WHY Microsoft is bad

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:33 pm

<blockquote>Actually my gaming dev teachers also teachers programming language classes(visual c, java, c++, etc), intro to computers(mainly WINDOWS), and then the game development.</blockquote> <br>That's still not even near what my teacher teaches.<br>Do you know how the computer reads all the information? Do you know the specifics of RAM? Do you know what the CMOS is? The BIOS? The cache on the processor? Disk cache? Memory cache? How TCP/IP works? What UDP is? How to assemble a PC? The particulars of AGP? How FAT works?<br>etc.<br> <blockquote>Oh and as for the 80's, 80s. It dosn't matter cause both are acceptable. And the dictionary is not the place to go for grammar.</blockquote> <br>Nope, only 80s is acceptable, as it's the correct form.
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Prince Noah » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:41 pm

Alright, that's enough. Just use what you like, Benoit, and we'll use what WE like. :)
Prince Noah

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:16 pm

Of course.<br>My point wasn't to get you off of your Windows OSes. :)<p>[size=small][Edit by Benoit on [TIME]1082845001[/TIME]][/size]
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:24 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i> <br>That's still not even near what my teacher teaches.<br>Do you know how the computer reads all the information? Do you know the specifics of RAM? Do you know what the CMOS is? The BIOS? The cache on the processor? Disk cache? Memory cache? How TCP/IP works? What UDP is? How to assemble a PC? The particulars of AGP? How FAT works?<br>etc.[/quote]<p>Yes. In fact you can learn all that by getting your A+ certification. Basic shit.<br> <br>[quote]Nope, only 80s is acceptable, as it's the correct form.<br></blockquote><p>Nope, your wrong. Both are acceptable. Go ahead and type both in word and see which one gets the red or green line under it.
HuBBsDoctor

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:12 am

<blockquote>Yes. In fact you can learn all that by getting your A+ certification. Basic shit. </blockquote> <br>It's not basic at all. If I didn't take this Computer Technology direction, I would never have learned it. So I doubt you did.<br> <blockquote>Nope, your wrong. Both are acceptable. Go ahead and type both in word and see which one gets the red or green line under it.</blockquote> <br>And why should Word be correct? I'll look it up for you.
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:30 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p> <br>It's not basic at all. If I didn't take this Computer Technology direction, I would never have learned it. So I doubt you did.[/quote]<br> <br>I don't even have to take a class to learn all that.<p>[quote]And why should Word be correct? I'll look it up for you.<br></blockquote><p>You do that.
HuBBsDoctor

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby LaconianShot » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:49 pm

I was always taught that an apostraphe shows possesion, or in conjunction with "s" that it is short for "it is". Odd... :?
LaconianShot

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:28 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><p>I was always taught that an apostraphe shows possesion, or in conjunction with "s" that it is short for "it is". Odd... :? <br></blockquote><p>Exactly.<p>Hey benoit, type 1980's on any search engine and tell me how many link come up with the 's.<p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1082910608[/TIME]][/size]
HuBBsDoctor

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:01 pm

I know what you mean, HuBBs, and that arguement doesn't hold any ground.<br>Just because many sites say it that way doesn't mean it's correct. While searching for the answer to "1980's or 1980s?", I haven't found ANY page that told me 1980's.<br>Likewise, many articles use "it's" instead of "its" to show possession, but we know that it's wrong.
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:40 pm

Use of gramar. Use of year's with and without '.<p>Example 1:<br>"Man the 80's rule."<p>Example 2:<br>"What I love about the 80s is the music and cartoons."
HuBBsDoctor

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:31 pm

And what do mean with that? It didn't make a point.<br>Once again, you don't use an apostrophe for plurals. So it's not year's, but years. And it's not 80's, but 80s.
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby PhanGarrett » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:44 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>No, my teacher doesn't refer to that hype. He has gone through this stuff, and if you check your firewall, you'll see that it sends the info anyway if you choose not to.<br></blockquote><p>Your teacher is full of shit if he believes that. If your internet connection is absent or non-existent, it'd be trying to get online after every request to send crash data to Microsoft, regardless of whether or not you tell it "No," which is an extremely visible process, and having had to rely on my share of dial-up while running Windows XP, I can tell you that Windows XP makes no attempt to get online if you tell it not to send the information, but it does attempt to get online if you tell it to go ahead and send the information.<p>I emphasize that the ordeal with Microsoft supposedly "collecting personal information" is another bit of hype not unlike the Y2k "bug", sparked by someone who knows what he's talking about, trying to explain something to someone who doesn't understand it, and the message being relayed and exaggerated.<p>Honestly, freaking out because you found out Microsoft collects your crash data when you tell Windows XP to send it to them, is like freaking out because you found out that Cirrus relays your bank account and PIN numbers through its network every time you pull money out of an ATM machine. <p>And people, honestly-- Who cares whether you say, "1980's", "1980s", " '80's", " '80s", "80's", or "80s"? They all get the message across, and there really isn't a terribly established rule for it.<p>If you wanted to get technical, you could argue that "1980s" would be correct because that would be the plural form of a proper noun, whereas "1980's" would be posessive; though it could also be argued that the apostrophe is thrown in as a wildcard to indicate any number, and the "0" only included to remind you that it's supposed to be "1980", not "198".<p>In other words, it doesn't matter-- any of the above instances can be argued to be grammatically correct.
PhanGarrett

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:23 pm

I'll ask him again then.<p>No, it can't be argued, because I have yet to see one site telling me otherwise.<br>If you believe that it's okay if it gets the message accross, would you like me to start typing "liek dis"? I know you wouldn't.
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Lord Khyron » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:03 pm

And the point count just rises and rises..<p>just like the inflation Benoit is talking about.<p>What the hell else are you going to use all that memory<br>and HD space floating around if not for bloated programs?<p>LOL And I can answer what some people use it for..<p>But still..
Lord Khyron

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion