idea, they just make it portable. Back to other points if someone asked me about gaming playstation would come to mind long before nintendo, and I read somewhere the 3DS can actually help develop childrens eyes faster or something...
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby The HuBBs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:39 pm

but you need 2 things for that to work. you would need 3d glasses and a 3d enabled hdtv.
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Neo48 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm

but you need 2 things for that to work. you would need 3d glasses and a 3d enabled hdtv.

Precisely. This is exactly why Nintendo is in a good position. 3D without glasses and without a super expensive display will make their product unique.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Wing-0 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 pm

They may get off that bind yet...

The initial 3D TVs have been a bit overshadowed by the revelation that you can have 3D displays using multi directional screens, which is exactly what the 3DS does. Sony have no choice but to suck it up and improve their tech.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Neo48 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:34 am

Finally the rumors and prototype findings have ended. Sony has officially revealed the Playstation phone. THIS is something I am very excited about.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion