The downtime of the past few days

Questions, suggestions and comments regarding Phantasy Star Cave goes here

The downtime of the past few days

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:20 pm

A couple of days ago, Phantasy Star Cave's host started moving around servers. This didn't go without problems.

In the end they moved the servers that Phantasy Star Cave resides on to a new location, and in the process they lost a lot of data. Missagh said they lost "the database", which would imply the mySQL database that stores the message boards posts, but it seems this data loss included the website as well.

To make matters worse, the last back-up the host made was from four months ago.

I've got a copy of most of Phantasy Star Cave on my hard drive. But I don't have a copy of the mySQL database. I've told this to Missagh, and am now awaiting his response.

EDIT by Missagh:

As Benoit has informed you all, our webhost messed up on their server transfer and lost our database. "Fortunately" they had a backup that was from June and uploaded it. Even though that this is out of our hands, please accept our apologies for lost threads and user accounts.

Luckly, Benoit kept a backup of the general PS Cave content so the website is up to date!

I hope that we can continue building the community so please inform your PS friends to register again and expand the community.

This is truly a shame, as we are approaching a 10 year anniversary update to PS Cave. :?

Nevertheless, thank you all for years of discussions and I hope to read your posts soon!
Last edited by BenoitRen on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Abominae » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm

This explains why I'm marked as "hidden"...

I stopped doing that before I got into college... and by the numbers displayed on the "Last post made on..."

Man, this sucks.
Abominae

Postby Missagh » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:11 pm

Benoit please check your email.

Apologies to all for the downtime. I will get back to you all as soon as possible. It has been a very long day of babble with our webhost so I will probably need to rest a while :?
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Abominae » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 pm

If they lost all that information, shouldn't you be entitled to a refund of that time? It is, after all their fault... I'm not sure if you're paying for the bandwidth this site uses tho... if you're not, you'll have a really hard time getting anything back.

Unless you get it back, in which case all you've lost is this time discussing it.
Abominae

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 am

Only the mySQL database was lost, but the host also 'restored' the website from their back-up despite being asked by Missagh not to.

At any rate, I've restored the site to how it was before the downtime.
BenoitRen

Postby Abominae » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Then why is it that the most recent post is from June 09, 2009?

Besides in this thread...
Abominae

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:44 pm

When I said I restored the website, I meant everything on it except the phpBB2 installation and its associated mySQL server. The mySQL server is what stores all the posts.
BenoitRen

Postby Abominae » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:46 pm

I hate to say it, but I think you and Missagh need to have a talk.

Nobody but me has posted here since the servers came back up, and I know they're reading this...

Things are looking grim...
Abominae

Postby Missagh » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:53 pm

I guess it is because most people thinks it is still down. I have sent message through the mailing list and such, but I would appreciate if everyone that read this could kindly spread the word.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Abominae » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:09 pm

It's not looking good, Missagh...

I've seen at least 6 guests here. That's you, me, ben as half that we KNOW have posted... but nobody else seems interested.

We didn't have that many frequent visitors anyway... And with the loss of the last four months?

I considering this may be the end for me.
Abominae

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:21 pm

There have always been a lot of guests. That's not unusual.
BenoitRen

Postby Missagh » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Relax Abominae ;)

People will come back eventually. As I said, most people dont know that the boards are back anyway so give it a few days and we will see how it goes down.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 am

Oh dear. I go overseas for two weeks and this happens. :(

I'm just glad to hear that Benoit backed a lot of stuff up.

And I'm going to continue to come here, regardless of the data lost. The Cave is one of my most favorite boards on the internet...
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby yumpoptart » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:54 am

It's good to see that the site is back up at least, I was wondering what was going on. Anyway, I think Missagh is right and that people will post again after a few days. I was on earlier but didn't post, mainly because I was on my way to leave for work. But I'm guilty of lurking a lot anyway. ^^; I've been trying to rectify that a little more lately, too! Oh well, I was only at like 43 posts, right? I'll get to "the principal" again! hahaha.
http://pixelkiss.com/ps - PhanTranslations (featuring the Memorial Drama CD, Futabasha Adventure Book and SPEC manga!)
yumpoptart
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby orakio_rob » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:24 am

Oh, don't worry, we'll keep posting. We love this place!
Download the Compendium at my Phantasy Star website: http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/downloads/
orakio_rob
Locusta
Locusta

Next

Return to Site related