PS3 Fanfic: Echoes of the Past (New Sectionette, 1/14)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Amwhere » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:39 am

(HTML version, which is much more suitable for printing is here: http://www.geocities.com/amwhere/ps3story.html. Please forgive the ads. This version will also the one to be de-typoed, when I get around to it.)<p>Part One: The end<p>AW 10^97, somewhere in the universe<p>A pair of truly ancient eyes looked on as the last black hole in the universe speed towards self-destruction. While the ancient being's body and brain had been replaced countless times in its existence, its mind still identified itself as Mieu.<p>Mieu looked on in sadness as the black hole exploded, flooding the tiny little corner of the universe with light. If Rhys or Aron's eyes had been present, this would be the last time ever that they could see, unless Mieu produced the light herself. The light faded away and the truly eternal night closed in. The universe, for all intents and proposes, had died. <p>Mieu activated the only system in her exotic matter body that had never been used before. Somewhere in the cold, dark universe, a new universe burst into being, expanding and gobbling up the old universe. This renaissance universe would be lively, like the universe of long ago.<p>Mieu had designed systems within herself to allow her to function in this new universe. It would be trillions of years, however, before the phase transition wavefront enveloped her.She began to relive memories of long ago, and old, dead universe fleetingly lived once again... <p>AW 2333, Lashute, Terminus Dome, Alisa III <p>Dark Force's roar shook the dust from the walls as Laya reached back and pulled an arrow from her quiver. Nocking the arrow to the Nei Bow, she drew the bowstring back to her cheek and released it. The bow twanged and the arrow whistled through the air, speeding towards Dark Force's monstrous head. The black tipped arrow hit Dark Force in between the eyes and clattered to the plexiglas floor. Dark Force had disappeared.<p>"Where are you, Dark Force?" Aron yelled, but only his voice echoing off the walls answered him.<p>"I don't detect any presence in this room other than the five of us." Wren said.<p>Kara sheathed her slicers. "That means... we won?"<p>"If we did," Laya grumbled, "it was damn anticlimactic."<p>Mieu's claws retracted back into her forearms with an audible snick. "Now what?"<p>Aron shook his head. "I'm not sure. I suppose that we'll head back to Dahlia and tell my father and Lune what happened. After that..."<p>Dark Force's voice boomed in the air. "Ha ha! Wasn't that ship explosion a blast? I destroyed one of the two remaining ships left out of the original 400; you're the last one now! I'll finish your ship off 1,000 years hence."<p>"How dare you!" Aron shouted back, "How dare you use such an awful pun like that!" He turned around and found Mieu, Kara, and Laya staring at him, dumbstruck.<p>"Uhhh..." The three intelligently said in unison.<p>Aron felt blood rush to his face. "Right." He turned back around.<p>"You really messed that one up, didn't you?" The disembodied voice jeered.<p>"Yeah, I guess I did. Can you repeat your line? I'll take it from there."<p>Dark Force's sigh ruffled Aron's hair. "Oh, alright. Ha ha! Wasn't that ship explosion a blast? I destroyed one of the two remaining ships left out of the original 400; you're the last one now! I'll finish your ship off 1,000 years hence."<p>"How dare you!" Aron was feeling it now, "How dare you joke about the deaths you caused! Those people on that ship were just like us! They liked life, music, and apple pie!"<p>The chamber the party was in began to shake very lightly as Aron continued to scream pointless phrases. "Do you feel that?" Kara asked.<p>"Confirmed," Wren replied. "The tremors are growing."<p>Mieu began to run back towards the stairs. "Then we've got to get out of here! Wren, grab him!"<p>"Those people liked freedom... hey!" Wren's strong metal hand closed around Aron's collar and carried him away.<p>The party hurried to the surface as the ever-increasing tremors shook Lashute apart.<p>"What is causing this?" Aron asked as a head of a large statue crashed to the ground.<p>"Your anger must have triggered Megido!" Kara yelled over the cacophony of noise.<p>"It's tearing the city apart." Wren said unnecessarily as a stone pillar crashed to the ground behind the android, peppering his Laconian armored back with stone shards.<p>Mieu looked around, trying to find a way out. All she saw were crashing pillars, rifts rending the ground, and piles of rubble everywhere. A knot of despair began to form in her non-existent stomach. "We need to get out of here!"<p>Wren had already done his own analysis of the situation and flatly remarked, "We'll never make it."<p>Suddenly, deep inside her, Mieu felt her technique system activate. She tried to stop it, but the power surge kept growing.<p>Aron turned and saw a blue glow emanating from the jewel affixed to Mieu's chest. "Mieu, what's happening?"<p>"I don't know!" The blue glow grew to envelop the entire party.<p>"Mieu!" Aron cried as the android collapsed to the crumbling stone floor. He reached out to help her, but darkness claimed him.<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1089707598[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1090575695[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1090921915[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1091426912[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1091867212[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1092600161[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1092884060[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1093298345[/TIME]][/size]<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1105752009[/TIME]][/size]
Amwhere

