My Fanfic, Thread II (New section, 9/20)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Amwhere » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:30 am

I'm going to start a new thread for my fanfic. I've written a lot during the time the board was done, and it would be easy just to start from there.<p>If you haven't read my PS III fanfic (tentatively titled Echoes of the Demon Star) up to this point (or even if you have, as there is a lot of new stuff), you can read it here. Be advised that it's 60 pages long. :) I'll keep it updated every couple weeks or so.<p>My first new section should be up in a while.<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1107077136[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1108833105[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1111655078[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1113074868[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1115110318[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1120949909[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1126070627[/TIME]][/size]<p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1127279569[/TIME]][/size]<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Amwhere on [TIME]1127279578[/TIME]][/size]
Amwhere

Postby LaconianShot » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:12 am

Ho yes. The edit will come. As soon as I slay the foul beast known as exams...
LaconianShot

Postby Amwhere » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:25 am

"Why does she need to change her clothes?" Tim asked, somewhat puzzled. "It's not like anything bad would come of it... right?"<p>"Of course not!" Miun chuckled. "Do you like having wet clothes up against your skin?"<p>"No, but can't you just ignore it or something?"<p>"Yes, we can. However, how would you like viewing a painting but only seeing the quantitative aspects of it?"<p>"That's how it would be to you?"<p>Miun nodded.<p>"So it would be... ignoring a part of your humanity."<p>"I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right."<p>Tim shook his head. "You must sense the world as a rich tapestry that I can only imagine."<p>"Don't sell yourself short," Miun said, "The human senses are not to be taken lightly. Look how much technology it takes to make me fool you."<p>"Good point, I suppose. Still, you have many more senses than I do... what's it like?"<p>Miun shook her head. "How can you explain to looking at something and knowing it's blue? When I look at something, I know that it is not only blue, but at room temperature, how bright it is in ultraviolet, and a slew of other things."<p>"Sort of trying to explain what a banana tastes like."<p>"A what?"<p>"Never mind."<p>Miun smiled. "As for the senses you don't have, how can I explain that? How could I possibly explain having radar, a motion detection system, plus others? It's like trying to explain what "color" is to a blind person. A lot of the data from my sensors is handled by my sub-AI, which is somewhat equivalent to your subconscious. The data is compiled and I just know the results. Unlike your subconscious, however, I can control everything directly if I want to."<p>Tim noticed that Miun had said that without taking a breath. "What are you detecting right now?"<p>Miun looked around. "I know that it's raining at a rate of a quarter of an inch an hour outside, there's 7 other people in the building with us, the air temperature is..."<p>Mieu opened the bathroom door. "Needless to say, she detects alot." The android was dressed in a long white bathrobe that dragged on the ground. "In this, I could almost pass as human." She held up her hands, "Except for these, of course."<p>"Isn't that confusing, though?" Tim asked, "You constantly have to be making sure that you don't react to something a human couldn't know about."<p>"We can do that," Mieu said, sitting down on the bed, "but most of the time we don't use our extended senses."<p>"But isn't that akin to blinding yourself?"<p>Miun laughed. "Of course not! Mieu and my sub-AIs monitor it for us, and let us know of anything remotely wrong. We can check our sensors anytime we want, and we do so often."<p>"What other senses do you have? You mention radar, but what else? Sonar?"<p>Miun nodded. "Yes, plus others. If I were to use my active sensors I could tell you tell you just about everything happening within a couple miles of here."<p>"Then why don't you?"<p>Miun reached across the bed and lightly rapped Tim on the head, "What would you think if you saw a regular human emitting radar pulses?"<p>"But certainly you produce other emissions."<p>"I do," Miun said, "but most of it is what a human should produce. The rest is minimal, and that is cancelled out by one of my onboard systems."<p>Tim shook his head. "That means that it is basically impossible to tell you're an android."<p>"Right," Mieu spoke up, "I can't even detect that she's an android, and I know what I'm looking for." That wasn't entirely true, but would suffice for now.<p>"I hope I'm not prying too deeply," Tim said, suddenly realizing that his question could be taken as intrusive.<p>"Not at all." Miun replied, "It's rather interesting to attempt to my unique point of view into something you'd understand."<p>Tim nodded. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions for me."<p>"We sure do!" Mieu exclaimed. "What is all this stuff?"<p>"This is everything that I brought from Earth," Tim picked up the atlas and handed it to Miun, "except for this. I've never seen that book before."<p>Miun leafed through it. "I'm pretty sure that my superiors will be satisfied now that you are who you say you are."<p>"That's good."<p>"This will be interesting to look through..." Miun said, setting the book aside.<p>"She'll probably give it to me and have me tell her the good parts." Mieu quipped, winking at Tim.<p>Miun smiled. "Probably. What else is in the box?"<p>"Well, there's something that will get Mieu excited," he said, handing Mieu the cookbook.<p>"What's this?" Mieu opened the book and started to read. "It's a cookbook!"<p>"Yes... it's been in my family for a century."<p>"Wow. You wouldn't mind if I borrowed it?"<p>Tim nodded. "You'd probably take better care of it than I would. Besides, you live next door."<p>"True, and thank you. Anything else in here that is interesting?"<p>Tim stood and stretched. "What is this place?"<p>Miun glanced at her sister. "A place where people can live free of Mother Brain."<p>As Miun expected, Mieu exclaimed, "Why would anyone wish to live without Mother Brain's guidance?"<p>Miun had a very good answer for that, but she simply shrugged.<p>"You have to report this place when we get back, sis."<p>Commandant Jager, the nutcase that he is, is firmly in Pyre's faction and probably already knows about this place. Still, there's no need to risk it. "I will," Miun lied.<p>Tim yawned. "OK... what's on TV?"<p>Mieu picked up the remote. "Well..."<br>
Amwhere

Postby LaconianShot » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:24 pm

I like how that turned out. :)
LaconianShot

Postby Coldfury » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:32 am

Gah, sorry I posted on the old one (@) <br>Ahh well, needed a bump anyhow.<p>-Cold
Coldfury

Postby Amwhere » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:09 pm

Thanks. :)
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:11 pm

11:34 PM GST, March 21st, 2076: Secondary Control Room, Alisa III<p>John entered the room that Wren had led him to. Inside was a row of cots, and sitting behind one of them was a woman. "Hi." He said timidly.<p>Mieu had heard him come in, and turned to look at him. He looks a lot like his brother, she thought "Hi, John." She stood up.<p>"You're not human?"<p>Mieu smiled. "No. I'm no more human than Wren is."<p>John sat down on one of the bunks. After a minute of stunned silence, he finally said. "My eleven year old kid brother always writes to me saying how he is going to build an android when he grows up." He chuckled. "If only he could see you."<p>Mieu forced down a smile. "Maybe someday he shall."<p>John smiled. "That would be great."<p>"Then you'll have to leave me with someway to contact you."<p>"Really?" John said, somewhat suprised. "I wasn't serious about Tim meeting you; I'm sure your going to be far too busy with you landing and all."<p>"I can find time," Mieu smiled. "After all, I don't need to sleep."<p>John laughed. "How silly of me. Alright, my address is 259 Birkshire Way, London. You need it written down... oh, right."<p>"You forgot I was an android again," Mieu laughed.<p>"Yeah. You laughed just then. Do you have emotions? Are they real?"<p>Just like his brother... "Yes, I do have emotions. Are they real? I don't know... how can we tell that yours are real?"<p>"Well..."<p>Mieu laughed. "Don't bother trying to answer. Philosophers on my planet had been arguing that point for a long time."<p>"Well, then, can you turned them on and off?"<p>"No... but I can do a pretty good job of ignoring them, though."<p>"Like a Vulcan..." Mieu heard John mutter to himself.<p>Mieu got the reference, as Tim had told her about Star Trek in one of their many chats. "I haven't even introduced myself yet," Mieu said. "My name is Mieu."<p>"Charmed. Can I ask you more questions?"<p>"Of course."<p>"If you're an android, then do you have a master? Surely a android with emotions such as yourself must be free."<p>The android shook her head. "I do have a master, but he let's me do what I want for the most part."<p>"But... you're a thinking, emotional being! That's slavery!"<p>Mieu paused for a moment. "I was built to serve. I've never known anything else."<p>"So? Kids born into slavery don't know anything else either, but it's still wrong."<p>Mieu sighed. "But the natural state of humans is to be free. Cyborgs like myself are servants of humanity."<p>"Surely someone could give you your freedom."<p>"I suppose," Mieu answered, "but I doubt that my master would do that." Although with the way Aron's been acting, he might do just that.<p>"What would you do if you got your freedom, Mieu?"<p>She thought about that for a second. "I'm not sure. After all, we're about to land on a new planet. And, to be honest, I haven't given it any thought."<p>Kara entered the room. "John, you're needed in the main room."<p>John stood. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Mieu."<p>"Likewise." As the android watched John leave, she thought to herself, What am I going to do if I'm set free?<br>
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:04 am

