Free graphics for fan projects

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Daren » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:15 pm

I've decided to give out some of the graphics I've been ripping since I started my project. I remember some of you didn't understand why I wanted to keep those sprites to myself after having worked hard on them but I think it's easy to understand that when you work hard on some things then you should be the one to use them first. Easy logic in my opinion but now I've started work on my graphics for the game to replace the old ones and I wouldn't want these sprites to go to waste especially when so much of you could use them for your projects.
I understand that it's not easy to rip graphics and that it's pretty time consuming so I'd like to help out if I can. Anyone can download them and use them as they see fit but I ask, in return, to have a special thanks for my graphics please, it's the respectful thing to do and I ask that none of my original graphics are ever used for any project.

All the sprites are perfectly aligned and have all the animations from they're various sources.
Happy game making!

Armorant

Cattapilar

Fanbite

Fire Eye

Mini Worm

Monster Fly

Newt

Poisoner

Scorpion

Nei's Ceramic Bars

Nei's Laser Bars

Rolf Dagger

Rudo Laser Canon

Enjoy.
Last edited by Daren on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rodrigo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Fantastic.
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm

I have a lot more graphics BTW and I'll share them as soon as the replacement animations are finished, so keep a look out on this topic in the weeks and months to come.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Ungrateful...

I just looked at the stats over at photobucket and in the last 18 hours at least 50 people looked at each and every new file I posted yesterday. How many people kept asking for graphics for they're games in the last year alone? Heck everyone wants to make a fan game and no one is ready to work to get the animations they want, they just ask for everything to be put nicely on they're plates.
The graphics I posted yesterday was a kind of test to see how many people would download them and see who would actually be grateful for it because I certainly don't see a whole lot of people coming forward to just give away what they have.
I guess I got my answer for only one person took the time to say something. Now I know the frustrations of getting nothing in return of your hard work, not even a simple thank you for this.

That's what I was saying to some people here when this topic first came up, you do the work and don't simply want to give it away because people can be extremely ungrateful for anything that don't revolve around they're little self.
I know this makes me look like a whining little shit but you know what? Where I come from people respect each other for what they have to offer and there are principles behind my thinking but you folks (The people who downloaded) seemingly don't.

Later
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Daren. It's been a while, hasn't it? I just wanted to say that I'm very grateful for what you've done for me, by supplying me with that great music selection for my game. Just because I don't post here anymore doesn't mean I'm not thankful for what you've done.

So, you're saying that a bunch of guys just came forward, dl'd your graphics and didn't bother to thank you? That's not very nice, now is it?
The main reason I don't post over here anymore can be attributed to certain individuals, who do nothing but whine and criticize, point out flaws and just generally being rude. And what really pisses me off is that those individuals produce none of their own work, fan-related or otherwise. All they can do is sneer at your hard work, beat you down and generally make you feel like a douch. And this is what you get after 19 friggen' months of bloody, bloody hard work.

It would be better if Benoit locked my fan-game topic, since I'm not going to update it anymore. If you're still interested in my game, Daren, then you can visit this link.

http://www.psalgo.com/boards/phantasy-s ... t3638.html

Even better, sign up. The community is awesome. Rick warned me about coming back here...

And he was right.
Good-bye.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby rodrigo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I am sorry if you don't like PS cave...

After PSDB this place has been a great place for me. Even if I don't post a lot.

I shared my works (chaz and raja) here (even if they don't have any original art in them).

And a lot of people share their works here too....

When you make a free fan game it should be just for the fun of making it... If it's only hard work and doesn't give you pleasure you shouldn't do it ....

You can't do it for praise...

But I do thank you for sharing some of you work.

And I can't wait to play your finished games...
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Finally. Someone donated graphics! I hope this wasn't just random pop-up. :)
Thank you Daren!
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Zucca wrote:Finally. Someone donated graphics! I hope this wasn't just random pop-up. :)
Thank you Daren!

