Why you should save electricity

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby Monocromatico » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:22 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><p>A rather gross, but entirely plausible, and unlimited source of energy is our own waste. It contains methane, a highly volitile gas that could be used for fuel for cars...and they cause a lot of polution. What's more, it's 100% natural. But we're too stupid to use it... <br></blockquote><p>I should have included that on my list of organic waste that can be used as fuel for the biodigestor, and generate domestic electricity.
Monocromatico

Postby Siren » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:23 pm

This is true!<p>Also, though the uranium in power plants is recyclable, usually people don't because it costs money and time. <p>Just because you can waste energy, doesn't mean you should. Laconian Shot is right about TV's. Shut them off! We can't always shut our computers off every 5 minutes, but we can if we know that we're leaving the house for an hour.
Siren

Postby Benoit » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:48 am

Exactly!<br>I don't think I'm taking this too far, Prince Noah. We're talking about computers being on, unused for at least 8(!) hours, during the night. Surely that would take more energy than turning one of them on.<br> <blockquote>Calm down Benoit. Geez, no need to be spitting fire over little things.</blockquote> <br>Little things? We're talking about the environment here! If we destroy it, we can't exist! There will be nature disasters, climatic changes, melting of the polar ice if we don't do something quick!<br>And the first thing we CAN do is look at ourselves and stop wasting energy.<br>This is NO joke!
Benoit

Postby SkymanDr » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:47 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Prince Noah</i><br>It's like garage florescent lights. Each one uses 40 watts. And there's hundreds of them in a store. It takes aLOT more power to turn them on than it does to keep them running.<br></blockquote><p>That is acctually an urban myth. They have the same effect when they are "turning on" (in lack of a better word) as when they are running. <p>Regarding Uranium. Yes, Nuclear power is reasonably safe, but you can't deny that the waste is a huge problem. Sure, much of the Uranium can be reused, but not indefinatly. It is a fact that every single atom of both Plutonium and uranium will eventually end up as lethla nuclear waste. Sure, nowadays using lasers we can reduce the halflife of radioactive Iodine and such by rather much, but that only partly solves a part of the problem.
SkymanDr

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:58 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><br>But energy is never lost. So if you save it, you use less. The fact itself that you're wasting is already enough reason for you to turn off your PC.<br></blockquote><p>This statement blanttantly contradicts everything you say about saving energy. If we are not losing energy, then there is no point in saving it up by turning off computers. Oh and cutting down trees from rain forests are doing ten times more damage to the enviroment than any nuclear waste. If fact i do not recall any mishaps of enviromental destruction done by nulcear watse. Can you name one?<br><p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1081450742[/TIME]][/size]
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Benoit » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:36 pm

<blockquote>This statement blanttantly contradicts everything you say about saving energy. If we are not losing energy, then there is no point in saving it up by turning off computers.</blockquote> <br>You don't understand. The energy is never lost, yes, but it is transformed into another material. But it's a waste (matter of speech) to 'burn' it for nothing.<br> <blockquote>Oh and cutting down trees from rain forests are doing ten times more damage to the enviroment than any nuclear waste. If fact i do not recall any mishaps of enviromental destruction done by nulcear watse. Can you name one? </blockquote> <br>Now don't change the subject. It's true that cutting rain forests do massive damage too, but as of now, there isn't really anything we can do about it on our own.<br>No, I can't name environmental destruction done by nuclear waste. But rest assured that it's still very dangerous. Even the slightest error can be fatal.<p>Is turning off your PC that hard? And don't both to answer that; it's a rhetorical question.<br>People are so stupid and lazy these days...
Benoit

Postby Prince Noah » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:44 pm

Did anyone even bother to read my post? %)<p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Prince Noah</i><p>Us Americans have gigantic windmills (looks like an enormous propeller) that generate electricity. And we have LOTS of them. If that isn't enough, all scientists have to do is find some way to seperate H2O (water) from Hydrogen. It's those two things that make water. Just that, and we would last forever. :D<br></blockquote><p><blockquote>Little things? We're talking about the environment here! If we destroy it, we can't exist! There will be nature disasters, climatic changes, melting of the polar ice if we don't do something quick! </blockquote> <p>I meant what HuBBs said to you, not the environment. He said, "Well then I guess I'll waste all the energy I want because I can." That's what I meant as a little thing. As far as I know, he was trying to make a point with you.<p>And besides, as I said, we have many others ways of generating electricity. Giant windmills (seriously), power stations, burning coal, things like that.<p>And yes, cutting down trees is another way to destroy us all. As you all know, tress give us Oxygen to breath. But workers keep cutting them down to build houses that people never buy, or they use them for firewood. "Well, PLANTS give us oxygen too." >_< TREES give us more oxygen than anything else in the world.<p>But I'd worry more about the fact that people here in Colorado ALWAYS use their 1-ton (2,000 lbs. capacity) trucks for their everyday transportation. :@ THAT makes me mad. Those trucks only get about 8 miles to the gallon, PLUS they put out alot more pollution than cars. I know because, my truck gets 12. I've known cars to get 34 miles. What I'm trying to say is (for truck drivers only) "Use a CAR for everyday transportation!!"<p>Here are MY suggestions:<p>1: Use a vehicle ONLY for it's purpose. Trucks for WORK ONLY. NOT FOR TRIPS.<br>2: Shut off all electrical appliances (clocks accepted) when not being used for an hour or more.<br>3: Have turbines made, use them in a waterfall or something like that. Better still, put them in an ALWAYS flowing river.<p>But us Americans have to worry about one more thing. As you all know, of all the land on the earth, China has the highest population. If we're not careful like we should be, we're alot more likely to end up like them.<p>One more thing. I'm gettin a little tired of hearing stupid excuses like, "Well, I'll die happy. ;)" It's not just one guy. It's everybody ELSE too.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Prince Noah on [TIME]1091846709[/TIME]][/size]
Prince Noah

