Hello: Old PS player seeking direction

New here? Introduce yourself to the community!

Hello: Old PS player seeking direction

Postby Comrade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Hello...

I'm new and need some direction. I'm looking to experience everything PS related, meaning I wish to play through the entire series including the online components. I'm a veteran of the first two games but have not played any following titles since then. I'm a huge story/lore nut though, and I want to experience it all.

I would love some direction and clarification as to what would be the best way to go about this in a timely fashion. The console iterations are easy to figure out, I'll play through those chronologically and I've just started with PS Generations 1 (w/English Patch thanks to Kyence). I guess my main concern would be the online titles. I understand that PSO can still be played on privatized servers at the moment, yet where would I start out? There are several episodes. Are those episodes unique to each other or can I start on the latest Blue Burst and experience all the content from previous episodes? Like I stated I would love to experience all the content I can, even though I'm unfortunately (very) late to the party.

Anyway, I have been lurking for a while and look forward to engage with a dedicated community. Thanks.
Comrade
Pinchant
Pinchant

Re: Hello: Old PS player seeking direction

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Welcome to the board!

I recommend Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II for the Gamecube. It is, in my opinion, the best version of the game, even if it lacks Episode IV (which is Blue Burst-only and forgetable). If you can get the Plus edition, the important online-only story quests are already included. Otherwise you'll need to go online with the game (for which you'll need a Broadband Adapter) to download quests to your memory card.

You'll need a Gamecube (or a non-Family Wii) anyway to play PSO: Episode III as it was never ported to any other platform.

Currently there is no good way to experience all of Phantasy Star Universe, which consists of three episodes and a sequel.

Phantasy Star Universe has the first episode and the second episode. The second episode, however, was only available through the online mode. It's available on PlayStation 2, Xbox 360 and PC. The PlayStation 2 version is playable, but it doesn't run all that well. The PC version requires a stronger PC than it says on the box to run smoothly.

Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus is an expansion of the original game. It has Episode 2 and Episode 3. That's right, the first episode isn't included. The benefit is that Episode 2 is playable offline, with all the missions being unlockable. Episode 3, however, is only available through the online mode. The PlayStation 2 and PC versions are stand-alone, while the Xbox 360 is an actual (now free) expansion pack that you'll need to download through Xbox Live!.

A private server for the PC version of Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus was in development, but last I checked it seemed to have stagnated.

The Phantasy Star Portable series is exclusive to the PlayStation Portable and everything is available offline, so no worries there. Phantasy Star Portable is a side story while Phantasy Star Portable 2 is a proper sequel to Phantasy Star Universe's three episodes.

I hope this clears things up some.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Comrade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome.

So as I understand it - The only PSO episode I can't play is Episode III, which honestly I think I'm perfectly fine with. I never liked the whole CARD concept anyway. I can always read up on it or watch a walk-through on YouTube. I have a Gamecube but it's on the other side of the country with my cousin and has been years now that she has held on to it. The distance and shipping cost isn't worth it for one game I still have to find and purchase for a suitable price and condition.

I do own Phantasy Star Universe and it's expansion but I won't be able to experience episode 3 because it's online only and there obviously isn't any servers active, private nor official. That's unfortunate, something I'll never get to play - drives my OCD nuts, lol. I have a very recent and beefy PC and it runs flawlessly, so no issues there.

The PSP series will have to be purchased and I'm sure I can find those easily as they're still rather relevant.

I'm playing through Phantasy Star Online right now on the SCHTserver, which I find rather fortunate to still be able to experience online considering the title's age.

So if I read your post correctly - I missed out on one episode of PSU (and chose not to bother with PSO's episode III). Overall, not too bad I guess.

Thanks.
Comrade
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Aw, that's too bad. Phantasy Star Online: Episode III deserves more love. I hope you'll play it sometime in the future anyway.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Return to Introductions