PS3 Fanfic: Echoes of the Past (New Sectionette, 1/14)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Amwhere » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:19 pm

LS: I mean, if you got to sit down and talk with her. (You now have an email!)<p>Siren: I use cyborg and android in the same mixed up manner that PS does. They're androids. (That does lead to a good question, though. The Palmans obvoiusly have the tech to make cyborgs... hmmm...) <p>As for Mieu looking human? All in good time, my friend. :)<p>
Amwhere

Postby LaconianShot » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:25 pm

Alright. I'll get back to you in a bit.<p>I'd ask Mieu...does you feel sorrow? Or joy? Or any true emotions? Of course, I think I know what she'd say.<p>[size=small][Edit by LaconianShot on [TIME]1091745439[/TIME]][/size]
LaconianShot

Postby Amwhere » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:20 pm

Asked, and answered. (On paper, anyway. You'll see it soon enough.)
Amwhere

Postby Siren » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:49 am

<blockquote>I use cyborg and android in the same mixed up manner that PS does. They're androids. (That does lead to a good question, though. The Palmans obvoiusly have the tech to make cyborgs... hmmm...) <br></blockquote> <p>According to the proper translation, yes. But Corey (psp) and I had a talk about that a while back. It's a little something that I've been thinking about for a long time...<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Siren on [TIME]1091760645[/TIME]][/size]
Siren

Postby Amwhere » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:26 am

And now, something completely different...<br>The next section me be awhile... I sort of wrote things out of order. <p>5:32 AM GST, UNSAS Talleyrand<p>The Alisa III was a truly colossal ship. When Colonel Duster radioed for landing clearance, a quarter mile long section of the ship slid open to reveal a two mile deep hanger. Duster whistled. "No chance of hitting the sides on this one. Wonder why it's empty, though."<p>The colonel gently guided the shuttle into the hanger and landed it perfectly at the hanger's center. "They must have some sort of force field covering the hanger's opening. There's atmosphere in here."<p>One of the two UN Space Marines aboard the shuttle had already unstrapped himself and was helping Schmidt out of his seat. "This is how it is going to work, sir. We will exit the shuttle first and make sure there are no threats outside. Then you two will exit.<p>"Very well. Semper Fi." Schmidt stood up and stretched.<p>"Semper Fi, sir." The two marines checked their M5A2 rifles, nodded to each other, and cycled through. "It's clear, sir," the marine said over the radio, "there's a... robot out here."<p>"Not just aliens, but robots too? Wow." John said. "It's like science fiction come to life."<p>"Come on, Mr. Underhill." Schmidt lead John through the airlock. <p>The being who greeted them was metallic from head to toe, save for it's face, which appeared to have flesh covering it. "Greetings, Mr. Secretary, Mr. Underhill. I am Wren." The robot said in a warm baritone.<p>"I've been talking to a robot for the past week? I can't believe it." John exclaimed.<p>"Let's go," Schmidt said. "Aron must be waiting for us."<p>"Of course," Wren replied, "if you will follow me..."
Amwhere

Postby LaconianShot » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:49 pm

Hm, that was interesting. Nicely done.<br>I've edited your story once...I'm going through a second time to see whether I missed anything.
LaconianShot

Postby Siren » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:49 pm

Hmmm. This chapter/section reminded me of something. <br>When you said hanger, I thought of Techna and its hanger that leads to Sattelite/Azura. Sattelite was destroyed (depending on how you take it. I don't think Sattelite was destroyed in Aron's story)...but that led me to think of its counterpart, Daliah. <p>Amwhere, are you forgetting something?<br>What happened to Daliah? You haven't mentioned it yet...which is odd because they would most definitely notice a moon. Perhaps you're saving that for later...<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Siren on [TIME]1091911864[/TIME]][/size]
Siren

Postby Amwhere » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:22 pm

I haven't forgot about it... I just haven't figured out what to do with it. Remember that you don't see either moon in Aron's ending.<p>
Amwhere

Postby Siren » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:55 am

But it's very safe to assume that it is there, or else they would give evidence that it may have disappeared. Remember the scale when you fly to either moons. The moons (more properly, sattelites) are very small; slightly smaller than a dome. It would make sense to leave them out and in the last scene to prevent clutter and confusion, and also few would be able to distinguish them from the stars that appear in the distance.<p>Still, there's always two sides (or more). One could suggest that it was slung out of orbit in the Black Hole...<p>Anyways, take it how you want. After all, it is your story, and I won't debate if it's right or wrong. :) I was merely curious.<p>[size=small][Edit by Siren on [TIME]1091930239[/TIME]][/size]
Siren

Postby Amwhere » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:49 am

Hmm... something to think about, that's for sure.
Amwhere

Postby Kienashe » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:27 am

Miun rubber her chin. "Hmmm.... I'll see what I can do in the morning."<p>I LOVE that typo :D , very funny. Nice sections too, very interesting.
Kienashe