Postby Siren » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:38 pm

Good... I can make no complaints except that I'm not sure if this is a comedy or a serious story with comedy.
Siren

Postby Amwhere » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:22 pm

The latter, although I'm trying to poke fun at the abuptness of the end of the last boss fight in PSIII.<p>(Edit: Although it'll probably end up the former, considering the whole next section is kinda tounge in cheek. :))<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1078887317[/TIME]][/size]
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:15 am

March 16th, 2076: London, Euro-Russo Union, Earth, Sol System<p>John Underhill removed his coat and place on the only available hook.<p>"Hey, John," one the senior researchers at the London Extraterrestrial Communications Center thumped John on the back. "Ready for tomorrow?"<p>"You bet!" John replied excitedly. Tomorrow was St. Patrick's Day. When the consumption of alcohol outside the home was prohibited worldwide, St. Patrick's Day was set aside as a day where drinking was allowed everywhere. Every March 17th, the world came to a stuttering, drunken halt.<p>"Ok, people," the Comm Center chief called out, "gather around!"<p>As the crew of the Comm Center gathered around the chief, the researcher said to John, "I hope the unlucky bloke isn't me."<p>"Me neither." While most employers gave everyone the day off, vital government and UN agencies had to maintain a skeleton crew. Most agencies convinced abstainers to come to work at triple pay, but no one at the Comm Center was willing to do that. So, one person was randomly selected to stay sober (at triple pay, of course).<p>"Alright, everyone. As we decided before, the party will be here. I've already got the beer hidden away." The chief held up a hat. "I'm going to pick a name from this hat... you all know what that will mean." He dove his hand in to the hand and fished out a folded piece of paper. He slowly unfolded it and raised an eyebrow. "Well, well, well. It looks like our junior intern will be the senior man tomorrow!" He showed the paper to the rest of them. It had "John Underhill" clearly printed on it in green ink. <p>John slumped back to his cubicle, grumbling.
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:16 am

AW 2333, secondary control room under Aridia dome, Alisa III<br> <br> Mieu opened her eyes and found herself staring at a metal ceiling. She sat up. <p> "You're awake." Wren said, not turning from the control panel he was monitoring. "What is your status?" <p> "I'm fine, Wren." She felt tired, a sure sign of power drain. If she wished, she could have demanded a detailed report from her body, but she felt no need. The tired feeling was fading even as she got to her feet. "Where are the others?" <p> "In the other room, sleeping." <p> "What happened? What was that blue glow?" <p> "I have in my databanks a scientific paper written by a Dr. Ludo Grantz..." <p> "Grantz? The Sages of Sage Isle granted me a technique called Grantz!" <p> Wren paused as Mieu talked, and started up again afterwards. He's in data playback mode, Mieu thought. <p> "...written 80 years before the destruction of Palma. Dr. Grantz discovered a way allow androids to teleport themselves and others. A prototype Grantz generator was created and tested with some success. However, no existing android power system at the time could handle it, and it led to either irreparable damage or the power systems exploding. Apparently, your power systems handled it adequately." <p> "Thank you for your concern," Mieu muttered. <p> "The technology was never attempted to be used in production androids, but a improved escapipe did result from the research." Wren paused as he came out of data playback mode. "Apparently, my databanks are out of date." <p> "How did the Sages grant me this, then? I didn't feel anything unusual when they did." <p> "Somehow, the Sages knew how to activate the dormant system. It is impossible to teach techniques to androids, so you must have built with it." <p> "Why? Why wasn't I ever told about it?" <p> "The Miun types were designed for infiltration and espionage. You, as a prototype, might of been a testbed for many experimental systems. Your Grantz system might have been flawed somehow, and so it was inactivated." <p> "Having the ability to teleport would be useful, indeed. Were the Miun types built with Grantz, then?" <p> Wren shook his head. "The Miun project was highly classified. I'm not even privy to details beyond the very basics. Did Miun tell you anything?" <p> "No," Mieu replied, "but she could have been ordered not to tell anyone anything. But, still, why wasn't I at least told about Grantz?" <p> Wren turned to face her. "You're closer to a human than I am, Mieu. If you don't know why, I wouldn't be able to surmise anything. <p> "I understand," Mieu said, nodding, "but I can't help but wonder." <p> "We should not," Wren turned back to the console, "question the wisdom of our creators." <p> Deep down, Mieu didn't feel so sure that, but she said, "You're right, Wren." She sat back down with her back against the wall. "How long have Aron and the others been sleeping?" <p> "One hour and fifty minutes. They requested to be woken when you came back online. However, it was not an order, and I decided to let them sleep." <p> "That's a good idea. It has been a long day." <p> "Indeed." <p> The red-haired android rested her head against the wall and waited for the others to wake up. She was very, very good at waiting. <br>-------------------<br>Is anyone reading this? :)
Amwhere

Postby Siren » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 am

I'm reading, Amwhere, and you know it! :) <p>Great, I'm glad to see that you're back at the site (at least for a bit) with your next installment. <p>I've got very little to recommend.<p><p>[size=small][Edit by Siren on [TIME]1080354043[/TIME]][/size]
Siren

Postby LaconianShot » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:42 am

Amwhere! You insult my intelligence! Of course I'm reading! It's very good indeed. My only complaint...that Aron is the main character and that Chrys or Adan aren't.<p>But good, still.
LaconianShot

Postby Amwhere » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:39 am

Considering this is based of Aron's ending, it would be well... dumb not to have him as the prince character.<br>(Oh, and I check the board quite often... I just don't post much.)<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1080366173[/TIME]][/size]
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:24 am

