Free game! Made it myself.*update*

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:06 pm

Ok guys here's a small update. This should be my last beta. hopefully. I will be turning this in tomarrow for a grade. I personally have played tested all my betas and its odd as I have never once experienced the erros some of you come across. i do find this odd however. But to be sure amek sure your ram isn't bad an is corrupting to file. Also make sure to turn off other applications like AIM, MSN, etc.<p> Edit* Crap on a stick. Angelfire took down my new site.<p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1079885815[/TIME]][/size]<br><p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1079921540[/TIME]][/size]
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Siren » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:38 pm

I'm downloading it as we speak, but it'll take a while, you know, Dial-Up.<p>The file name is R-type. Did you make a crazy R-Type style game? That would be cool. <p>Are you doing this for a programming school? Or is this just a school project.
Siren

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:13 pm

I'm taking the first ever game development course at my school. This is one of two games I have to make to pass the class.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby LaconianShot » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:40 pm

Hmmm...it's a good game, but I have some complaints/suggestions about it...<p>To start off, your ship moves way too slow for the type of game it is. I think the action would be much more fun if you kicked the speed up a notch...including weapons.<br>Another complaint, albeit small, is the fact that when you shoot the robots or the bosses, it doesn't sound like it's doing any damage. Thats the kind of sound that I'd use for the laser not penetrating the armor. I think a more suitable sound would be small explosion effects. Lastly, I think the bosses should arrive in the main map, instead of switching maps, or better yet, the normal map fades into the boss stage.<p>One last thing: MORE METROID MUSIC!!!!
LaconianShot

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:25 pm

I can;t really do some of the things you ask. I would love the bosses to appear on the main stages. But for some reason I can;t get that to happen. The speed of each stage is good enough I think. Especially for a bginner game developer liek myself. And finally I have limited sound effects for collisions. Sadly I can't really do much else.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Siren » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:28 pm

METROID!!! :) <p>I never knew you were a fan, Hubbs.<p>Yes, the music in your game was one of the best features. I loved the Metroid "Depths of Brinstar" music. <p>As Laconian Shot mentioned above, your game has a few problems, but it <b>is</b> a Beta version, so I imagine improvements will be made. One problem is the collision on the last boss. It's projectiles destroy you before they actually touch you. Other than that, Laconian Shot has covered it all, especially the sound when you hit the boss.<p>Finally... I noticed you can't die, or it is extremely hard to. Is this so we can test it out fully?
Siren

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:47 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Siren</i><br>Finally... I noticed you can't die, or it is extremely hard to. Is this so we can test it out fully?<br></blockquote><p>Um that and I cant seem to figure out how to make the game end after you lost all 3 lives. Don't know why I can't figure it out.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Benoit » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:53 pm

I just tried out your game.<p>It's indeed a bit slow, but I quickly got used to it.<br>Indeed, when I hit a robot and it doesn't get destoryed, I get a "clank" sound. Very unusual; I thought I was hitting it at the wrong spot.<br>I don't mind the boss coming in a different screen.<br>I like the fact that you can shoot as many projectiles as you want, though. :)<p>And now about performance...<br>The second level goes waaay too slow. The first level was fine.<br>The window seemed like it didn't show me all of the screen.
Benoit

Postby Pure Pandemonium » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:56 pm

Pretty nice game! And, I love beta-testing Image <br>A few things I noticed: <p>After dying, the ship 'warp's slightly to the right. <br>In the second level (cavern) if you hit the top you die, but when you respawn you can get past it with invulnerability. And then keep going up and up and up, wayyy past the edge of the screen. Seems to cause problems with going to the next level, too, because after a few enemies scroll by the level just keeps on going, empty. Also, I don't seem to be getting any music. Is there supposed to be music on the first or second levels? <p>Edit: Found out what the problem with my music was: it's REALLY quiet! Add volume controls, maybe? If I turn it up loud enough that I can hear the music, the shots are way too loud to be playable. <p>First boss is pathetically easy. Why? You can absorb his shot with the bottom of your ship! :p Second boss is easy too, since his shots never reach you if you stay at the top of the screen. Correction: Not so easy. I'm not getting hit, but I've been fighting for a while and he isn't going down. Is there some secret to killing second boss?<br>Edit: Tried again, didn't die nearly as much, and he went down pretty quickly. I'm guessing something screwed up the first time I fought him. <p>You can't figure out how to implement lives? Maybe make it part of the death or respawn script. If lives = 0, GameEnd, else Respawn, or its equivalent in whatever you're coding with. Speaking of, what are you making this with?<p>I think the speed of the ship is pretty good. <p>Is this the first game you've made? It's pretty good.
Pure Pandemonium

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:18 pm

And I am assuming you have used Game Maker 5.2? Also I have come to the conlcusion that my game is actually fine, but for some reasons other people are experiencing odd behaviors in the game. I have play tested the game myself many times and the only glitch I encounter is the last boss won;'t die. But I fixed that. I get the music playing properly I never go past the barrier in the second stage and the first boss should actually be harder. since he randomly shoots bullets in 3 directions.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby LaconianShot » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:02 am

Are you coding in C++? Javascript? I would like to know.<br>Also, it wouldn't be hard to get a hold of some .wav files (or whatever your program can take), just do a search for free sound sites on Google. Or, look for PS sounds!<p>What Metroid game was your favorite? I thought Zero Mission was pretty good.
LaconianShot

Postby Siren » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:11 am

I loved Zero Mission, but I think I liked Metroid: Fusion better. There's something about the atmosphere it sets, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The first time I was chased by the SA-X, I nearly pissed myself (heh, not reallybut you get the point) :) <p>I have great memories with all the Metroid games.<p>[size=small][Edit by Siren on [TIME]1079831558[/TIME]][/size]
Siren

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:37 am

Lco, do a google search on Game maker 5 and it'll bing up the homepage. The homepage will tell you more about what I do instead of myself.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Neo48 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:36 am

Nice game.....
Neo48

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:17 pm

bump for the update
HuBBsDoctor

Return to General Discussion