You know Zucca, I'd gladly donate graphics to people who deserves them such as yourself. Actually I can send you tones of them if you so desire. My problems comes when people just take them without even such a simple thing as saying thank you.

The few files I shared yesterday were viewed 815 times in 18 hours and probably downloaded by half that number. I don't mind sharing things I'm not going to use anymore to help out any fan game producer but I hate the fact that people are so inconsiderate of the work and time used to make these.
It's not about whining, wanting praise or anything else, it's about the principle behind everything.

When you make a free fan game it should be just for the fun of making it... If it's only hard work and doesn't give you pleasure you shouldn't do it ....

Rodrigo I think this was said to Lyla but just in case, I don't do it for anyone else then myself and love every moment of it or else I wouldn't do it and in the process I hope my fellow fans will like it.

Hi Daren. It's been a while, hasn't it? I just wanted to say that I'm very grateful for what you've done for me, by supplying me with that great music selection for my game. Just because I don't post here anymore doesn't mean I'm not thankful for what you've done.

You already thanked me for the music Lyla and I'm happy it seems to be working for you, you do know that if you need more that I'll gladly search and give you more. How does it work in the game?

Even better, sign up. The community is awesome. Rick warned me about coming back here...

Lyla, this is my home my friend and I'm happy here even though I don't get many response to my new graphics and such, I know people are reading the updates and I don't need anyone to keep telling me I'm doing a good job although I would like some constructive criticisms from time to time ;)
As for signing up and starting a tread there? Perhaps someday yes, but not now. But I do go read your tread from time to time Lyla to see the updates and such, keep it up, you're doing a good job.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 pm

I think most people who would have said "Good work", "Well done" etc, just decided not to post as they don't want to post one-liners to 'mess up' this thread (or any other).

Daren, I will work on some fan game when there is a good (aka finished) FOSS RPGmaker available.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Missagh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Zucca wrote:I think most people who would have said "Good work", "Well done" etc, just decided not to post as they don't want to post one-liners to 'mess up' this thread (or any other).

Ditto that! I think a lot of users here care to post mostly when they can either contribute to the subject or criticize it. Dont see this as negative.

Daren, obviously your doing an awesome job. I agree that it would be good if the users who did download the work would post it... but remember that we got A LOT of unregistered users here (check the stats at the bottom). There is a strong value to store these images for upcoming fan game makers that will have the interest. Considering PS Cave have so many fan games, maybe we should open up a fan game resource section?

Also, rodrigo, its been a while since I heard any updates from you buddy. Have you been working/planning any new PS games? Feel free to PM me.

And lyla2284, Im still eagerly waiting to play your game!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Daren » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Missagh wrote:Dont see this as negative.

Daren, obviously your doing an awesome job. I agree that it would be good if the users who did download the work would post it... but remember that we got A LOT of unregistered users here (check the stats at the bottom). There is a strong value to store these images for upcoming fan game makers that will have the interest. Considering PS Cave have so many fan games, maybe we should open up a fan game resource section?

I guess you make a point...

Still my point stands considering the heat I got back then for not wanting to share my resources. But anyway, let us talk about your proposition of making a section for fan games where we could share graphics.
Tell you what, you make this section and I'll contribute a lot more graphics. Actually, I know someone that could perhaps make the page if you're interested.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rodrigo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Missagh a fan game resource section would be a great idea!

I am sure it would be of great help to all ps game makers
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:55 pm

rodrigo wrote:Missagh a fan game resource section would be a great idea!

A great idea! I agree. But maybe we should just see if this topic fills enough to see if it's really worth of it?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Zucca wrote:
rodrigo wrote:Missagh a fan game resource section would be a great idea!

A great idea! I agree. But maybe we should just see if this topic fills enough to see if it's really worth of it?

Maybe having a page set on the main PSCave one would help some people contribute more. Not everyone go read the various forums.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Daren wrote:Tell you what, you make this section and I'll contribute a lot more graphics. Actually, I know someone that could perhaps make the page if you're interested.

What? Are my web development skills not adequate?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff