ill intent's manga

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

ill intent's manga

Postby wolfhunt » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:33 am

does any1 know if Ill intent will make another chapter to his phantasy star2 manga?
wolfhunt
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Missagh » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:12 am

His site hasnt had any updates for a great while now. But hopefully we will see something coming soon. One advice I would give is to contact him to remind him of that there are still many fans of his work
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:23 am

It will never be finished.

Simple fact: He doesn't get paid to do it.

What motivation is there to finish? To waste time to make more?

He could spend the time on a job, college or IRL.

Don't expect a new chapter anytime soon because NO one does things quickly for free. I doubt the fans of his would donate money to him so he could work on it.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:44 am

Lord Khyron wrote:What motivation is there to finish? To waste time to make more?

The exact same motvation that makes us draw fanart, write fanfiction and make fangames of course... We love the games and want to express it. Never underestimate that.

Still, last time I asked about it he confirmed that Khyron is essentially right, he has to focus on what can actually generate profit. Andrew has also had problems with computer crashes and various other things, but on the whole money or no money is what it comes down to. More specifically he is working on an original comic called Lucian Fallen, of which he has published six issues so far. Meanwhile his PS2 manga has been put on hold indefinitely, but I don't think he's given it up entirely. It's just waaay down the line...

And about donations... He doesn't want that, as it could be interpreted as making profit from a brand owned by Sega without their permission. To bad...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:17 pm

Don't expect a new chapter anytime soon because NO one does things quickly for free.

Most of the open-source community disagrees with you.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby yumpoptart » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:59 pm

i hope that one day he makes more of the manga too, but it really is a great task to draw a comic. i've drawn some manga before, and at the time i was being paid and i had deadlines and i still had a difficult time with it. especially since he's only doing it as a hobby, it's probably unlikely he'd go back to it at this point.

still, i think Missagh has a point. if enough people emailed him expressing interest, he may feel compelled to go back and do more with it.

i hadn't touched my translation of the Drama CD for over a year, but all of a sudden I received a couple of emails, and an offer to help. it made me feel like it was worth doing again and now i'm trying to be frequent with my updates. it makes me feel good that people are actually taking the time to look at it. so it might be the same with Ill Intent..

even if you're doing something for free, to know that people appreciate it and want to see it does make it pretty worthwhile.
http://pixelkiss.com/ps - PhanTranslations (featuring the Memorial Drama CD, Futabasha Adventure Book and SPEC manga!)
yumpoptart
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Edless » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:00 pm

I love that link and still go on that site from time to time to see if I could be lucky and find a new chapter (the same way I got back on pscave)

If not a hole manga, I would love to see some fan arts of his or some random images, sketches or representation of some moments in the game; for example, the fight with Army eyes or a first glance at neifirst.
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby wolfhunt » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Missagh wrote:One advice I would give is to contact him to remind him of that there are still many fans of his work

does any1 know where to contact him?
wolfhunt
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby skymandr » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:23 pm

I havn't tried for over a year, but his email (available on the page) worked then and should still work fine. He also keeps a Livejournal in which you could leave comments should all else fail...

His comment then was that he'd have to put the series on indefinite hold. Reluctantly however, since he apparently "wasted most of '99 studying the game then scripting and storyboarding the whole thing". He also said that he's had money-offers from fans, but turned them down since accepting it would be legally quite fishy and might not please SEGA...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby shellpresto » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 am

Granted, Khyron is right -- part of it is money. At some point bills take precedence over love of a series. But part of it is also feedback. It doesn't matter how many hits something gets, if people aren't emailing you about it, if you don't hear about it, then it's hard to keep caring. At some point you start to wonder if people care. This is why there's so few phancomics as opposed to say, legend of zelda or final fantasy. Because there may only be 10 people who care enough to leave a comment or encourage you as opposed to 100 with other fandoms.

So, yeah, emailing him would probably help. So would buying an issue of his original comic, cos he's gonna be most proud of that. Really, his PSII comic was probably a warm-up for his real work, and anyone who really considers themself his fan should check out his real work. that's why he was drawing in the first place. And if he has appreciative, real fans he may pick up his phan comic again. Of course, if you really like his original stuff, maybe you won't want him to stop working on that.

That's another artist's interpretation. Although I do have to say it was sad to see Joel Fagin's comic 'LIke the Wind' flop after Conversations in Elsydeon did so well. It's hard for those comic artists. They feel unappreciated if you only like their fanart.
shellpresto
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:13 pm

Although I do have to say it was sad to see Joel Fagin's comic 'LIke the Wind' flop after Conversations in Elsydeon did so well.

It flopped? Didn't know that. He seems to have disappeared from the Internet, too, as I sent him an e-mail a half year ago, and never got a reply.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby shellpresto » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:58 am

Joel's new comic didn't get half the response Conversations did. When I talked to him, he said it was really discouraging. But yeah, he has since fallen off the face of the Internet.
shellpresto
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby ill-intent » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:36 pm

Oooh, the ol' manga. Heh, actually I do get a few emails asking about what I'm doing with that. (not often, but 1 every month or so) Officially, it's on indefinite hold. I just don't have the free time. I'm doing my own series(non-PS), but to support the money theory, that one is kind of helping pay the bills so it gets priority. I can't charge for the PSII one as I don't have official rights from Sega. (and I have had people offering donations) I would try to work on it if I could get help doing the shading (colouring?) part as that's the real time filler. But it'd have to be free and I know better than to start begging for that kind of commitment from anyone with no payoff.

As for my site, yeah it's in total overhaul mode. And even that got delayed due to my unfortunate run with illness (Last Christmas, must've been REALLY bad cuz Santa gave me cancer O_O). I'm good, now but it was over half a year lost. >_<

There you have it. My "whatever happened to..." bit.
ill-intent
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:39 pm

You had cancer? That blows.

Sorry you had that, man.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:04 pm

Well technically.. Santa gave him COAL because he was a aad boy not finishing the manga and making ps fans cry..

The coal them gave him Mesothelioma..

Bad Santa!
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Next

Return to Fan stuff