Postby Amwhere » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:55 pm

AW 1278, City of Techna, Palma <p>"Check."<p>Mieu made herself look as if she was intently looking at the makeshift chess board laid out on the living room table. The Earthman had explained the game to her as they had breakfast.<p>"Hmm... I'm in a bind here, aren't I?" Actually, she could see several ways to turn the game around. Her move, however, wasn't one of them, as she moved the meseta piece representing the rook into a position to protect her king. "Your move."<p>Mieu had intentionally moved so that the Earthman could mate her in a few moves. When he finally did, he said, "Well played."<p>"You too."<p>A sudden look of realization appeared on the Earthman's face. "You let me win, didn't you?"<p>Mieu smiled ever so slightly and said, "You forget, Tim, that while I'm human in a lot of ways, I'm still an incredibly sophisticated computer. I could see ten moves ahead in the time it takes you to blink." The smile grew into a grin. "But a mere computer would have won as quickly as possible, your feelings be damned."<p>"Thank you, then. I guess it would be pretty frustrating to lose in ten moves."<p>The android winked. "Seven moves, actually."<p>Tim shook his head. "No mere machine would wink at me, either. It's like you combine the best of humanity and robotics into one glorious whole."<p>Mieu blinked in surprise and tried to formulate a reply as the Earthman said, "How about a different Earth game?"<p>"Y-yes. That'll be fine."<p>Tim noticed the stutter. "What's wrong, Mieu? If anyone should never stutter, it should be you."<p>"You caught me off guard with your flattery. I'd never thought I'd hear someone say something like that."<p>"Why? It's the truth."<p>Mieu shrugged. "On Palma, saying that any cyborg is superior is unheard of."<p>"Well, perhaps people need to start thinking with a more open mind. You are just as human as anybody else."<p>"They only see the laconia and optical processors, and not the person. Miun is fortunate enough to pass easily as human."<p>"Look, we could discuss this for hours..."<p>"You're right. What game did you say that you wanted to play?"<p>"A card game called poker. Do you have anything that I could use to make the cards?"<p>"Yeah, I do..." The opening door cut Mieu off. Miun came in, carrying a couple large bags with each arm.<p>"Hi." Miun said, setting the bags down onto the floor.<p>"Hi, sis. What did you get?"<p>"Groceries, clothes, and news." Miun picked up one of the bags and handed it to the Earthman. "Careful, its heavy."<p>Tim gingerly took the bag, felt how heavy it was, and dropped it to the floor. "I'd say! How much was all this?"<p>"Don't worry about it. I do hope that they fit, though. I snuck in while you were sleeping and got a good look at you, but I could have misjudged you."<p>The Earthman held up a brown shirt. "I'm sure that those eyes of yours got me right."<p>"I'm sure I did." Miun smiled. "I am not, however, a clothing expert."<p>"You could be if you wanted to be." Mieu called out from the kitchen, where she was putting away the groceries. "So, what news do you have?"<p>Miun sat down on the floor. "I talked to my contacts in the government."<p>"Could you get me an identity card?"<p>Miun shook her head, tossing her long red hair from side to side. "No, unfortunately. However, I did manage to get you your own apartment next to ours."<p>Tim nodded. "That's good. I don't want to bother you any more than necessary."<p>"You aren't impinging on us at all, Tim." Mieu said.<p>"No," Miun agreed, "not at all. With the apartment, I got Mieu and I a substantial increase in our stipend to pay for your food and other necessities."<p>Mieu had finished putting the groceries away and walked back into the living room. "Why would your contacts do that?" Over the radio to her sister, she asked for the hundredth time. Just who are your contacts, anyway?<p>All in good time, sis, all in good time. Out loud, Miun said, "They want to know if you're telling the truth or not. That can be proved by either you handing over the defense chip..."<p>"You are not going to take the chip from me," the Earthman said forcefully. "Although," he muttered, realizing his situation, "I couldn't stop you if you wanted too."<br>
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:57 pm

