Phantasy Star: Genesis

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Edge » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:29 am

You better share your tiles with the community or you'll make enemies. JK. I'm a huge fan! Keep showing us this greatness... I think I speak on behalf of the entire community when I say your tile editing has reached a level that Sega would had probably hired had you been around back then.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 am

Edge wrote:You better share your tiles with the community or you'll make enemies. JK. I'm a huge fan! Keep showing us this greatness... I think I speak on behalf of the entire community when I say your tile editing has reached a level that Sega would had probably hired had you been around back then.

You know, that was actually pretty cool to hear man, I mean it would have been an honor to work for em and saying that I'd have enough talent at it is, a very nice thing to say so thanks!

Missagh wrote:This looks great Daren! However, the red might be a little bit tough on the eyes, but works.

Keep it up.

Oh I intend to so don't worry about that ;) The red lol, I noticed that this morning to and yeah, I was going for rusty and it feel in candy red territory. I know where I went wrong though, I put to much different red colors to paint the tiles.

Alright, Looks like I've been working overdrive today. I've finished the major part of the Industrial Plant chipset and here is the result.

I still have a few things I want to create for this one though like stairs to a second floor, more wall options and I'd really like to have it so that when you're on the second floor walking around a grid like tile that you see the first floor like in PS4's tech dungeons. I still have to figure this out, but as a whole the basic tileset is done.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:29 am

I know how to do that... Skype me tomorrow, I'll explain it to you.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Edge wrote:I know how to do that... Skype me tomorrow, I'll explain it to you.

Thanks for the tip buddy ;)

Hi everyone, I feel like talking... Read or don't it's your choice.

It's passed 8AM and I still haven't sleep yet... Damn this insomnia is getting worst, but my friends, it's a good way to make progress and to well think a little. See when I started this more then a year ago I had this idea, "Why don't I make a game set on Palma during the same time line as PS2's" I remember asking myself back in the day when I last played Phantasy Star 2, what's happening on Palma and why can't we go there? Ok, I pretty much understood why Palma was a no go at the 1/3 mark of the game, but still I thought this was one big waste. In PS 1 Palma was the shit! ;) And I kept thinking that this was a missed opportunity.
Long story short, I was left with good memories of my childhood, playing my very first RPG that for the most part, was set on a planet that we had no other chance in ever revisiting and that left a dry taste in my mouth.
A few years ago I wanted to make my very first RPG, it was set on Mota and it told the story of what happened to Rolf before he met Nei and when is was a very young agent. I had an idea for an entire storyline which would have been great, but the more I read into it the more I knew I couldn't do what I was about to make because it pretty much destroyed Rolf's original storyline which when you think about it, would have been completely stupid. I mean, you can't go and change anything about this sacred series of games, you just can't because in my most of honest of opinions Phantasy Star 1, 2, 3 and 4 are amongst the best RPG's ever made, heck even 3 has one great storyline and if they would have had time to actually finish the game like it was meant to be, I'm sure it would have rivaled any of the other three hands down.
I love this series, I grew up with this series, it holds a special place in my heart and it will always do. Still to this day I'm pissed at Sega for completely dissing the original series, of course I understand that they wanted to make something new and fresh and at the time the Online craze was just beginning which I'm sure was a good financial decision. Still, it's like they forgot that they made this gem that is Phantasy Star only a few short years beforehand and that for me, I will never forgive them for it.
When they announced that they were making a new PS game with an actually offline story and everything I went nuts! 8) I was like, WOOOOHOOOOOO!!! Finally!! After all these years!!
And then I bought it...
Lets just say PSU wasn't my cup of tea and then I was left even colder then I was before because now I had all this excitement that build for almost a year before it's release only to have "that" as a final product...

Let's face it everyone and it saddens me to say it, the glory days of our old familiar Algo solar systems have come and went, leaving us with good memories, no more but no less.
We have no other choice my friends, if we want something new then we have to serve ourselves because Sega won't do it for us, well not in the way we want.
And that's how I started my game, I wanted more so badly that I "had" to do it. I want my project to have a storyline that keeps all the general principle set on the others, to want to tell a new story set in our beloved star system, I want you to explore this planet we call Palma and for you to rediscover what it was all about in the original game and I want to make you think you are playing a Phantay Star game which in the process will put a smile on your faces. This is no easy task but one I have to do even though I won't get to play it for the first time as you will but you know what? It doesn't matter because in the end I'm doing this for me...
Well I'm rambling now, but this is the whole optic behind my intentions and I thought it was important for you guys to know where exactly I'm coming from.

Ok, remember when I said I had started another game a few years back? Well, that game was called Phantasy Star Through the River of time as well but ever since I started this project, I've been wanting to change the name. It just didn't fit the new game and so I'm renaming it to...

A fitting tribute to our old console...

Alright everyone I'm off to bed again so be cool!
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Hah! That's pretty damn awsome! ^^ Good work!
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby AirWolF » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Sweet!!! Just sweet!!! More likely made in Xara or 3Ds MAX :)
True power comes with true responsibility...
AirWolF
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Daren » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 pm

AirWolF wrote:Sweet!!! Just sweet!!! More likely made in Xara or 3Ds MAX :)

Nope and nope, it's all made in Photoshop by hand ;)
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Yeah. I regonized some of the patterns you used.
Anyway, nice work once again. :)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Edge » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 pm

That makes good sense! Nice work bro! Can't wait for this "New Phantasy Star Game"
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:31 am

Quick update

Well not really an update but I just wanted to let you know that I'm still working hard on the game, I just took a little 5 day brake this week. Right now, I'm working on 2 huge dungeons that come later in the game.

Here's a pic of one of em

Now, this shot isn't done, I want to make a projected shadow coming from the trees, make new ground chip that looks like high grass and one of dirt and I'm working on a few other objects.

It will probably be done by the end of the weekend, so look forward to the same shot with finished graphics.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Quick update

Hi everyone, I know I haven't been really active on the forum lately, but that's because I've been spending loads of time on one of the biggest dungeon I've ever produced. It's the second biggest actually, but this time around, It's my chipset and not on I took from another game. It's not finished yet of course but since I last posted an image a few days ago, I've been able to make good progress on it.

Here's a picture of a swamp to show a little bit of animations.

Don't mind the water glitch, it's not like that in the game.

I still have a few things I need to do for the mud part of the swamp, add new kinds of bubbles and some animation in the mud itself. I'm also going to make more grass animations.

Alright, that's all for now
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sat May 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Alright folks, I've got another update

As I've been doing for the last 2 weeks, I'm still investing time one my canyon/forest chipset trying to make it as perfect as I can.
Here are 2 pictures of my progress.

Now as to what I've done these last 2 days, well I did 3 flower/grass chips, done the stairs and broken floor tile (These two I took from another chipset and repainted them) redid the dead trees and changed the colors of the 2 other trees.

Alright Back to work
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Sun May 02, 2010 8:01 am

Wow. You really did perfect work. :O

You're really the sprite/tile master. What program you use to create those pixelart tiles and sprites?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Sun May 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Zucca wrote:Wow. You really did perfect work. :O

You're really the sprite/tile master. What program you use to create those pixelart tiles and sprites?

Thanks for the compliment Zucca and to answer your question, I only us Photoshop to create, design, edit or align all the work I do.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Hey every one, I have a picture I want to show you but it's not part of my game. You see, I've been editing a town chipset for a friend of mine and I'd like to know if you think it would fit for a PS3 town.
Here's the pic.

So what do you all think? Like I said, it's not a chipset I created. I took a few existing ones and merged the elements I needed plus some from the original game.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff