Why you should save electricity

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby Benoit » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:56 pm

Everyone knows that we should save electricity. It will be better for the environment, and better for our bill.<p>Yet there are still people who leave their PCs on during days and nights, using energy at the high rate of approx. 1000 Watt. They also don't want to see that what they are doing is wrong.<p>So for people who still think that saving electricity is useless, even if you do live in the US and get it from nuclear plants, here are some links for you:<p>http://www.ccnr.org/Lovins_figure_6.html<br>http://www.energylinx.co.uk/whysave.html<br>PDF link<p>[size=small][Edit by Benoit on [TIME]1081263455[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Benoit on [TIME]1081273965[/TIME]][/size]
Benoit

Postby Monocromatico » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:44 pm

Brazil had a serious energy shortage between 2001 and 2002. Most of our power are generated by hydroelectric plants, and the energy waste made us vulnerable to an eventual low rainfall, which happened in 2001. This is just an example to show how natural resources are limited - like water -, and should be used carefully.<p>(even though we faced this problem, most people didn´t learn the lesson and just keep wasting power. People just don´t learn)
Monocromatico

Postby Redeemer » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:49 am

Bah I still need my terawatt generators >.< <br>if I was able to do the projects that I want to do id easily be running close to 50,000 watt projects o.o
Redeemer

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:05 am

Indeed? I never leave my PC on...my monitor overheats and then causes me to improperly shut my computer down. And trust me...a worse danger is people leaving their TVs on during the evening. They plan to go to the store for a couple of minutes, then they leave the TV on and end up taking longer then planned...that actually makes me mad.
LaconianShot

Postby Prince Noah » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:15 am

Forget it, Benny. I'm not even gonna read the links you just gave.<p>Us Americans have gigantic windmills (looks like an enormous propeller) that generate electricity. And we have LOTS of them. If that isn't enough, all scientists have to do is find some way to seperate H2O (water) from Hydrogen. It's those two things that make water. Just that, and we would last forever. :D<p>So, trying to save energy is meaningless because it's being wasted by being made. %)<p>[size=small][Edit by Prince Noah on [TIME]1091846552[/TIME]][/size]
Prince Noah

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:06 am

Nuclear power plants are the way to go. No energy wasting there. They're also the cleanest source of energy at the moment. till someone solves cold fusion. But it's total clean in that it produces mostly steam and uranium, which we recycle and reuse in the plants.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Benoit » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:17 pm

You can't deny that nuclear waste isn't a problem. It just keeps growing, and it's very dangerous. There's no way to make it safe for now, so there's always a risk. You want cancer?
Benoit

Postby Monocromatico » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:00 pm

Solar and wind power are the cleanest energy sources we have for now. The problem is that you have to build massive wind or solar systems to light up a small town, and the cost is still high.<p>Prince Noah is somewhat right. The water molecules hold large amounts of energy that tie their atoms together, and finding a way to extract and store this energy is a good alternative, either for massive electricity generation, or as an oil substitute for automobiles and industry. Plus, the H2 generated by it can be used as another alternative fuel, and the O2 can go either to the atmosphere, or used in hospitals. Using water as fuel, men could be able to stay in space for longer time, and even terraform other planets.<p>A still pollutant, but clean in a certain way source or energy in short scale is the biodigestor. You use your organic, trash, like orange peels, rotten fruits, the potatos you didn´t eat last night, sour milk and litter, putting then in a box or something and let it decompose in there. The methane gas produced in the process can generate energy for one´s house. There´s still production of CO2, but you can get rid of your waste - which would end up polluting the environment -, and doesn´t need to pay energy bills.
Monocromatico

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:25 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>You can't deny that nuclear waste isn't a problem. It just keeps growing, and it's very dangerous. There's no way to make it safe for now, so there's always a risk. You want cancer?<br></blockquote><p>the nuclear waste you keep complaining about is the uranium which is produced by the plants. The uranium is then recycled and reused. And besides Powerplants are producing energy 24/7, and if we did turn off our computers or whatever it still won't decrease the amount of energy and power a plant produces.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Benoit » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:09 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm very sure that that's not what I'm complaining about. I'm talking about real, unrecyclable waste that's very dangerous for human beings.<p>But energy is never lost. So if you save it, you use less. The fact itself that you're wasting is already enough reason for you to turn off your PC.
Benoit

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:39 pm

Well then I guess I'll waste all the energy I want because I can.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Benoit » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:55 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by HuBBsDoctor</i><p>Well then I guess I'll waste all the energy I want because I can.<br></blockquote><br>Shows what kind of (bad) personality and attitude you have.<br>This is unacceptable.<br>It's because of your kind that the world is being slowly destroyed.<br>THANK YOU!
Benoit

Postby Prince Noah » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:21 pm

<blockquote>Shows what kind of (bad) personality and attitude you have. <br>This is unacceptable. <br>It's because of your kind that the world is being slowly destroyed. <br>THANK YOU!</blockquote> <p>Calm down Benoit. Geez, no need to be spitting fire over little things. %) You're the most horrible baby I ever saw in my whole life.<p>And besides, if everybody in the world turned off their PC's, monitors, and all other electronics every time they didn't want to use them, they would have to spend more time turning them back on then using them.<p>It's like garage florescent lights. Each one uses 40 watts. And there's hundreds of them in a store. It takes aLOT more power to turn them on than it does to keep them running.<p>What I'm trying to say is, I think you are making SOME good points, but you're taking it too far. Would you shut off your PC every time you left it for a moment to make a sandwich? :p <p>HuBBs is right actually, trying to save energy is pointless since plants recycle 24/7<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Prince Noah on [TIME]1091002495[/TIME]][/size]
Prince Noah

Postby Redeemer » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:37 pm

One thing to know about nucelar waste. 80% of it is reusable uranium. Too bad us americans are too stupid to figure out that putting nuclear recycling plants saves precious uranium and even helps yield plutonium for use fast reactors and produce even more energy and only 5% waste
Redeemer

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:46 pm

A rather gross, but entirely plausible, and unlimited source of energy is our own waste. It contains methane, a highly volitile gas that could be used for fuel for cars...and they cause a lot of polution. What's more, it's 100% natural. But we're too stupid to use it...
LaconianShot

Next

Return to General Discussion