Vintage RPG Maker

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Vintage RPG Maker

Postby Abominae » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Before I make my entry, let me give a bit of a backstory to this.

A few years ago, I was working on an entirely original game (meaning, it sucked) using the RPG Maker 2 for the SNES (with limited translation). I kept getting lost so I decided I'd make a manual (it's a method I use to help myself remember large portions of information). My computer bit the almighty bucket and so did all the information I had on it, including all my sprite convertions and edits (I had some great edits of a Zero <Megaman X> character)

So, to help those who're unfamiliar with all the BS jargon of today's RPG Maker programs, I'm going to go back and redo that manual and make a PS3 Prequel using this manual (so you know it work. I'll even explain the entire process here on PSCaves so you can check the manual yourself)

So, any of you who have game idea's but can't quite get the hang of the more updated and detailed RPG Maker programs... there's hope for you yet! And if your game is really good, Some of us just might feel compelled to give it a face-lift into a more recent generation.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

At the time I was doing all this, I hadn't seen a single attempt to make such a Manual, nor do I suspect that has changed (save my own effort). However, if anyone HAS seen a manual to that "Game", let me know so I can save myself the trouble, rip his off, and fix all his mistakes. And if there is a manual to this out there, I can guarantee there will be mistakes.
Abominae

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Pfft.. I was using Rpgmaker 95 long ago before you Xp users..

95 was even more limited so HA!

Kenji Hack 75% translation baby! Not the Don Miguel 100% one.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Abominae » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:52 pm

Lol, what?

The RPG maker I'm talking about was made for the Nintendo Famicon. There was no US release of it.

Also, I don't know what RPG maker 95 is. For all I know, it could be the one I'm mentioning.

But can you imagine it? An RPG maker for the SNES? it came with a prebuilt game that was damn near impossible to decifer. Screw the threads, we'd need a whole section dedicated to it. Trust me, I managed to get 20 minutes into the game before I got my ass handed to me for god knows what cause.
Abominae

Postby Lord Khyron » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:56 am

Rpgmaker on the SNES is the port of Rpgmaker 95.

Only 4 chip sets? Near impossible to switch out chipsets..

Just to a search for some RPG95 sites.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby mikepjr » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:25 am

Actualy i have both of them for the SNES, Super Dante RPG Maker 1 and 2.

And neither of them are anything like 95.. guess i need to get some screen shots of it.

The below pics are from part 1 on the snes.

The below pics from here are from part 2 on the snes.

And here is the only screen shot i felt like taking of RM95 as i just can not stand to use it to begin with.

Notice the battle systems in the 2 SNES RPG Makers are the same.. and i mean exactly the same.

I did not feel like setting up a battle for RPG Maker 95, it is just to anoying for me to use.. but i have seen it in action and it is nothing like the 2 SNES RPG Maker battle systems.

RPG Maker 3... the real RPG Maker 3 came out in japan on the PS1 and was never released in the US.... later the Japanese version of RPG Maker 4 was released in the US translated and titled as simply RPG Maker for the PS1.

At the same time these were coming out.. PC owners in japan got the PC versions... RPG Maker 95.. then 2000... then 2003.. then XP and now the latest one.. VX.

Part 5 of the consol RPG makers came to the US as RPG Maker 2 for the PS2... then if im not mistaken.. RPG Maker 6 came here as part 3 for the PS2.

And let us not forget fighter maker and Strategy RPG Maker.

If im forgetting one.. tell me please..
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lord Khyron » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:14 pm

I never found a translated version of strategy maker or fighter maker ;.;

But this was RPG95...

http://www.bahamut-world.de/mediac/400_ ... /RPG95.JPG
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby mikepjr » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:41 am

Yes, that is 95 and the famicom RPG Makers are not ports is the point i wanted to make.
95 and the super famicom ones are not the same in any way.. both were built from the ground up, the only time they have not built an RPG Maker from the ground up was when they made 2K3.. which was just and upgraded version of 2K or.. 2000.

I have fighter maker translated and strategy translated.
If you want them ill point you to a download.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lord Khyron » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Sure. Send me a link. I've wanted to play with those programs since 97.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby mikepjr » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:14 pm

Never mind, i just got an IM saying not to post anything.. and i see no sence in sending the links privatly.. if i post the links i want it to be so more then just one person here gets any use out of it....
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lord Khyron » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:01 pm

They are abandonware. Perfectly Legal to show the link for.

Hell, Chipsets and such shouldn't be posted either then.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Abominae » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:06 pm

I'll be inquiring about those as soon as I get my PC in order.

Also, I do remember seeing an RPG maker for the PS2 quite a while back... as in, around the time the PS2 was released.

But if no one is interested in this Dante's RPG Maker 2 thing, I'm just going to drop the project. I think it's a pretty safe bet since everyone here seems to know quite a bit more about more recent RPG Makers than what it would require to use with this particular one.

Even if no one is interested... it's okay. I realized I would have to make a few adjustments that I would just as soon not make. Including explaining why the final line-up includes 4 out of the 5 people associated with the demise of DF in this PS3 prequel
Abominae

Postby Seizaku » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Lord Khyron wrote:They are abandonware. Perfectly Legal to show the link for.

Hell, Chipsets and such shouldn't be posted either then.

Such circumstances are not predicted in international copyright law, in any given situation per current legislation if anything becomes 'abandonware' it will be 70 years after the creator or current copyright holder (if its a company such as ASCII or Enterbrain in the case of RPG Maker) dies or go bankrupt (or they decide to release content in public domain).

In other words, a abandonware doesn't exist and is just a term people made to relieve the meaning of piracy, like the 'private server' thing or 'backup' for pirated game copies. And if anything becomes 'abandonware' it will be completely outdated and far from useful at all.
"This seemingly minor event sets an epic adventure in motion...." ~ Phantasy Star III
Seizaku
Locusta
Locusta

Postby mikepjr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:09 pm

I dont know about all that.. i just know that these are not available to buy in english anywhere.. and i can not even find them to buy in japanese either.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Seizaku » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:05 pm

mikepjr wrote:I dont know about all that.. i just know that these are not available to buy in english anywhere.. and i can not even find them to buy in japanese either.

Even if you can or cannot buy, as long the producer don't release it on public domain then its not abandoned. They can well get those softwares, pack them and release in the future (kinda like Sega did with PS Collection).

And by international copyright laws it applies either if its or not available in english, or in the western world (and the reverse applies either). What it means is, even if its not sold anymore, sharing pirated versions of things is not right by the law (even if people don't care and/or respect this).
"This seemingly minor event sets an epic adventure in motion...." ~ Phantasy Star III
Seizaku
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Mmm.. Well then according to Sei, bad news for importers or translators.

According to his beliefs, owning games or programs that will NEVER see a US release is bad. Very bad!

You hear that? Patches for japanese games in english is wrong too!

I suppose this US law doesn't matter either?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/23/us-co ... re-rights/

Well Seizaku, you'd better stop sharing sprites and info to people using "Illegal" software you know.

Oh, when will the hypocrisy end!

This is all I have to say and ever will.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Next

Return to Fan stuff