AW 1278, the city of Techna, Palma, Algol System<p>"Mieu," Miun said from across the barracks, "the Commandant wishes to see us."<p>Mieu closed the book she was reading and put in the footlocker that sat against the wall next to her niche. "Coming." She stepped forward and her foot landed in something very slippery. Her foot flew out from under her, and not ever her super-human andriod reflexes could falling backward, smacking her head the concrete wall. If Mieu had been human, she would have had a concussion and a cracked skull. As it stood, however, her Laconian skull ended up putting a dent into the concrete wall.<p>The laughter of the other twenty Miun-types in the barracks rang in Mieu's ears as she made sure none of the substance that made her slip was still on her foot. She picked herself up, and noticed that Miun herself was not laugher with the others. In fact, it seemed as if she was trying not to explode in anger.<p>Mieu avoided the small puddle of industrial lubricant that had been spilt on the floor and told Miun, "I'll be outside."[TAB][TAB][TAB][TAB][TAB]<p> Miun placed her warm, synth-flesh covered hand on Mieu's shoulder. "Wait." The general chatter that was going on died down as Miun walked to the middle of the room. "What is wrong with you?" She pointed at Mieu. "She has feelings just like us, yet you treat her like dirt!"<p>In the back far corner of the barracks, Miuu stepped out of her niche. Miuu was the second Miun type built after Muin herself, and the two clashed almost constantly. "She's inferior, Miun. What should we do?"<p>"So what if she's inferior? If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't have been built."<p>The blond haired android laughed. "Always the same argument, Miun. If Mieu hadn't been made, a prototype would have been. That could have been you, Miun. Heck, we all might be called `Miuu types'!"<p>Mieu could tell that Miun was fumbling for a response. "Well... she could be more advanced than us after all. She is the prototype."<p>Miuu laughed again. "Right... and I'm Mother Brain in disguise. Ms. Eighty-One here won't ever become more than a poor imitation of our greatness."<p>[TAB][TAB][TAB][TAB]"Ms. Eighty-One" was a reference to Mieu's Sage-Ashley rating. The S-A rating was devised by Drs. Joshua Sage and Emil Ashley over two centuries ago to measure the sentience and consciousness of Artificial Intelligences. The most advance of the Wren types rated at a mere 67, while the Muin types where the highest AI ever measured at 88. Palmans, for comparison, rated between 98 and 100. Soon after the S-A rating system came in to use, an order from Mother Brain banned all development of AIs a S-A rating of 95, as that would be considered too human.<p>"What is so great about us if we treat anyone like this? Come on, Mieu, lets go."<p>"Yeah, walk away!" Miuu yelled as Miun grabbed Mieu by the arm and led her out of the barracks. "You know, I'm ashamed to have a name that sounds the same as that obsolete rust bucket!"<br>------------------<br>Comments, questions, things you'd like to see?<br>
Amwhere

Postby Siren » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:12 pm

First of all, Amwhere, I apologize for not reading this earlier. For some reason, the board didn't recognize the post, and I didn't see the post. That or its my computer.<p>Anyway, that was great. I'm glad someone is expanding on Mieu cyborgs. Also, the Sage-Ashley thing was cool. Would that be Amy's parents? <p>Keep writing, and I'll try and reply a bit quicker next time.
Siren

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:18 pm

Mine wouldn't appear until today either...odd. I like how you're developing Mieu...there's something more about her, isn't there? Hehehe...nice foreshadowing.
LaconianShot

Postby Amwhere » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:08 pm

Oh, yes, they're is quite a bit more to Mieu, but you won't see what until the beginning-middle of the next 'Part'.<p>To give you an idea where I am now, I've got a 3 page outline for this part. I've got 40-odd handwritten pages (ends up about 18 typed, when I type them), and I've not gotten to the end of the first page of the outline. :)<p>To make things easier on myself, I wrote a program in Visual Basic that can take a set of tags and produce both CuteBB board code and HTML. If there is any interest for this, let me know.<p>
Amwhere

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:12 pm

Hmm...right now I'm coding my own site in HTML, so yes there is some interest on my part. Explain further, please.
LaconianShot

Postby Amwhere » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:41 pm

All my program does is read through a text file, looking for tags.<p>Example:<br>{h}Header{/h}<br>This is text. {bi}Bold, italic text{/bi}<br>{page}<br>This a new page.<p>The CuteBB formated text would look like:<p>Header<br>This is text. Bold, italic text<p>---------------------Post Break-------------------------<p>This a new page.<p>---<br>(Of course, you'd cut and paste the first post, then the second.)<p>The HTML is here: http://www.geocities.com/amwhere/out.html<p>I wouldn't use this for a complete website, although you could (when I add all the tags I want, that is). This is designed for people who write serial BB stories (like this one) who want to have an easier to print, uninterupted HTML copy somewhere on the web.<br>
Amwhere

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:43 pm

Ahh...well that pertains very little to the developing of my site, but thanks anyway.
LaconianShot

Next

Return to Fan stuff