Phantasy Star III2K - new fangame on the way!

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Lysander86 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Hey everybody,<p>I've followed a twisty series of links to get here, but this seems to be the place to go for Phantasy Star-inspired fangames, so here I am! I thought I'd get onto the radar of the Phan Community by letting you all know that my reimagining of Phantasy Star III is currently on track for a demo release at the end of April. If all goes well, I'll have an RM2K3 folder of the First Generation ready for download by then, so stay tuned!<p>And now... some words of warning. ;)<p>PS3 was probably the most influential RPG that I played as a kid, and it really shaped the way that I tell stories - that said, there were some little things about it that bugged me, so PS32K takes some pretty big liberties with the plot, enough that probably purists won't be too happy with my vision of what went down on Alisa III. Also, graphics are my weakest area - I don't know if anyone on these boards has seen my other games, but look for A Blurred Line, The Book of Three, The Blue Contestant, or The Frozen World if you want proof of my lack of graphical ability; some of them are real eyesores. So that means graphics won't be perfect, and characters probably won't look entirely as you expect.<p>Yeah, Maia doesn't have blue hair. Doh! #) <p>Where I hope to excel is in dialogue, cutscenes, and gameplay - PS32K might play fast and loose with some of the details of the original, but I think overall it's a pretty solid effort. Think of it like interactive fanfiction - if you don't like it, at least you'll always have the original. You'll also have Kal's remake, which seems to be sticking much more closely to the original than mine. Cool character sets, too. :D <p>So that's what I've been up to! I look forward to poking around a little more (you guys have kept the PS torch burning, it looks like!) and keep an eye out for a demo of PS32K by the end of the month! Hopefully. ;)<p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby gm2987 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:19 pm

K... well isn't there already a PS3 remake being made?
gm2987

Postby Lysander86 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Yep.<p>I've actually been working on PS32K for about a year now, but I think my project and Kal's will satisfy different needs - his looks to adhere much more strictly to the plot and graphics of the original PS games, so purists will probably be much happier with his version, for instance.<p>You should play both! :D <p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:30 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Lysander86</i><p>Yep.<p>I've actually been working on PS32K for about a year now, but I think my project and Kal's will satisfy different needs - his looks to adhere much more strictly to the plot and graphics of the original PS games, so purists will probably be much happier with his version, for instance.<p>You should play both! :D <p>Lys<br></blockquote><p>One can never have too much PS3 :D I'm looking forward to this, too, now; I love seeing different perspectives on PS3. I can understand why so many people are disenchanted with the game itself (although I'm not one of them); but the characters and situations just offer so much potential for development.<p>So...yay! <br> :D
marmotgirl

Postby Benoit » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:04 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by gm2987</i><p>K... well isn't there already a PS3 remake being made?<br></blockquote><br>Read more carefully next time.<br><blockquote>You'll also have Kal's remake, which seems to be sticking much more closely to the original than mine. Cool character sets, too.</blockquote>
Benoit

Postby LaconianShot » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:16 am

Excellent... PSIII is a truly underrated game that has potential that deserves to be realized. Hopefully you can accomplish this, whether you take bigger liberties or no. I have no problem with taking, uh, creative license, so long as it's supported.<br>I look forward to the demo, Lys.
LaconianShot

Postby Dorrinal Blackmantle » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:56 am

That's nice to hear. It will be good to play a fan game for once.<p>...so finish it already because in my experience, announcing an unfinished fan-game dooms it to Eternal Demo.
Dorrinal Blackmantle

Postby Monocromatico » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:45 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Dorrinal Blackmantle</i><p>That's nice to hear. It will be good to play a fan game for once.<p>...so finish it already because in my experience, announcing an unfinished fan-game dooms it to Eternal Demo.<br></blockquote><p>I second that with all my heart and soul.
Monocromatico

Postby Lysander86 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I've seen a few games all the way through to completion (BOT, TBC, TFW), so I have high hopes.<p>So far so good with PS32K, too - I'm up to Shusoran at the moment, so that leaves Satellite Control and the Cille events, followed by balancing battles and doing items/monsters, so I think my goal of a demo by the end of April is accomplishable.<p><prepares an Escapipe just in case><p> :D <p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby Dorrinal Blackmantle » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:02 pm

That's great! Shut up and do it. :)
Dorrinal Blackmantle

Postby Lysander86 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:52 pm

Absolutely! See, first I'll - <p>Oh. My bad.<p><Shuts up and does it><p> :D <p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby Lysander86 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:38 pm

Status update:<p>It's now possible to start from the beginning and play all the way through to the end of the First Generation, with all cutscenes and maps in place, so I'm on schedule so far! The next step is to populate all the towns (except for Yaata and Ilan and most of Hazatak, which are already full of people. And cyborgs.) and to implement battles and items and skills.<p>Obviously some of PS3's neat battle dynamics are going to be missing (like targeting different groups of enemies, for instance), but I'm working to come up with alternate means of making battles interesting.<p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby Dorrinal Blackmantle » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:00 pm

Great progress!<p>We don't care until it's finished. ;)
Dorrinal Blackmantle

Postby Gipper » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:42 pm

Cool...can I get a demo NOW?
Gipper

Postby Mage1 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:44 pm

Cool...can I get a demo now?
Mage1

Next

Return to Fan stuff