Pokemon Emerald is better than Grand Theft Auto IV

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Pokemon Emerald is better than Grand Theft Auto IV

Postby Neo48 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Obviously that statement would come under fire. But for those of you who don't follow GameFAQs.com, let me bring you up to speed.

The website is attempting to determine the best game of the last decade, and they have given all the power to the people that buy games. 120 of the highest rated games have been placed in a tournament with each other. Every 12 hours the voting for one pair of games ends and a new one begins. This will continue to happen until there is one game left. You can check the current victories on their homepage.

And yes, by the vote of GAME PLAYERS and not editors, GTA IV fell to Pokemon Emerald in the first round. Quite an upset I must say.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Who cares? It's GameFAQs. It's full of Pokemon and Final Fantasy VII fan boys/girls. Whoever made that tournament didn't even figure out that the decade isn't even over yet. It reminds me of the start of the year 2000 when people were celebrating the new millennium a year early.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Haha, ya, I find humor in this whole thing mostly.

There are reasons these lists always fail when given to the choice of people and the main one is that quite simply, some games are played by a lot of people compared to very little.

Currently, Shenmue is getting killed by LoZ: Twilight Princess. I loved Twilight Princess but I know that Shenmue is regarded as one of the best games ever made. But not many people played the DC as the Wii. let alone the fact that most long-time gamers who bought the Wii around release time would have only wanted TP as their first release title.

Whoever made that tournament didn't even figure out that the decade isn't even over yet.

Don't decades begin on years that end in zero? Therefore, at the beginning of 2000 and the end of 2009, 10 years passed. For instance, isn't the first year of A.D. numbered as 0?

It's full of Pokemon and Final Fantasy VII fan boys/girls.

I don't frequent the site so I can't argue against that. Sure hope that is a backed-up statement though :P
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Neo48 wrote:Don't decades begin on years that end in zero? Therefore, at the beginning of 2000 and the end of 2009, 10 years passed. For instance, isn't the first year of A.D. numbered as 0?

No. The Gregorian calendar we currently use starts a year 1.
I don't frequent the site so I can't argue against that. Sure hope that is a backed-up statement though :P

It's only hearsay about it having a lot of Pokemon fans, but it having a lot of Final Fantasy VII fans is obvious from the character battles that often end with Final Fantasy VII characters winning, with the fans pining for a Cloud vs. Sephiroth battle.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:04 pm

No. The Gregorian calendar we currently use starts a year 1.

How educational.

I suppose this means that the number 2000 provides marketing power, thus turning it into a recognizable start of a millennium. After all, everything should be bigger and better in the new millennium! None of that ancient 19xx crap. (Obviously I made this up to make a point. Don't take it literally).

It's only hearsay about it having a lot of Pokemon fans, but it having a lot of Final Fantasy VII fans is obvious from the character battles that often end with Final Fantasy VII characters winning, with the fans pining for a Cloud vs. Sephiroth battle.

Like I said, I wouldn't know because I rarely visit the site. But that works for now.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Edge » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I remember that... I was so pissed off when Mario fell off the bracket... HOW CAN YOU HATE ON MARIO!? SERIOUSLY!!!!
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby minorwanderer32 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 am

Never man. Its not an easy one. :D
minorwanderer32
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Semix » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:11 am

I personally think that once you know how to do it and what you can do in liberty city, GTA IV could easily be the best game of all time. Or at least the complete edition with the bonus episodes.
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Wing-0 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:11 am

There are far too many games I love to choose only one best game of all time.

Valkyria Chronicles (series)
Metal Gear (series)
Ninja Gaiden (original series)
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy 6
Sonic the Hedgehog (series)
Snatcher
Phantasy Star (original series)
Skies of Arcadia (so far, my favorite orthodox RPG)
Lunar: Eternal Blue

And several others.

Gamefaqs hosting such a "tournament" is meaningless to me. My best games of all time are those, and I'm guessing several of those aren't on the list.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Pokemon Emerald is better than Grand Theft Auto IV

Postby rimisen49 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:39 am

Deciding between Pokemon Emerald and Grand Theft Auto IV is like choosing between two different genres of movies. Pokemon Emerald offers a fun and strategic adventure, perfect for players who love exploring and collecting creatures. On the other hand, Grand Theft Auto IV provides a gritty, immersive experience filled with action and drama, appealing to those who enjoy open-world exploration and storytelling. It really comes down to what kind of gaming experience you're in the mood for!
YouTube ReVanced
rimisen49
Pinchant
Pinchant

Return to General Discussion