Another complete fan game, Kyra's Quest

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Another complete fan game, Kyra's Quest

Postby Danny » Mon May 05, 2008 5:13 am

I've successfully completed another fan game using RPG Maker 2000. As you may have guessed, this game also takes place roughly one year before PSIV. I needed to again make it one year before PSIV since Kyra would have been too young if I would have set it back any more then that. I guess I should give a short description about the game now.

This game takes place in AW2283, roughly a year before Phantasy Star IV. You play as Kyra who along with her friend Kalsu try and find out what is causing a strange illness on a small island called the Cat's Claw. This minor mission turns into a more important one as they discover an evil entity which is changing Dezolis's climate to be even colder using an abandoned Climate Control Center which still is operational. This fan game also starts with a small intro explaining a little of Algo's past and ending with a "to be continued" (refering to PSIV).

I think that should do it. As with my first fan game, I've also added a readme and walkthrough .txt file that can be opened in Notepad. I've played through this game three times to elimate any bugs and errors that were left but there may still be some, so if you find any, please report them here.

I'm also open to any constructive critism so please don't hold back any thoughts or ideas on this game, thanks. What else can I say...? Well one thing is that this fan game is slightly longer than my first and has therefore been worked harder on. I hope you enjoy it. I'll send the game to BenoitRen now so you should all be able to play it soon.
Run for your lives! It's the huge sandworm that never reaches you!
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon May 05, 2008 11:56 pm

I've given it a spin. The monsters around the Esper Mansion seem fair, even though they give a lot of EXP. I levelled up to LV 5 before embarking on the ship, as I got owned by monsters earlier on the island. But levelling up barely increases statistics, and the monsters wipe the floor with you in 2 hits. :(

Uploaded Kyra's Quest.

So here are my suggestions on improving the game:
-Rebalance the monsters
-Make level-ups matter
-Don't give out too much EXP
-Proof-read dialogue, I've seen errors here and there. Some more commas for flow would be good too.
-The port is confusing. You can't tell that you have to get out through the right, and then you're suddenly in the field, instead of the town that is right next to it.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue May 06, 2008 5:42 am

Wouldn't it be great if we could get every game designer who releases a game to change to be easier for the player?

Pfft.. I'll take hard over easy anyday.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Danny » Tue May 06, 2008 7:18 am

Level ups do matter. The only reason you got beaten by the Cats' Claw bio-monsters is that you didn't level up enough. You have to be around level 8 there, besides you can kill them fast to foi. Not to mention that you also probably didn't buy any new equipment in Firgard just north of Hanz. Don't forget to equip the Hanz crests on Kyra and Kalsu.

You also gain levels fast to counter the low stats. It evens it out. Kyra and Kalsu are supposed to have low attack and defence since they're tech users. The third character is the strong guy. Also, editing stats is very hard in RM2K. There's only four options: Low, medium, excellant and genius. When I selected medium, the stats went way to high so I had to stick with low. I used the highest low stat settings as possible.

As for the port, leaving it teleports you straight to the world map to save time. Imagine how annoying it would be to have to travel two different maps just to exit to the world map. It's silly and would waste a lot of time. Besides, it not hard to take one step outside the world map to enter the town. :wink:

Dialogue errors? I haven't seen any and comas aren't such important things to mention. Imagine if the text would be like this: "Lets, go, to, the inn, okay?" Not very pretty, no? Besides, Raja's Adventures had a lot more typos and error mistakes that no one cared about. Such as "Suth Relm" instead of "South Relm." Heck, even professional games have them! Ever played Breath of Fire 2? Prepare to gasp when you do...

So that's about it... Techs and items make this game easy. Fighting meele with tech characters is not a very good idea. You'll see how easy the game is once you get the third character. Not to mention the fourth which easily wipes the floor with any boss and enemy. Even my sister beat my fan game and she sucks bad at RPGs. If it's THAT annoying, I guess I could change a few things...
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue May 06, 2008 11:09 am

Lord Khyron wrote:Wouldn't it be great if we could get every game designer who releases a game to change to be easier for the player?

Pfft.. I'll take hard over easy anyday.

Me too, but cheaply hard? No. Try it yourself before using rhetoric.
Danny wrote:Not to mention that you also probably didn't buy any new equipment in Firgard just north of Hanz. Don't forget to equip the Hanz crests on Kyra and Kalsu.

The problem is that first you have to get to Firgard. And I did equip the crests.
Imagine how annoying it would be to have to travel two different maps just to exit to the world map.

But you have to visit the town first either way.
Dialogue errors? I haven't seen any and comas aren't such important things to mention. Imagine if the text would be like this: "Lets, go, to, the inn, okay?" Not very pretty, no?

I've seen a fair share of them. Like "your" instead of "you're". As for commas, your example is extreme.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Example 5
Besides, Raja's Adventures had a lot more typos and error mistakes that no one cared about. Such as "Suth Relm" instead of "South Relm." Heck, even professional games have them! Ever played Breath of Fire 2? Prepare to gasp when you do...

I cared! But the authors don't master English as well as you or me.

I know commercial games have them, but not as many.

Also, now that I've read the book, I have one more criticism. I already raised my eyebrow when Kyra prayed to the Great Light. The Espers aren't supposed to know about Algol's genesis! That was the entire point of Rykros in PSIV.
BenoitRen

Postby rodrigo » Tue May 06, 2008 4:49 pm

Danny

why didn't you call your games grys' adventure and kyra's adventure? Like all the ps2 adventures and raja and chaz adventure....

