Phantasy Star III2K Released!

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby halla » Fri May 06, 2005 7:04 pm

Bugwise to try to help you.. I did notice that Lyles long range tech missed everytime for me I beleive. If I come across or remember any more I will let you know.
halla

Postby Lysander86 » Fri May 06, 2005 7:22 pm

I'm not sure what the deal with Long Reach is - as far as I can tell, it shouldn't be missing at all. That's a weird one. :? <p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby halla » Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm

I myself dont really like the near distant system. I like a lot of the new stuff you added makes playing a game already beat worthwhile, thats just one I dont like.
halla

Postby Lysander86 » Fri May 06, 2005 10:18 pm

Do you have Version 1.1b, Halla? That one makes the Near/Distant system a little more fair, in that you can still do damage when you're using the wrong type of weapon (you just do less damage instead of zero damage).<p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby halla » Sat May 07, 2005 7:54 am

Yea I do. Yea it does less damage but should just be same for any of them... but its your game.
halla

Postby LaconianShot » Sun May 08, 2005 1:49 am

Lysander, I downloaded the game this afternoon and have this to say: your game is very well done... the music fits, no glitches, nice elaboration on the story and good looking sprites, barring the Mieu sprite which in my view is attrocious. I love the Fire Emblem music in Landen's dungeon, and all the new features you've added such as animal parts and skills for Rhys. However, I would've liked to see the mature look that PSIII featured, as well as more serious writing. That's not to say that either of those things isn't well done... I just would've prefered a different approach. The game, where I'm at, seems as if it's too... <i>light</i>. I always was under the impression that PSIII was the dark, brooding Phantasy Star game, whereas your remake doesn't evoke that feel. <br>In any case, though, I feel you have accomplished something and your game is certainly commendable.
LaconianShot

Postby Lysander86 » Sun May 08, 2005 12:30 pm

Thanks, Laconian! :) <p>I agree with you that PS3 is definitely a pretty brooding game, but one of the decisions I made early on was that since I don't have the graphical prowess to make new sprites and chipsets, I'd need to use the ones that were out there - and most of them are of the bright and colorful variety. The writing followed suit, I think.<p>I wonder if it was possible to keep the grim nature of the original with the scope of the remake I had in mind, though. When you have fifteen villagers per town instead of five, it's quite a bit more difficult to keep up the doom and gloom - this way I could have actual conversations and mix up the variety. I think in some respects the dark nature of the original game is due to technological and time limitations more than any clear design decision; which isn't to say that there aren't grim elements (the beginning of Sean's quest springs to mind - good lord!) but instead that it's possible to have a telling of PS3 that doesn't dwell on the austere nature of the original.<p>It's different, and that can be a double-edged sword. I hope you'll play some more of it! :) <p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby halla » Mon May 09, 2005 2:43 am

hey good job so far... beat gen 1 and im ready for 2 whenever it comes out ; ... good work and take your time to do your best and when you have time
halla

Postby Lord Khyron » Mon May 09, 2005 4:23 am

Lysander, use CHARAS.EX and you can make new charsets!<p>Over like 1 million possibilities.
Lord Khyron

Postby runex » Sun May 15, 2005 12:02 am

Thumbs Up. This game is definitly fun, and intriguing.
runex

Postby LaconianShot » Sun May 15, 2005 4:49 am

Finished the game. Married Lena, as there was added incentive to anyway. Only ever unlocked the Medic Loadout for Wren, even though I know I could've got the Power Loadout. Oh well, I'll be trying to get it on my second play through. Loved the ending of the first generation, by the way. Very interesting, made me want to play more. <p>Now, before you release the entire thing, I would recommend changing Mieu's sprite, as well as Lyle's. They just don't seem to fit... Mieu looks like a pregnant lady, and Lyle doesn't resemble his battle sprite at all. Now, you may be reluctant to change this because of a sense of similiarity between the sprites, but I think I have a request that wouldn't be all that hard to honor: character portraits. I think it'd be real great if you could include the orginal PSIII's character portraits in conversation or at least on the menu screen. <p>It's good that the only thing I can pick apart about your remake is the fact that the graphics are less mature then the original. Everything else is near top notch, especially the music. Like I said, if I had to pick a greivance with this game, it would be the graphics, and that's pretty much it. Excellent job... I look forward to the further installments.<p>Lastly, I found one glitch: after getting Lena's items from the Guard Tower in Shushoran, if you go back into that room you will not be able to exit, as Lena will say that you have not retrieved all her items, even when you had prior to then.
LaconianShot

Postby Lysander86 » Tue May 17, 2005 5:58 pm

Thanks for the comments, Laconian! I messed up on the check for the Moon Stone at that event, which is where that bug came from. It'll be fixed in the next version, but that's a cringeworthy error. Oopsie!<p>For the graphics, I'll definitely be trying to give Lyle his white cape - I probably won't edit the sprite much more than that, since my graphics skills are pretty bad. Mieu I'm not sure about, but if I can find a better one that still meshes with the rest of the characters, I'd probably swap that in.<p>Character portraits would be neat, but if I use them at all it would probably be on the menu screen - adding them to the dialogue boxes would involve rewriting all the text to fit, and that's kind of a massive undertaking: one thing I definitely did with this game was multiply the amount of text in it by some humongous number. I don't even want to think about that. :p <p>I wondered if I skewed the game a little too much in favor of Lena, but it felt a little unavoidable given the way the quest is structured. Either Lena is sympathetic enough that you can justify Rhys essentially abandoning his quest at the end of it, or his decision to marry Lena just comes out of nowhere. The troubling thing about it is that I like Ayn's game better, but I have a feeling most people will be choosing Lena. I guess we'll see how it goes. :D <p>Lys
Lysander86

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue May 17, 2005 10:40 pm

Why don't you just use Charas.ex to make a Mieu sprite?<p>
Lord Khyron

Postby LaconianShot » Tue May 17, 2005 10:56 pm

Lysander, your sprite skills actually are quite good, if a little hit and miss. It's just that the Mieu sprite warrants a serious editing... Mieu looks pregnant. Other then that, I thought most sprites (especially Wren) were very well done.<br><blockquote>Character portraits would be neat, but if I use them at all it would probably be on the menu screen</blockquote> <br>That's alright... it helps set the tone. Though you might want to edit them slightly to match your sprites. <br>In any case, a very good game, and I'll be playing the it over again to try to get the secrets and such.
LaconianShot

Postby Jamesfnquinn » Wed May 18, 2005 1:16 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Lord Khyron</i><p>Why don't you just use Charas.ex to make a Mieu sprite?<p></blockquote><p>Hey where can I get that?
Jamesfnquinn

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff