The Oscars....

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

The Oscars....

Postby Dr_Odin » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:02 pm

Return of the King won 11 of 11 oscars! Damn! Good days these days :)<br>Did Sean Penn mention something about president Bush, or something similar, in his speech?<br>I heard of that in the news.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Dr_Odin on [TIME]1078264943[/TIME]][/size]
Dr_Odin

The Oscars....

Postby Goldark » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:20 am

Bah, I don't belive in Oscars. I'm not saying that movies that win one or more that one oscar sucks, I'm just saying that I think this is a prize for being commercial, and nothing else.<p>BTW, The Lord Of The Rings is really a great movie, and, yes, I've read the book BEFORE Jackson started to make it, but I still find it a great movie, you can be disappointed for some changes (Eowin shouldn't really be there), but the feeling is the same as the book.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Goldark on [TIME]1078309550[/TIME]][/size]
Goldark

The Oscars....

Postby SheWren » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:03 am

Eowin? It's Arwen who shouldn't appear. It's a great movie, but still a commercial one. Why else Jackson would underline the love story so much? Tolkien certainly turned in his grave when Aragorn and Arwen kissed in front of the crowd...<br>Moreover, The Two Tower is definitely another story...
SheWren

The Oscars....

Postby Goldark » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:55 pm

I'm really a moron :D , I knew it wasn't Eowin, but I forgot to check for the correct name, and in the end forgot to change it, thanks to shewren who corrected me.
Goldark

The Oscars....

Postby SkymanDr » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:06 pm

Then perhaps you dont mind me correcting some more? She is acctually spelled Eowyn. :)
SkymanDr

The Oscars....

Postby ill-intent » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:25 pm

If you're talking about the Lord of Rings related to the oscars, they never should've been entered for all 3 years. Why give them repeated awards for work they did all in the same shooting? (They got the special effects every year but all of the work was done at once) Don't think I'm bashing the seires. I agree it's great to see ANY fantasy movie getting a nod ('cause that sure as hell doesn't happen often) But stuff like special effects, set design, costumes, it was all one effort, not a different try each year....<p> As to the Bush-bashing or anything like that, the Oscars were VERY conservative this time around (even the commercials were tamer). Sean Penn only got the award because he's been passed over so many times in the past (they always do that kind of crud).
ill-intent

The Oscars....

Postby Monocromatico » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:08 pm

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King deserved all the Oscars. Too bad the brazilian movie City of God (I´m curious if anyone has watched it. It talks about my neighborhood or something) was running up for 4 awards against LotR :^P
Monocromatico

The Oscars....

Postby gm2987 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:05 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Goldark</i><p>Bah, I don't belive in Oscars. I'm not saying that movies that win one or more that one oscar sucks, I'm just saying that I think this is a prize for being commercial, and nothing else.<p>BTW, The Lord Of The Rings is really a great movie, and, yes, I've read the book BEFORE Jackson started to make it, but I still find it a great movie, you can be disappointed for some changes (Eowin shouldn't really be there), but the feeling is the same as the book.<p>[size=small][Edit by Goldark on [TIME]1078309550[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote>Ditto that! I think the oscars really are dumb why should actors and movies get awards when they make millions of dollars and they get rich? Really really dumb idea.<br>
gm2987

Return to General Discussion