How many PSV fan games?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How many PSV fan games?

Postby HTD » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:52 am

I was thinking about my cancelled project the other day.
I still had urges to see if "my psv idea" would impress me again..
Then I started to realize that there are so many different Fan sequals to the series that to call a game PS V seems really silly.

Am I the only one that feels an unofficial "official" ps V could only happen if say 90% of the game creators and members here actually helped with the game and worked together as a team.

This is all Idealistic I guess but it's ashame, I mean we have the resources to make it a reality between all the artist, sprite artists, coders, music creators. Its not impossible to think that an ultimate fan game could be born.

Whats your opinion on the fan game scene for Phantasy Star, do you feel that projects always start up but never finish, do you consider that the quality of some of these games are lacking even though people praise them.
What do you think about the idea of a universal fan game?

Let me know
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby rodrigo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:46 pm

but them who would play?
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Dr_Odin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:02 pm

What happened with your fan game? i think best way is to get together a group of inspired phantasy star fans and create it together, but its getting harder and harder to find them :S
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby HTD » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Well the Phantasy Star V fan game I was developing changed course when me and my coder felt that making a game called PS 5 was a bit too limiting for the story we wanted to tell. Also fenix code was so good at making 2D games we kept getting side tracked with other possible projects.

Unfortunatly the project had to be canned, I mean I still got some of the sprites and pretty much know how to make characters in the PS 4 style with ease but it's not yet been enough to make me feel able to perhaps even think about developing a new project, let alone by myself or as in other projects with people that are still new to game development.

Perhaps thats why I have made this post, I guess I was hoping that the community had progressed in developing a "GREAT" fan game.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby mikepjr » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Basically the reason no one works together is the simple fact that everyone has their own idea for a sequel, and when people try to work together they get aggravated.. they have their own ideas and dont want to change them, so they work alone.. and eventually the fan game gets canned.

The game im working on would get done but i cant script to save my life..
I have my own ideas for a sequel and.. im bad about not wanting to help others with theirs, sadly that is the mentality of a lot of fan game creators.

I suppose that if i had the time i could lend my graphics talents..

But right now i have my own things going on..

Only thing i needed was help with scripting.. i was using RMXP.. it's a very good maker.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby HTD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:45 pm

no worries, I've decided to restart the project but not call its ps v and i've changed alot of my ideas.
I'll let ppl know when the demo is released.
I am also going to use RMXP for the game.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm

"RMXP" as RPG Maker XP?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 pm

The main problem I've been seeing is that either
  • you have someone with ideas but not the technical knowledge to realise them or
  • you have someone that can code/script, but doesn't have enough time to complete the project alone

The first person usually uses some version of RPG Maker, bumps against limitations, and gives up because working around the limitations is a load of extra work.

The second person programs using a library like VERGE, Fenix, or similar. At some point real life takes over.

Ultimately, the message is the same: a fan game is a lot of work.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Zucca » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 pm

You can create a decent RPG with RPG Maker if you know ECMAscript (more commonly known as "standardised JavaScript"), which is fairly quite easy to learn.
At least I did one game with 2k version. You really needed to write much scripts to have included more than just fights in the game.
Graphics were the part that stopped my development.

I could, myself, use some pre made, free, textures etc that represent the world. But I'd really like to design my own monsters and especially heroes.
Well... Maybe some day...
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Semix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm

I have no idea how to do any of this, but as a kid with a imagination i could help with ideas maybe? how much is this RPG maker, if it uses codes i wont get it, if its costey and my m8 cant hack it then too bad...
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby HTD » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:54 am

Just to let you all know that I have asked a RPG MAKER to make a CBS of Phantasy Star 4.
I am paying with my own money for this but I am going to allow him to release it to the community and i'll link you guys once its done.
This way we can all make better fan games.

I have decided that the system will run on VX edition due to my Phantast Star V fan game running on that.

I'll update on a new thread when I have something to show or post about.
Last edited by HTD on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:40 pm

This sound interesting. Please do keep us updated!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:17 pm

What's a CBS? Wikipedia isn't telling me.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby HTD » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Its a custom battle system that you can modify for RPG MAKER VX.
So its being scripted to behave and look like Phantasy Star.
You'll be able to edit it from a demo and add your own sprites etc...
In short it saves a load of coding for you.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Abominae » Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 pm

I wonder how far along this is...
Abominae

Next

Return to Fan stuff