AW 1278, Cave City of New-Camineet, Palma<p>As usual, Tim awoke with a start.<p>"You're awake," Miun said.<p>Blinking to clear his eyes, Tim saw that the androids had setup his chessboard in the corner of the room and were about to start a new game. "No, no," He said, groggly getting out of bed, "You've got it all wrong. The piece you're using as the rook is the bishop, and vice-versa."<p>"Oh," Mieu corrected the board. "We've played 120 games this way. We could have played more, but we'd risk waking you up."<p>"Well," Tim was feeling somewhat more awake now, "Who's winning?"<p>"It's a tie," Miun replied. "Whomever goes first wins."<p>"When your opponent makes no mistakes, it's hard to win."<p>"Yeah," Mieu said. "It looks like this will be our last game.. if you don't mind, that is."<p>"No, not at all, as long as there as large pot of coffee on the way."<p>Miun smiled. "It's already on it's way."<p>"How... no, I won't ask."<p>"Good," Miun said. "Saves me from answering."<p>"Shall we begin, sis?" Mieu said. "It's your turn to go first."<p>Tim attempted to follow the game the best he could, but he had barely enough time to register one move before the girls made another. Suddenly, the androids stopped. It took Tim a second to realize that the game had ended in a draw.<p>Miun rubbed her chin. "Interesting, sis. Instead of playing to win, you played for the draw."<p>"It worked, didn't it?"<p>"Well yes, but why did you do that?"<p>"I didn't want you to have the pleasure of rubbing it in."<p>Miun laughed. "I wouldn't do that... well... maybe a little. We should put this away, the food's here."<p>On cue, there was a rap at the door. Tim got up and anwsered it.<p>"Breakfast, sir," A cyborg handed Tim a heavy tray.<p>Unsure how to respond, Tim replied, "Thank you."<p>"You are welcome, sir." The cyborg turned and walked off.<p>Tim set the tray on the bed and lifted off the cover, revealing a pile of pasteries and a large pot of coffee. "That's a lot of food."<p>Miun took a pastery. "Enough for all of us."<p>Tim nodded. "What going to happen after we're done eating?"<p>"What else?" Miun said, "We're going back to Techna."<p>"Simple enough," Tim had finished his first cup of coffee and was feeling somewhat alive now.<p>Shortly after they had finished with their breakfast, a knock at the door brought them the company of Zyram and Miya. Miun thanked Zyram for his hospitality. "Good luck to you, Miun," Zyram said, shaking her hand, "I hope to see you again."<p>"Thank you," Miun replied. "I hope so too."<p>"Mieu, Tim," Zyram nodded at them, "I'm sorry for any trouble we've caused."<p>Miya and Miun hugged each other, and Mieu could hear them talking to each other, but she couldn't make out what they were saying.
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:27 pm