Postby LaconianShot » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:52 pm

<blockquote>If fact i do not recall any mishaps of enviromental destruction done by nulcear watse. Can you name one? <br></blockquote> <p>Try Chernobol. Huge disaster...the area aroound there won't be safe to live in for nearly 80 years. And in case you somehow didn't hear about it, Chernobol is the name of a Nuclear power plant that melted down in Russia. Also, when it melted down, it left a poisonous radiation pall that rose into the atmosphere, and now actually hovers around central Europe...though prevailing winds can change that.<p>I'm suprised no one here named that one...it was horrible.
LaconianShot

Postby Benoit » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:25 pm

Burning coal still releases CO2 in the atmosphere, which is bad.<p>I'm particularly worried about the pole ice melting. You know what would be the first consequences? The Netherlands and Belgium under water! So please have a heart... don't bury me and Butoden under the water. !@#$
Benoit

Postby Siren » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:44 pm

<blockquote>If fact i do not recall any mishaps of enviromental destruction done by nulcear watse. Can you name one? <p></blockquote><p>Chrenobol, like Laconian Shot said, but also the Love Cannal. It's a place near Niagra falls, and nuclear waste has been deposited there. The earth itself is poisonous there! Scientists also say that it will never be completely safe to live in.<p>Also, the aftermath of Hiroshima. The flowers there are mutated into horrendous shapes, and the people there are still getting sick from radiation.<p>Heh, now that I've done my spiel, I ask you, Hubbs Doctor, if they educate you about nuclear waste.<p>[size=small][Edit by Siren on [TIME]1081467967[/TIME]][/size]
Siren

Postby Prince Noah » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:22 am

<blockquote>Burning coal still releases CO2 in the atmosphere, which is bad. </blockquote><p>Oh my god, Benny! CO2 is what we breathe out! Trees breathe that in and breathe out O2 for us! CO2 keeps us alive, LEAVE IT ALONE!<p><blockquote>I'm particularly worried about the pole ice melting. You know what would be the first consequences? The Netherlands and Belgium under water! So please have a heart... don't bury me and Butoden under the water. !@#$ </blockquote><p>Well then, I hope you can swim.<p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><br> <br>Little things? We're talking about the environment here! If we destroy it, we can't exist! There will be nature disasters, climatic changes, melting of the polar ice if we don't do something quick!<br>And the first thing we CAN do is look at ourselves and stop wasting energy.<br>This is NO joke!<br></blockquote><p>Ha! I think it's hillarious!<p>[size=small][Edit by Prince Noah on [TIME]1091846909[/TIME]][/size]
Prince Noah

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:24 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><p>Try Chernobol. Huge disaster...the area aroound there won't be safe to live in for nearly 80 years. And in case you somehow didn't hear about it, Chernobol is the name of a Nuclear power plant that melted down in Russia. Also, when it melted down, it left a poisonous radiation pall that rose into the atmosphere, and now actually hovers around central Europe...though prevailing winds can change that.<p>I'm suprised no one here named that one...it was horrible.<br></blockquote><p>Wow! Your named the only diaster ever. And whats funny is Chernolbal was the first "EXPERIMENTAL" Nuclear power plant in russia.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:30 am

Also, the aftermath of Hiroshima. The flowers there are mutated into horrendous shapes, and the people there are still getting sick from radiation.
<p>Well thats a big duh there. It was the First A bomb made. The scientists back then never knew that would happen.<p>
Heh, now that I've done my spiel, I ask you, Hubbs Doctor, if they educate you about nuclear waste.
<p>Why yes they do in fact. In every one of my chemistry starting from the 6th grade. But I haven't taken one since I graduated high school because my interests persue of goal of getting myself a job and providing for myself and not worrying about stupid bullshit like harmful nuclear waste that you will never come in contact with.
HuBBsDoctor

Postby LaconianShot » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:33 am

Siren also mentioned Love Cannal, Hubbs. There's many others too.<p>In the US' haste to become relient upon Nuclear power plants, they also made an extremely stupid mistake. On the west coast of the US, there are many Nuclear power plants, corrrect? Well, wouldn't it just happen that they built the plants extremely close to a fault line. Bet you didn't know that, did you? What, persay, would happen if there was a major shifting in the plates on that boarder? They would, probably, cause enough damage to trigger a meltdown within these plants. How safe is that?
LaconianShot

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:40 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><p>Siren also mentioned Love Cannal, Hubbs. There's many others too.<p>In the US' haste to become relient upon Nuclear power plants, they also made an extremely stupid mistake. On the west coast of the US, there are many Nuclear power plants, corrrect? Well, wouldn't it just happen that they built the plants extremely close to a fault line. Bet you didn't know that, did you? What, persay, would happen if there was a major shifting in the plates on that boarder? They would, probably, cause enough damage to trigger a meltdown within these plants. How safe is that? <br></blockquote><p>Well for one thing, there aren't any powerplants near any faultlines on the west coast. Why? Because the smart industrial americans who own these plants hired people who specialize in checking the terrain to make sure that they aren't putting the plants in harms way being damaged. Thats also why many power plants in california are many miles away from the cities they supply. So that they are far away from the faultlines. You'd have to be an idiot to recommend to build a plant in harms way.<br> And tell me Laconian, do you even live in the US? Have you ever been to the west coast?
HuBBsDoctor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion