ADV Shot down!

Any discussions related to anime/manga that you wish to share, or curious to know

ADV Shot down!

Postby Lord Khyron » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:53 pm

According to this article..<p>http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6949<p>Now follow up with this..<p>http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6953<p>And you come to the conclusion..<p>ADV can't do it!<p>The original SDF:M series, all 36 eps has been dubbed as Robotechs MAcross Saga. HG owns the legal rights to everything Macross overseas.<p>The original japanese dialogue in SDF:M is trash. The original creators even quoted the english dialogue to be better.<p>Greatness will stand! It won't be replaced by inferior Voice Actors or dubbing. <p>I'm happy.. Khyron's voice will still be Khyron's!
Lord Khyron

ADV Shot down!

Postby gm2987 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:47 am

any anime that gets saved from ADV is a godsend.<p>Why did FMP have to get licened by them >.<
gm2987

ADV Shot down!

Postby Tails99 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:25 pm

What's ADV? And what's so bad about them?<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Tails99 on [TIME]1121009150[/TIME]][/size]
Tails99

ADV Shot down!

Postby GroG » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:25 am

You are not the only one happy for that Lord Khyron :) Imagine Roy's voice being replaced by a sissy-sounding one !
GroG

ADV Shot down!

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:11 am

Oh my god.. x.x ShadowChronicnesnews.com had a interview with GReg Snegoff, Voice of Khyron/Scott Bernard and he said that back when they were putting Robotech together, the japanese translations were CRAP. So therefore, they wrote froms cratch to a blind copy and the japanese told HG that the Robotech stories, were better than the japanese..<p>I'll get the exact quote.<p>ADV won't be able to dub it ^^
Lord Khyron

ADV Shot down!

Postby Tails99 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:41 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Tails99</i><p>What's ADV? And what's so bad about them?<p>[size=small][Edit by Tails99 on [TIME]1121009150[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p>Is anyone gonna answer my question?
Tails99

ADV Shot down!

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:09 am

ADv is one of the main DVD releasing companies..<p>Came long after Centralparkmecia/MangaCorps/US Manga/MAnga. <p>Geneon is another one, it used to be pioneer until they merged with someone. <p>
Lord Khyron

ADV Shot down!

Postby Tails99 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 pm

Never heard of them. I don't really watch Anime off t.v.<p>Yea, 300th post.
Tails99

ADV Shot down!

Postby Isaha78Namso » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:19 pm

All right Tails99. Animation Digital Vision is known for having gotten the rights recently for some of the older shows such as Aura Battler Dunbine, Gatchaman, Mazinkaiser, Monster Rancher, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross*, Genesis Climber Mospeada*, Martian Successor Nadesico, Sakura Wars and Neon Genesis Evangelion.<br>They like most companies got the rights by kissing the right butts for the right amount of cash.<p>As for them being the devils advocate ((which is my interpretation gm2987 remark)) I have to disagree with him. I found some of Manga's work to have been off char when it came to dubbing and translating of their DVDs and VHS tapes. Hell, I’ve heard more complaints from other sites about Manga then any other Anime company. But the main reason I am defending ADV is because until last year when some one finally opened a Best Buy in my town you hade to travel 32 miles for a decent selection of all companies or go on line. The most tat got distributed to my town was ADV with a sprinkling of other companies <p>As for SDF: M having been a bad show I want to ask how there has been so many sequels to it if the show was so bad in its original format. Hell it could just be that twenty five years makes it look silly to us as Scooby Dooby Doo or some other 70’s show looks to the people in Japan seeing it for the first time dubbed instead of translated<p>* Sequels to SDF:M. Used with SDF:M to make Robotech.
Isaha78Namso

ADV Shot down!

Postby Lord Khyron » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:07 am

I don't know what the hell you're smoking..<p>But SDC:SC was not a sequel to the original macross. Neither was Mospeada. They were stand alone series. <p>Also, Macross 2 and Plus are direct sequels to Do you Remember love.. For the main fact of the SDF-1's arms.<p>SDF:M has the original AC arms, not the ARMD ones. At the end of Macross, the earth is to devastated to pick up a 3000 meter ship in robot mode, reattach new arms in GRAVITY and retrofit the whole damn thing to match 2 and plus.<p>Also, Megaroad is only a Flashback 2012 item, which is a music video combining footage from DYRL with SDF:M. <p>Here, you want proof the robotech was better than the japanese in 1985? I'll link you to a interview with one of the 4 script writers, Greg Snegoff.<p>The interview:<p>http://www.shadowchroniclesnews.com/snegoff.html<p>Here is the except. Read closely.<p> <blockquote><br>SCN: In regards to the way you translated the original Japanese dialogue, were you given the original scripts or translations? How close did you choose to stay to the original Japanese dialogue? <p> <p>GS: This is not going to make hardcore anime’ fans happy but frankly the original Japanese dialogue was not up to our standards. In fact, afterwards, we received compliments from the Japanese who thought our dialogue and stories were better than the original. Things have changed since then but the animators tended to pay far more attention to visual aspects than to sound, including dialogue. <p></blockquote> <p>Robotech was far better than the original series. Trust me, I've seen the other 2. <p>Also.. The interview goes on to explain how they did such a monumental undertaking in 7 months, and how they couldn't find writers, because of the crappyness of the scifi writers at the time. The japanese couldn't even translate a damn thing right! So they wrote to SILENT copy. It matches the original SDF:M dialogue almost eerily. <p>P.S. The reason ADV got the rights was because they put out the Robotech DVD's. They also did the remastered ones of the original series, since HG held those rights. HG won't let ADV redub something already dubbed, nor resub it, cause then AnimEgo's sub was a waste of money. <br><p>[size=small][Edit by Lord Khyron on [TIME]1122163733[/TIME]][/size]
Lord Khyron

Postby MrKite » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:25 am

ADV was the best. And now that they're gone, all we have left are those whores Bandai and FUNimation, and they did not impress me in the same way that ADV did (I admit, I am a huge Gundam Wing fan though). Most of all my favorite voice actors were employed by ADV, such as Chris Patton, Luci Christian, Greg Ayres, Tiffany Grant, Jessica Boone, Mark X. Laskowski (I even know this guy a little bit. I don't know him personally, but I talk to him on IM sometimes), and Illich Guardiola just to name a few. I was not familiar with the name ADV until I saw Martian Successor Nadesico in 2001, but it was not the first ADV series I saw footage from. I'm going to miss ADV, they've become the Orion Pictures of US-released anime.
MrKite
Locusta
Locusta

Return to Anime / Manga