Soon, the group was back on the highway heading back towards the city. "Sis," Mieu said, "what did you say to Miya?"<p>"Nothing," Miun replied.<p>"But, I heard..."<p>"It was nothing more than a goodbye, sis," Miun said firmly, "alright?"<p>"Alright."<p>Tim hadn't realize he had nodded off until he felt someone shaking his leg. "I'm awake," he said groggily.<p>"We're back," Miun said.<p>They got out and entered the girl's apartment. Tim sat down heavily on the couch. "Home sweet home."<p>"Agreed, but this isn't your home, Tim," Mieu said with a sly smile.<p>Miun went into her room and sprawled herself out on the bed. As she lay there, though, she wondered why she had done that in the first place. After all, she couldn't become tired, and any position for her was as comfortable as any other. Doesn't matter, she thought.<p>The android connected to the apartment's computer and ran the encryption program she had secretly installed on it. Now ensured that her communications couldn't be eavesdropped, she ordered the computer to dial General Pyre's office.<p>"This is General Pyre's office," the woman/cyborg (Miun couldn't prove it either way) answered, "All inquires for the defense for..."<p>"This is Colonel Rydori."<p>"Understood, ma'am. The general has been expecting you, and will be with you in a minute."<p>Exactly a minute later, Pyre said in his warm and deep voice, "Greetings, Miun."<p>"Hello, sir."<p>"So Zyram tells me that you've stumbled upon his enclave."<p>"Yes, sir"<p>"I figured you might after Zy told me that they found an old box."<p>"Why didn't you tell me, sir?"<p>"New-Camineet needs to be kept secret as long as possible."<p>"You don't trust me, sir?"<p>"You are one of my most trusted officers, Miun. I want you at my side, but right now that would cause trouble."<p>"Then why didn't you tell me, sir?"<p>"Consider it a test, my dear android."<p>"Did I pass?"<p>"Of course," Pyre chuckled, "I would be worried if you hadn't."<p>"Thank you, sir."<p>"Did the box contain proof that the Earthman is telling the truth?"<p>"Yes sir, beyond a doubt."<p>"Good. You are still to protect him, then."<p>"Consider it done, sir. Any news of the folk upstairs?"<p>"Not a peep."<p>"Good." Miun replied. "Anything else, sir?"<p>"No, Miun, except for you'll be getting a mission from Jager in a about a week."<p>"Jager..." Miun muttered.<p>"Look, Miun. Jager may be a nutcase, but he is loyal to the cause... and, somehow, he's somewhat of a local hero." Pyre sighed. "I'll see what I can do, but no promises."<p>"That's all I can ask, sir."<p>"Good work out here, Miun. Xvar Toris."<p>"Xvar Toris, sir." Xvar Toris was an archaic Palman phrase that meant "Victory as one." Pyre hung up.<p>Miun went back into the living room and noticed that Tim had gone back to his apartment. "So," Mieu asked, "Where'd you call this time?"<p>Miun had expected this; Mieu could easily detected the communication between Miun and the computer, even if she couldn't read it. "No one important, why?"<p>"Why did you encrypt your traffic, then?"<p>"Maybe I wanted a little privacy?"<p>"Humph," Mieu snorted. "Whatever."<p>"Trust me, Mieu, it was nothing."<p>"I always trust you, Miun. I just don't trust the people who order you around,"<p>You'd be so mad at me, Mieu, if you knew the truth... "Yeah."<p>"Anyway," Mieu said, figured that Miun couldn't tell her the truth, no matter how much she bugged her, "have you reported the cave already?"<p>"No, and I won't."<p>"Why?" Mieu replied, somewhat puzzled. "It's a large group of rebels right off the road!"<p>"Mieu, there's more to this group than you think."<p>"You and your secrets!" Mieu exclaimed, then continued calmly, "It's not your fault that you can't tell me..."<p>I really, really want to tell you, sis, but not yet... "You're just going to have to trust me."<p>"Alright."<p>"Good. I've got to leave now. I'll be back in a bit."<p>"Why? We've just got back!"<p>"I've got a date tonight. I've got to go shopping!"
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:33 pm

I've updated the HTML copy for your reading pleasure, too.<p>(Other than Laconian and Siren, is anyone else reading this?)
Amwhere

Postby Malakai » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:20 pm

I read it. It's good work so far. Keep it up.
Malakai

Postby Siren » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:51 pm

Thank-you, Amwhere. I'm enjoying the fic...<p>Say, do you think we could get the Echoes of the Demon Star disussion group back up? We could put a plug in for it at the General Discussion.
Siren

Postby Amwhere » Tue May 03, 2005 8:51 am

March 22nd, 2076: Secondary Control Room, Alisa III<p>Kara peeked into the bunkroom. "Mieu, Aron wants to see you."<p>Mieu sighed softly. She didn't care whether or not Kara heard it. "Fine." The android went into the control room and found Aron pacing back and forth.<p>"Why did my father become leader, and not me? Who gave that Earthman the right to choose who leads us!" Aron pointed at himself, "I'm the one who defeated Dark Force, I'm the one who that saved us all, and I'm the one that should lead on the new world!"<p>"Shut up, you windbag." Kara had stolen the words out of both Mieu and Laya's mouths, "Look around you. By your logic, this new colony should have four rulers."<p>Aron laughed. "Three leaders, you mean. Mieu doesn't count."<p>Kara tossed Aron a glare that could have melted Laconia. "That's what you say. Even not counting Mieu, Laya and I did as much work as you did."<p>"Who triggered Megido?" The prince retorted with a look of triumph on his face. "Just who did?"<p>Kara was more that up to the task of popping Aron's balloon. "Who got us out of there when you did, hmmm? Who is the reason we can argue right now?"<p>"What's so special about a computer acting according to it's program?"<p>Anger flashed across Kara's face. "You don't get it, and you never have! Anyway, she's here now, so you might as well tell her what to do."<p>"Fine, fine. Mieu, I want you to go to Aridia and Landen and being their people here. Since Wren can fly, he'll be doing the rest. Use any means necessary to get them here." Aron smiled. "You think your simple brain can handle that?"<p>Mieu nodded.<p>"Well then, get to it!"<p>"Yes, my prince." Mieu left the control room and made her way through the corridors to the vehicle holding area. Once, the large warehouse held vehicles of all descriptions, but now only a few were left. The android went to the largest vehicle: a land rover. This particular model- the Sand Rover EF10- was a cargo hauler fitted with large balloon tires so it could make it's way through desert sands.<p>Mieu climbed into the cab and, using access codes that the human passengers of the Alisa III had long forgotten, started the engine. After ensuring that the vehicle was in good condition, Mieu drove it down the long tunnel to the cargo loading area.<p>"Greetings." A disembodied voice called out when Mieu drove on to the loading platform. "Welcome to cargo loading area 6E. Please, say your access code now."<p>"Robot-Cyborg-Android."<p>"Clearance granted. Vehicle recognized. What are you orders?"<p>Soon, the sand rover was loaded with food, water, and all the other supplies that the people she would be uprooting would need to reach the Landen hanger. Mieu drove until she reached the elevator that would take her to the surface of Aridia.<p>A hot, sand laden wind buffeted the sand rover as soon as the large clamshell doors opened. Even with her sensors, Mieu didn't dare drive faster than a crawl. This wind must be because the ship's computer transferring atmosphere to the more inhabited areas of the ship. The android uplinked to the ships computer and found this to be the case. The storm finally died down an hour later, after Mieu had only drove a half mile.<br>
Amwhere

Postby Coldfury » Sun May 29, 2005 12:31 am

Where's an update?? Come on I'm fiendin' here!
Coldfury

Postby Amwhere » Sun May 29, 2005 8:40 am

Hold yer pants on!<p>(I have a thing called school, and it's finals week. :))
Amwhere

Next

Return to Fan stuff