Are classic RPGs dying?

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby zoothe » Mon May 31, 2004 6:37 pm

<blockquote>Online games have their virtues, too. And I like playing them. But for different reasons than classical RPGs. Someone said it already furhter up this thread: Those are two very different types of games. Comparing them to each other is a bit like comparing Sim-city to Doom, or something.</blockquote> <p>I agree, there is no sense in comparing them. But still, you'll always have people doing that with the PS games because of the fact that there are now PS RPGs and PS MMORPGs. Imagine if the next three games to come out with the name "Resident Evil" were all side scrolling shooters with aspects of the original series... you'd have people comparing just based on the name alone. <p>All I'm saying is that Sega screwed with the good name of Phantasy Star. They should have called it something else and left PS alone. At least then there wouldn't be that disappointed feeling every time a new PS game is announced and it's another online venture. Besides, this topic shouldn't be about whether or not MMORPGs are good or whatever, it's about them taking the place of the older style of RPGs, which is very disheartening.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by zoothe on [TIME]1086028715[/TIME]][/size]
zoothe

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby Benoit » Mon May 31, 2004 6:43 pm

<blockquote>All I'm saying is that Sega screwed with the good name of Phantasy Star. They should have called it something else and left PS alone.</blockquote><br>That's YOUR OPINION and you should STOP saying your opinion is fact.<br>There are many of us that actually enjoy PSO and enjoy its story. You've had the chance to whine about it, now leave us alone!
Benoit

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby zoothe » Mon May 31, 2004 8:50 pm

I didn't make you come to this thread. Obviously I don't like PSO as a Phantasy Star game, and this thread is for me to voice that and hear others opinions as well. If all you can say is "Stop saying that," then it is you that needs to go elsewhere. Isn't there a whole PSO board for you to play on?
zoothe

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby Benoit » Mon May 31, 2004 10:00 pm

You already had a chance to voice your opinion, and you keep saying it as if it was fact, while we all know that isn't true.<br>I could say the same thing about you. You don't like PSO, then get off this board, because, obviously, we like it.
Benoit

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby zoothe » Mon May 31, 2004 10:15 pm

Last time I checked this was the general discussion board. I believe you're lost.<p>And I never said PSO sucking was fact. In fact, I've made it clear that it's my opinion many times.
zoothe

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Mon May 31, 2004 10:36 pm

I like ponies.
HuBBsDoctor

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby Neo48 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:26 pm

Thats the best thing I've heard all day Hubbs.
Neo48

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby Benoit » Mon May 31, 2004 11:36 pm

So much for being original, HuBBs. That's the second time you say that. :p <br>And I hate ponies.<br> <blockquote>Last time I checked this was the general discussion board. I believe you're lost.</blockquote><br>This being the General Discussion FORUM doesn't change the people's opinions and how they feel.<br> <blockquote>And I never said PSO sucking was fact. In fact, I've made it clear that it's my opinion many times.</blockquote><br>You actually make it clear that you think it's fact with these:<br> <blockquote>I just don't like the idea of them "replacing" the older style (that's what sucked so bad about PSO).</blockquote><br> <blockquote>All I'm saying is that Sega screwed with the good name of Phantasy Star. They should have called it something else and left PS alone. At least then there wouldn't be that disappointed feeling every time a new PS game is announced and it's another online venture.</blockquote>
Benoit

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby Siren » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:18 am

I think PSO is a good use of the Phantasy Star name because it holds consistant to the series focus (story aside), which is technology. The whole series focuses around sci-fi instead of sorcery and dragons, and the plot always focuses on mans' mistakes with power and technology, not to mention a corrupting evil.<p>Also, I'm not optimistic for Tales of Symphonia because it seems like an entirely cut-scene based game. I can't stand games with half an hour cutscenes used to convey story. Use dialogue! Or art panels. Or very short cutscenes that make you think about the story instead of it being spoon-fed to you! The cutscene problem was one of the big flaws I see with the FF series.<p>
Siren

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby zoothe » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:25 am

Benoit, you are seriously reaching. All those qoutes and you make no point. You can really take those either way, but when faced with the question: "Is that fact or opinion?", what have I responded with?<p> <blockquote>And I never said PSO sucking was fact. In fact, I've made it clear that it's my opinion many times. <br></blockquote> <p>Seems pretty obvious to me. Maybe you're just trying too hard to start sh*t.
zoothe

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby Neo48 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:32 am

We now that you saying PSO sucked is your opinion. But not playing it enough also disallowed you to see why they did call it Phantasy Star Online. You can't judge a book by its cover.
Neo48

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby Benoit » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:41 pm

<blockquote>Benoit, you are seriously reaching. All those qoutes and you make no point. You can really take those either way, but when faced with the question: "Is that fact or opinion?", what have I responded with?<p>Quote:<br>And I never said PSO sucking was fact. In fact, I've made it clear that it's my opinion many times.<p>Seems pretty obvious to me. Maybe you're just trying too hard to start sh*t.</blockquote><br>Maybe you just can't grasp it. While you do say that it's your opinion, you still keep saying it in a way that's it's fact.
Benoit

Are classic RPGs dying?

Postby zoothe » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:30 pm

I can't believe you just said that.
zoothe

Previous

Return to General Discussion