Any hope for the future?

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Any hope for the future?

Postby zoothe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Hey all!

I haven't seen anything online about potential future titles for the franchise, but it seems unlikely that Sega would just let it die. Does anyone know if there's ever going to be any new titles? I suppose the classic style could be considered over, but PSO? Or maybe a more story line based open world RPG? How awesome would that be?!
zoothe
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Re: Any hope for the future?

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:48 pm

We're still waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2 to make it to the West...
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby DarkMyau » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm

I have to admit. if PSO comes out Ill definitely buy it.
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 pm

I think the greatest hope for the future of the series is the international success of RPGs from Nintendo (Xenoblade/Fire Emblem) and Atlus (SMT/Persona). Hopefully Sega is paying attention, realizing that there is an international audience for these games, and noting that they have some powerhouse franchises that they've been just sitting on. There was an article back in November in which Sega noted that they were considering giving Shining Resonance Refrain a worldwide release... It's not Phantasy Star but it would be a step in the right direction.
The Once and Future Kai
"An droid, the droid -- whatever"
Kaihaku
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm

When it comes to Atlus, only the Persona games with social links are a success. Their other titles are pretty niche.

The success of Bravely Default was another wake-up call.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby SF3Marky » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:07 am

I posted this story and sequel/prequel idea on other webforums (Shining Force Central, Sega Forum - but Sega Forum will close on Feb 2nd).
But I was thinking that another Phantasy Star game could be made in the likeness of the original 4 Phantasy STars, and another game could take place within the timeline of PS1 to PS4. It is sorta an offshoot of PS2 and also a series of prequels to PS3.
Below is something I typed onto other websites (forums):

" The first prequel would take place at the same time as Phantasy Star II. But the game would take place on Palma only because, as you recall, in Phantasy Star 2, Palma becomes isolated from Motavia, and Dezoris since Mother Brain banned Space Travel). The protagonist would explore Palma and delve into its politics surrounding how and why Mother Brain came to be in the Algol Solar System. Along the way, the protagonist will be joined by intellectuals, free-thinking individuals, and any others who are disgruntled and question Palman society's complete dependence on Mother Brain. Somewhere in the game, you will encounter Tyler (the "space pirate" who saved Rolf in Gaira in PSII), and he will join your party. Eventually, you learn that the Palman Government is indoctrinated into the acceptance & dependence of Mother Brain, and will stop anybody who questions Mother Brain. During this ordeal the protagonist and company realize their over-dependence on Her, and she does not do anything to help Palmans in times of crises (like the crises from PS II, and the crisis of Gaira falling to destroy Palma. The protagonist and Tyler warn Palmans about impending doom, and rush toward older spaceships and experimental biosphere ships that eventually were barred from flying (due to the space accident that lead to the ban on space travel).
But they must fight their way against indoctrinated Palmans and Governmental Officials who are preventing them from saving Palma. The protagonist and Tyler win and take off in a ship to save Palmans escaping the impending destruction of Palma. In addition, Tyler will make an attempt to fly to Gaira in hope to change Gaira's course.
He is able to enter Gaira, but cannot change the Satellite's Course. But he is able to Save Rolf from PSII.

[COLOR=#222222][FONT="Verdana"]The second prequel should take place 1000 year after PSII. It involves Palmans on one of the experimental biosphere ships, and split between 2 groups. They initially get along. But a series of events cause dissension between the groups. One group, would be followers of Orakio, and you will play as Orakio with Miun and Siren. In fact, one part of this prequel would play from Orakio's perspective with Laya as the Final Boss, but after fighting her, she and Orakio realize Dark Force sewed dissension to cause war and destruction between Palmans.
In the second part, you play as Laya, Lune, etc. But you fight Orakio and again both realize that dissension was caused by Dark Force. Orakio and Laya Join up.

The last part of this prequel would involve them making Orakio's Law and Laya's Law (no human shall harm another human), going to the sages who bestow the word Nei to strengthen their weapons, fighting Orakio's brother Rulakir, and defeating Dark Force. But the victory is bitter sweet, as Orakio and Laya defeat Dark Force and they both die while imprisoning Dark Force in an underwater Temple. But Laya (being Layan and able to use magic), casts a spell onto Miun, Siren, and Lune so they may survive. Miun winds up on Aridia and Siren and Lune each wind up on the "satellites".

The Orakians and Layans only learn of Orakio's Law or Laya's Law, but not of Dark Force who was behind the Orakian and Layan War. So they continue fighting with Robots and Monsters.

These prequels are long-shots, but they might be able to work. "
SF3Marky
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Pukka » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am

I was having high hopes for mobile releases. I got the mobile version of Phantasy Star2, had a save that ended at final dungeon. Then few mths back, they released save state version and cloud saves of PS2. But it deleted my current save game, nevermind i'll give it another chance, i started over, with cloud saves, then they released a updated version of PS2 which made my cloud save invalid due to incompatible version. It feels like, I'm supporting your game and you don't even bother to test your games before you release them? This is how they treat their loyal fan base? That was the last strike for me, not going to give Sega any more chance.
Sega is also not doing well presently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega#Comp ... %93present)
Pukka
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby GreenGiant » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:12 am

With Wonderboy and Street of Rage having recent releases, I see great potential in the revival of the classic Phantasy Star games with the indie fanbase.
GreenGiant
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Paradisi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 am

GreenGiant wrote:With Wonderboy and Street of Rage having recent releases, I see great potential in Ibutamoren and in the revival of the classic Phantasy Star games with the indie fanbase.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think with Blizzard releasing the original World of Warcraft again next year, other companies might look into this again. I think re-releasing old games could become a thing in the future.
Paradisi
Pinchant
Pinchant

Return to General Discussion