Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby Wing-0 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Prize to whom? The EU?
That depends. For starters, I don't think the EU is such a good organism.. It didn't do much to help the people that were fleeing Libya when decisive action was needed. Some paragon of peace. Let's also not forget that they turn a blind eye to their neighbor's plights. Like the systematic genocide of the Israeli government against Palestine in the Gaza strip. I'd say the peace price for the European Union sounds as phony as the peace price for Obama.

None of them matter because they don't give a shit about what happens outside their little gardens. Malala, on the other hand, is an example of unyielding will and advocation of an ideal bigger than all of us.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:09 pm

augmentedfourth wrote:1) If you think something is irrelevant, that doesn't make it "mean". 2) Not every single thing in the world is positive. Unless you want everything uttered on this board to be sunshine and rainbows?

1) Context and the way it's phrased is key. I can't imagine you're this dense.
2) Please stop being so flippant. You know as well as I do that that's not the point.
If you questioned why she should be considered, that already implies you think her less worthy than other past winners or current candidates.

A valid point, but that was not my intent.
My opinion is if you blow someone off, claiming their points are irrelevant and unworthy of debate, that just suggests you don't have a valid rebuttal.

I guess that's fair. Xander's statement, however, like I pointed out, was in such bad faith that I didn't consider it worthy of debate.

Greece joined the EU by lying about their finances so they could loan money from the EU financial market at low interest rates. When the truth was revealed, it meant that the value of interests other countries and financial institutes dropped significantly. This, coupled with the economic crisis, caused a snowball effect throughout the EU. The EU did its best to fix things up, but before they had recovered, financial markets started to speculate negatively against debts that individual countries had. This meant that interest rates on those debts climbed up rapidly, and debts that could be paid back before became more expensive for countries. Some countries have more debts than others, and this is why Italy and Spain needed outside financial help to get them back on their feet.

In short, Greece and the financial markets are to blame, not the European Union.
(Can we make this into a drinking game involving the words "valid" and "flippant"? They seem to be coming up an awful lot, so we might as well make it more fun!)

If this isn't a troll considering our conversation history, I don't know what is.
Wing-0 wrote:For starters, I don't think the EU is such a good organism.. It didn't do much to help the people that were fleeing Libya when decisive action was needed. Some paragon of peace. Let's also not forget that they turn a blind eye to their neighbor's plights. Like the systematic genocide of the Israeli government against Palestine in the Gaza strip.

The European Union isn't trying to be the police of the world, though. You don't just swoop in into a conflict like that. The NATO, of which many European countries are a member, came through in the end.

As for the situation in the Gaza strip, I understand that there is lots of diplomatic pressure on Israel to stop it, but there isn't much more you can do. They do try to send help, but then Israel stops them from entering the Gaza strip. In short, I think they try, but I don't think there's much that they can do.

The EU's main mission, though, is to promote peace and cooperation within its own union, and I think they are quite successful at that.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:29 pm

And then what is this? Some union.

http://eeas.europa.eu/israel/index_en.htm
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:37 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
augmentedfourth wrote:1) If you think something is irrelevant, that doesn't make it "mean". 2) Not every single thing in the world is positive. Unless you want everything uttered on this board to be sunshine and rainbows?

1) Context and the way it's phrased is key. I can't imagine you're this dense.
2) Please stop being so flippant. You know as well as I do that that's not the point.

I know that you've previously demonstrated that despite being a mod, you don't give a damn about the forum's rules and have flagrantly broken them on multiple occasions (without consequence), but I'm pretty sure that calling me dense is a violation of "Avoid personal attacks."

And considering that your idea of "debate" is to either take people's quotes out of context, ignore statements that don't fit in with your very narrow world view, or figuratively stick your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALA I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALA", calling me "dense" is a pretty good example of the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?

If you have a problem with people being "flippant", perhaps you should consider that the way you attempt to argue your points comes off as being so unfounded and poorly thought out, said people have difficulty responding to you seriously.

If you questioned why she should be considered, that already implies you think her less worthy than other past winners or current candidates.

A valid point, but that was not my intent.

Thanks for clarifying. Oh, and for the validation, I guess.

My opinion is if you blow someone off, claiming their points are irrelevant and unworthy of debate, that just suggests you don't have a valid rebuttal.

I guess that's fair. Xander's statement, however, like I pointed out, was in such bad faith that I didn't consider it worthy of debate.

Greece joined the EU by lying about their finances so they could loan money from the EU financial market at low interest rates. When the truth was revealed, it meant that the value of interests other countries and financial institutes dropped significantly. This, coupled with the economic crisis, caused a snowball effect throughout the EU. The EU did its best to fix things up, but before they had recovered, financial markets started to speculate negatively against debts that individual countries had. This meant that interest rates on those debts climbed up rapidly, and debts that could be paid back before became more expensive for countries. Some countries have more debts than others, and this is why Italy and Spain needed outside financial help to get them back on their feet.

In short, Greece and the financial markets are to blame, not the European Union.

Unless you are a mind reader or have proficiency with a crystal ball, I don't know how you can judge Xander's intent based on what he said. I will admit that the EU is not my area of expertise, but I didn't see anything overly vicious with how he voiced his opinions and pointed out flaws he saw. And again, you clearly did, and I'm not going to argue with your opinion/perception or try to invalidate your feelings. Differing opinions and viewpoints are what makes the world go 'round, right? I'll just repeat my statement that your declaring of your opinion that it was unworthy as absolute fact is not conducive to productive debate, and probably falls into that third category of flawed tactics I listed in my first point in this post.

(Can we make this into a drinking game involving the words "valid" and "flippant"? They seem to be coming up an awful lot, so we might as well make it more fun!)

If this isn't a troll considering our conversation history, I don't know what is.

1) It was addressed to the board as a whole, not you specifically, in an effort to bring some levity to a discussion that has gone waaaay off the rails. Sorry for any confusion. 2) It was also means of pointing out that in addition to your flawed arguments, you keep repeating the same words and phrases over and over, and no one is getting anywhere. If you'd like, you can substitute something like "Touch your nose!" or "Eat a peanut!" for taking a shot if it'll make you feel better.

And even if I were trolling (which was not my intent), you already called me dense, so I guess we'd be even?

(Was that post less flippant? *Eats a peanut!*)
filthymindedandroids.blogspot.com - an incredibly Not Safe For Work blog

"A dirty book is rarely dusty." - unknown
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:56 am

Double posting, but whatever.

You can call it a flounce, a ragequit, whatever you'd like, but after thinking it over, all this petty bickering and snippy comments (of which I've participated in, I won't deny it) just doesn't seem right considering the original topic. I'm out.
filthymindedandroids.blogspot.com - an incredibly Not Safe For Work blog

"A dirty book is rarely dusty." - unknown
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Previous

Return to General Discussion