"We won't try to, Tim." Although, if this had been two months ago, I would have of had to. "What I think we should do is find your belongings. Surely there is proof of the truth in there."<p>"I'm certain of that... and don't call me Shirley." Tim smiled.<p>"Huh?" Miun said, "I didn't call you Shirley."<p>"It's from an old Earth movie. Anyway, want do you plan to do? The box has been out there for three months."<p>"Tomorrow, Mieu and I will try to find any clues as to its whereabouts. Then I'll go out and rent a vehicle and we can find where the box is."<p>"I'm not sure that I can remember anything about where I was when I woke up on this planet, though..."<p>"Sleep on it and see if you can remember in the morning," Mieu said.<p>Tim nodded. "I'll try. When do I move into my apartment?"<p>"Tonight," Miun replied. "Mieu will bring you your meals until you know enough about Palman food to cook for yourself." I hope that'll be alright with you, Mieu.<p>Mieu answered with a minuscule nod.<p>"Well, what about furniture?"<p>"A bed, couch, table, and chairs will be delivered later today."<p>"Thank you for everything," the Earthman said, "I'd never though I'd meet such a pair of nice people, android or otherwise."<p>"You are as different from the Palmans as we are," Mieu said, "it's the least we could do."<p>"Ummm..." Tim said with a pensive look on his face, "I shouldn't tell you this, lest it change history, but..."<p>"Change history?" Miun asked, quite puzzled.<p>"A decade before I left Earth to come here, a Palman ship visited there."<p>"Yes, you told me that." Mieu said.<p>"Yes, but there's more to it. The passengers on that ship were refugees from Palma after this planet was destroyed."<p>"Destroyed!" Miun exclaimed. "How?"<p>Tim shook his head. "I don't know how it happened, only that it did."<p>"Why couldn't you tell us? Even Miun and I, powerful as we are, can't stop something that will destroy the world."<p>"What I shouldn't tell you is that both of you will be on that ship."<p>"Us?" The girls blurted simultaneously.<p>"Yes," the Earthman said, nodding, "for awhile, both of you become quite famous, but then you fade from the public eye."<p>"I guess we would be," Mieu said, "we are both aliens and intelligent robots."<p>"Yes, to a point..." He frowned. "I've said too much already, but I'll tell you one last thing. Mieu, you'll become good friends with my younger brother. You'll know him when you see him, because he looks a lot like me."<p>"Thank you," Mieu said, "for at least a glimpse into our future. There's nothing we can do about right now, anyway."<p>If he's telling the truth. Miun transmitted, to which Mieu responded with the electronic equivalent of a glare.<p>"Indeed," Tim replied. "So, do you want to learn poker? Miun, that's a card game."<p>"Sure," Miun replied, "what do you need?"<p>"A deck of fifty-two printed cards."<p>Miun stood up and went over to the room's computer and motioned for Tim to stand beside her. "Explain to me what you need." The Earthman told her, and Miun's fingers flew over the keyboard in a blur. Before long, Miun handed a stack of freshly printed cards to him. "Will these do?"<p>Tim looked them over and nodded. "Yes, these will do fine. Now, do we have anything we could use as play money? Poker is a betting game."<p>"I've got something," Mieu went into the kitchen and returned with a bag of dry pasta. "This should work."<p>"Alright." Tim began to shuffle the deck. "Give us each about a third of the pasta."<p>"I'll do better than that," Mieu said as she opened the bag, "I'll split it exactly into thirds."<p>The Earthman set the deck on the table. "Miun, go ahead and cut the deck."<p>Miun extended her claws and cut towards the deck, stopping a fraction on an inch above the topmost card.<p>"No, no!" Tim yelled. "You're supposed to take a part of the deck and put it on the bottom, like this!"<p>Miun grinned. "I know. I was just messing with you."<p>"The pasta's divided." Mieu pushed Miun and Tim's piles in front of their respective owners.<p>"Ok, the object of poker is to have the best hand." He explained the rules to the androids and then asked them if they understood. The girls nodded.<br>
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:00 pm

"Let's play!" He dealt the cards.<p>Mieu peeked at her hole cards. It was the best non pair hand: An ace and king of the same suit.<p>"Mieu," Tim said, "it's your turn to bet."<p>Mieu pushed a small pile of pasta into the middle of the table. "Sis, your turn."<p>Miun scowled and tossed in her cards. "I fold."<p>Tim glanced at his cards. "How much did you bet, Mieu?"<p>"Thirty-nine."<p>"I see that and raise you fifty." He guessed at the right amount and pushed that into the center of the table.<p>"That's eleven too many." Miun said.<p>"Thanks." He took back the extra pasta.<p>Why did he raise me? Mieu thought. He has to have a big pair, and my chances of beating that are slim. She threw her cards to the middle of the table.<p>The Earthman smiled and turned over his cards. It was the worst possible starting hand, a seven and a duece. "That, my ladies, is called a bluff. Poker isn't all about math; it's also about how you play each other."<p>Miun threw in the pasta for the next ante. "I was designed to lie, spy, and steal... you could say I live a lie everyday. Let's play!"<p>Mieu had seen how Tim shuffled, so she did the same. Before she could deal, however, the doorbell rang.<p>"That would be the furniture," Miun said as she got up to answer the door. "We'll do the moving, but you'll have to tell us where things go."<p>The Earthman nodded. "Alright."<p>Miun talked to the delivery man for a short while, and then closed the door. "All the stuff has been placed outside your apartment. Now, if you'll come with me, we can move you in."<p>"Can we have lunch first?"<p>"You puny humans and your food," Miun replied, grinning, "but, alright, if that is ok with my sister."<p>"Of course!"
Amwhere

Postby LaconianShot » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:00 pm

Heheheheh. You already know what <i>I</i> think. :)
LaconianShot

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff