Be a Man - 2011 edition

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Be a Man - 2011 edition

Postby Black Sword » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 pm

I'm not if anyone else has noticed, but the media's been abuzz with Kay Hymowitz's new book, "Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Has Turned Men Into Boys."

The book argues that men have become pansies in this modern era, and everyone from the NY Post to a publication as prestigious as Forbes is putting up articles on it. Hell, I even know Jenna, the Forbes journo who interviewed her, so I'm obligated to at least chew on it for thought. I haven't read the book, nor do I plan to, because I'm not American enough to see this as applying to me, but I can't help but feel I've seen this behavior in my travels through life. As a matter of fact, I've always felt a bit obsolete because I do stick to those traditional male virtues, which the NY Post calls fortitude, stoicism, courage, and fidelity, and I don't really empathize with my so-called ppers on their behavior, which I find distasteful. I guess I'm just the appendix of the modern man: an organ that's there, that no longer fulfills its purpose, and will be cut off at the first sign of infection.

Links
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/op ... z1G2Rled8W
http://blogs.forbes.com/jennagoudreau/2 ... -hymowitz/

Oh, and Colombian troops freed 22 of 23 oil contractorswho'd been kidnapped by rebels, so HUZZAH. (had to think of something positive)
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:52 pm

I can relate to the message that the book brings as well. Then again, men have always been seen as expendable, and they always had to prove themselves. I guess it's only become more obvious in the past decade because the man also lost part of its traditional role.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm

I'm not the kind of man who likes specific roles for men and women, but I have noticed that the women in my area, I don't know about other places, have developed an enormous sense of entitlement and I have as a result had some clashes with random women on the streets, banks, etc.

I'm all for women having the exact same rights men have enjoyed for centuries. Properties, good work conditions, no harassing over their gender or looks, equal pay, respect for their intelligence and help when they have children if they want it (I know life turns more difficult for some when they do), but I also want them to stop demanding to get special treatments like skipping on lines near to or straight at the front of them. Demanding for my seat on a bus or a bench on the grounds that "ladies first, gentlemen later". I want to be respected when walking through a crowded street and not have to worry about a psychotic woman running me over (today happened... AGAIN), among many, many other things.

Oh, well... Today was a hard day.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Be a Man - 2011 edition

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Her argument towards modern man is too simplified for my liking. She bases her arguments on stereotypical masculinity.

So gays can act all poofy and cry and shit, but straight guys can't show any emotion or have good values because it's seen as wimpy like. Fouk this feminazi Jew beutch.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to General Discussion