WHY Microsoft is bad

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby PhanGarrett » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:22 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>I'll ask him again then.<p>No, it can't be argued, because I have yet to see one site telling me otherwise.<br>If you believe that it's okay if it gets the message accross, would you like me to start typing "liek dis"? I know you wouldn't.<br></blockquote><p>In the case of grave misspellings Benoit, those make a message more difficult to read, and furthermore, spelling effects the apparent pronunciation; which means that spelling a certain way can make you sound drunk or just plain unintelligent.<p>In the case of something obscure and trivial, such as apostrophe placement after the identifier for a particular decade, it really doesn't matter. In printed publications, you're liable to find it written both ways.<p>You'll find it both ways, because the apostrophe does not always serve as a posessive article. "It's" for example does not indicate something belongs to "It," but rather, it's a contraction of "It is." Just the same, "Why's" is a contraction of "Why is" rather than indicating that something belongs to "Why."<p>Just the same, it's a common practice to use an apostrophe in the plural form of a proper noun that ends in numerals; for example, "We've got several 109's down at the docks." You wouldn't spell out "seven, One-zero-nines" because that looks awkward. Just the same, you wouldn't write, "seven 109s" because that looks awkward, as well.<p>Just the same, we might use 80's, or we might use '80s, but we generally wouldn't use '80's, because that, as well, looks awkward. Remember that the written English language is geared toward keeping the language easy to read, and when used properly, offers a minimum of stumbling blocks. That doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to write, but quite specifically, it's supposed to be easy to read.<p>Most importantly though, the matter is trivial. Neither form, be it 80's or 80s causes confusion to the reader, which makes it a moot detail.<p>Benoit, I would reccomend that you stop making arguments over trivial details like this. It's stuff like this that has gotten you banned from other forums and has otherwise caused you to lose friendships. The world will not end because of a minor inaccuracy in grammar, behavior or debate. No one cares if it's "1980's" or "1980s". No one particularly cares if someone mistakenly types "their" instead of "there" or "they're" from time to time. A minor inaccuracy in an argument expressed in a debate does not merit a new message-- especially when the debater's opponent will inevitably call him on his mistake, anyway. Just let the conversation flow where it will. No one likes a nit-picker.<p>[size=small][Edit by PhanGarrett on [TIME]1083018834[/TIME]][/size]
PhanGarrett

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:45 pm

The vangarrett has spoken and the hubbs is silenced by it.
HuBBsDoctor

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:17 pm

Just one point.<br> <blockquote>It's stuff like this that has gotten you banned from other forums and has otherwise caused you to lose friendships.</blockquote> <br>That's not true. I've never lost friendships due to stuff like this. Nit-picking never caused such stuff.<br>What did cause such stuff is my sometimes badly worded opinions, which then turn out to be offensive.
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:34 pm

Pity is such a ridiculous micronian emotion..<p>You and your culture!<p>
Lord Khyron

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby LaconianShot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:26 pm

Hey Khyron...is that a Robotech type of thing?<br> <blockquote>That's not true. I've never lost friendships due to stuff like this. Nit-picking never caused such stuff.</blockquote> <br>Not directly...that is to say, the nit-picking itself is not to blame...but...<br>When you do that type of thing, it gives you an air of perfectionism. And people don't like that...consequentially, it makes them resent you, and I can see things like what VanGarrett spoke of happening. *Sigh* Now, after many people have said this, could you keep the nit-picking to a minimum?
LaconianShot

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:43 am

Yes, Micronian is the Zentraedi or T'sentrati term for a human.<p>Since Zentraedi can be micronized, Micro-Human is the resulting<br>word and so it becomes "MICRONIAN" or "MICRON" to mean one <br>who is Micronized.<p>Now in DYRL, Macross 2 and Plus, Micronians are called MICRONS.<p>Meltran/Zentran/Zentradi/Meltrandi.. Hehe<p>You micronians are so amusing!<br>
Lord Khyron

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:36 am

I understood very little of what you just said...I know very little of the Macross/Robotech series. About the only thing that I know is Super Demensional Fortress Macross and...<b>MINMEI!!!</b><br>She's an idol singer, right?
LaconianShot

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:42 am

take the macross and robotech talk to the anime forum for anime talk.
HuBBsDoctor

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Benoit » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:35 am

The nit-picking already is to a minimum. Guess it's when you nit-pick my nit-picking that hell breaks loose. ;)
Benoit

WHY Microsoft is bad

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:15 pm

Bloating and bloating out of proportion! We're all being crushed!<p>Too many messages accumulating.. Ah..<p>Abandon ship after me!<p>LOL!
Lord Khyron

Previous

Return to General Discussion