I've played grys' quest. good job. I'll check kyra's quest later
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Danny » Tue May 06, 2008 9:38 pm

BenoitRen wrote:Also, now that I've read the book, I have one more criticism. I already raised my eyebrow when Kyra prayed to the Great Light. The Espers aren't supposed to know about Algol's genesis! That was the entire point of Rykros in PSIV.

Shoot... I thought they did. Editing that part out would take a lot of effort since half the Espers mention it, it's part of the intro and it is also mentioned later in the game. I guess I'll look over the game again to fix those grammar mistakes and other things I may find. If I change enough things, I'll re-send you the game.

Rodrigo wrote:Danny

why didn't you call your games grys' adventure and kyra's adventure? Like all the ps2 adventures and raja and chaz adventure....

I've played grys' quest. good job. I'll check kyra's quest later

I guess I should have but the main reason I didn't is because the characters weren't really on an adventure. Kyra had a mission where as Grya took on the important task of checking out Zio's cult. Quest matched better then adventured but I probably should have used adventure instead. Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. :)

BenoitRen wrote:The problem is that first you have to get to Firgard. And I did equip the crests.

But Firgard is just north of Hanz... It's easy to get there, you'll most likely not even end up in a random encounter.
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed May 07, 2008 4:14 am

I have one more criticism. I already raised my eyebrow when Kyra prayed to the Great Light. The Espers aren't supposed to know about Algol's genesis! That was the entire point of Rykros in PSIV.

According to the compendium LUTZ KNEW

RUNE: Rykros is at the end of the light!

RUNE: This is becoming a sticky situation. Chaz, we've got to hurry
to Rykros!

RUNE: I bet the followers of The Darkness are already aware of the way
to Rykros through Dark Force. They're probably on their way
there even as we speak!

RUNE: The Aero-Prism shows the way when Rykros returns... So this is
what they mean by 'return!'

Please.. Lutz KNEW of Rykros. Rune was just playing stupid because CHAZ had to be told by Le Roof and DECIDE for himself. That was the whole damn point!

Le Roof wanted Chaz to fight, Chaz refused. Do you really think if Rune told him everything and ordered that he would do it?

Please.. Rune's only mission is to help out and let CHAZ decide for himself. Rune wouldn't even reveal complete details about what happened to Lashiec.

The compendium will even back up that Lutz knew. So Ha.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Wed May 07, 2008 9:42 am

The Compendium says that Lutz knew about a seal weakening every 1000 years. Nothing more. Rune playing stupid? You've got to be kidding.
BenoitRen

Postby BenoitRen » Thu May 08, 2008 10:48 pm

I finished it earlier today. Weird game. You visit a lot of places that didn't appear in PSIV.

I suggest that for your next fan game you improve the interior of houses. Right now they're barricaded maps with regular RPG Maker tilesets. They're also often quite big.
BenoitRen

Postby Danny » Fri May 09, 2008 6:03 am

BenoitRen wrote:I finished it earlier today. Weird game. You visit a lot of places that didn't appear in PSIV.

At first I wanted to use known PSIV places but then I thought that I should do something a little more original. Motavia had islands that you could explore in PSIV but Dezolis didn't. I wanted to give the player a little more sense of adventure and also to fill a small void in PSIV. Besides, I got bored of just copying PSIV places since Gryz's Quest. Kyra's Quest was one of my best shots at originality with a fan game.
BenoitRen wrote:I suggest that for your next fan game you improve the interior of houses. Right now they're barricaded maps with regular RPG Maker tilesets. They're also often quite big.

Aye, tis' a folly of mine that I shall work on... Seriously though, I suck at making houses... BIG time! Thanks, I'll try to improve on that on my future games with RPG Maker 2000. Ripping resources is hard though. I only ripped a few, most of the PSIV ones I used were from Raja's Adventure and the web. The standard RM2k RTPs aren't that bad though. Although, I can understand why most people would want to see more PSIV chipsets. It is a PS fan game after all. :)

If I ever work on making another PS fan game again, I would rather work in a group with some one. Working alone on fan games is very hard... Having to do everything yourself... Sure it's cool that you make all the choices but it's hard and lonely... Most of the best RPG Maker games were made by groups of people. It's human nature after all to want to work together with another human being. :wink:

Oh and BenoitRen, what did you think about the music I used? I picked songs from some of my favorite games. They were from PSII, PSIII, PSIV, Chrono Trigger and Tales of Phantasia. Those were the best remixed midi songs I could find on the web. :D
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri May 09, 2008 5:06 pm

The music selection was okay. I especially enjoyed the Tales of Phantasia music at the Guy-Languiah (whu?) fight (didn't know Tales of Symphonia's summon spirit battle music was based on it). The Game Over theme from Chrono Trigger as a town theme seemed inappropriate, though.
BenoitRen

Postby Danny » Fri May 09, 2008 5:15 pm

BenoitRen wrote:The Game Over theme from Chrono Trigger as a town theme seemed inappropriate, though.

It wasen't a town theme, it was the ending song. I used it since I wanted the mood for the ending to make the player feel satisfied. It would have been strange to hear all the different town themes at the ending. I thought it fit in pretty well with the actions at the end of the game. Especially at the last scene with Kalsu and Kyra.
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby mikepjr » Sat May 10, 2008 11:56 am

Wow... you know.. my spelling sucks total ass.. after seeing how everyone is about the spelling and grammer.. i no longer want to work on my fan game.. cause i already know id make the same mistakes if not worse ones.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sat May 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Mistakes can be corrected.
BenoitRen

Next

Return to Fan stuff