PSIV: Beneath a New Light. (I'M BACK...with a bang!)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby The PS Logo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 pm

HTD wrote:Brilliant XP

Thanks, but I didn't make that. I edited the post so the image links to the post it originally came from. :oops:
The PS Logo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby lyla2284 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:18 am

Yeah, I have seen those images on the site here somewhere. I think Edless made them a while back. He's pretty damn good at editing those sprites. I know he made some awesome ones of Demi as well.

I think I will animate that image of Shorty stabbing himself and use it as my avatar. :twisted:

And yes, I do detest Rika as well. So shoot me, Rika fan-boys. :D
I'm evil.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby meteor9 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

lyla2284 wrote: So shoot me, Rika fan-boys. :D
I'm evil.

Calibre preference?
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby The PS Logo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:34 pm

lyla2284 wrote:I do detest Rika as well. :D I'm evil.

Does that mean that SEED still explodes in your game? ;)
The PS Logo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby lyla2284 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 am

@meteor9: You're welcome to blast me with a bazooka.
@PSLogo: SEED falls victim to a far worse plight than self-destructing. I can't reveal anything though. Spoilers, you know.

Updates: I've finished the re-designed towns for Piata, Mile, Zema, Molcum and Krup. Whew. I spent at least two hours on each town map ( excluding interiors, that takes about 15-25 min each ).

Krup redesigned: The new maps are at least half the size of the huge
originals. And it's far easier on the eye now as well.

You'll notice Rune is missing in these screens. I skipped Molcum so I could fix a few errors.

Rewrote a few cutscenes, especially the one where the group meets Gryz in Tonoe. I made him a far more believable character with just a few lines of dialogue.

Man, I wish I had an artist for this project... Eventing, balancing stats, creating enemies, mapping.. all done by yours truly. Then I still have to do the artwork. It's pretty damn hectic at times. That's why the project is moving at a snail's pace.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tanith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 am

Just based on the couple of screen shots here, I already like the new town layouts.
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks. I learned a few neat mapping tricks over at the RPGMaker forums. :) The new towns, quite frankly, are a joy to walk through now.
Easy on the eye, and not too big or too small.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

towns

Postby H-Man » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Attractive looking towns, Lyla.
H-Man
Locusta
Locusta

Postby lyla2284 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:47 am

Time for a game update. I know I haven't updated this thread in a more than a month, but there has been significant progress.

The Bioplant is much larger now as well, with some very challenging mechas on the later levels. I added some new armours and weapons
to the game as well, and they will actually influence how much damage
you can inflict on an enemy. For example, titanium weapons are no
good against mechs with heavy armour, but heavy, blunt weapons work
perfectly against them.

Interiors are much smaller and eye-pleasing as well now.

Zema.

An art piece I did. I made a larger version to use for my desktop wallpaper. ^^

I'm still busy with the other characters artwork. I did Hahn yesterday, but I wasn't at all happy with the way it came out, so I have to try and draw him again today. If I had a graphics tablet, everything would have been so much easier, but all I have is my scanner, Paint Shop Pro 8 and a mouse. ><

What I have planned for the game cutscenes. I'm going to use splash screens like PS3 instead of the comic-book style that IV used. It's too much work for one artist alone. I did it once, and mind you, it took a good 4 years ( on and off ) to finish 300+ images. All done by hand.

I have to watch more anime to get some ideas. ^^

So, that's all for now.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:24 pm

LOL at the remake.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby rafael_esper » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:42 pm

I can also atest that the screenshots look fantastic. I would really like to have you as an artist in my own PS games.

Keep the good work, and I'm going to eagerly wait for a demo.

And what are you doing about the music? You know, the VGM file format is the most authentic to the original console (and small in size). There is a VGM plugin to Winamp, and also some tools to play it. But I guess it isn't supported by RPG Maker.

Regards,
Rafael, the Esper
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby lyla2284 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 am

Long time no update. Anyhoo, I'm finally done with beta-testing, so all I have to do is compress the game ( it's currently sitting at 87.5mb, really big for a 2 hour long demo ) and send it to my actual beta-testers to scan for any tiny bugs that I may have overlooked.

@rafael_esper: I do not use any music from PS4 ( since the soundtrack is inferior as opposed to the other games. I only like about 5 songs from the entire 48-track OST. ( Or should that be 45 tracks, ( The Black Blood, Winners, Red Alert do not qualify as actual songs, they are just horrible sound effects, but blame it on the Genesis sound chip ) The only music I use from PS2 are the Movement victory theme, a Death Place remix by Aeroprism and Never Dream. Apart from that, the entire sountrack is mostly made of royalty-free music. And no, I don't think a Winamp plug-in works for RMXP, unless there's a script.

Here are the new character portraits I've been working on.

I still have alot of art ahead of me. Gryz is one angry dude in this game. I made him into quite a believable ( and unlikable ) character. Every game needs one, right? At least, every game needs a character that you can like over time. From what I gather, 'ol Gryz didn't exactly have a big fan-base in the beginning ( glares at Rune and Rika ).
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: PSIV: Beneath a New Light. (I'M BACK...with a bang!)

Postby Missagh » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Yea Gryz looks pissed off :D Lyla how is the bug testing going? Any updates that you would like to share with us?
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby LegoMuskCat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:57 pm

An update for those who were interested in this remake/retelling/whatever: it seems our friend lyla2284 has canned her PSIV project and has begun working on a new game altogether.

For those who are interested, here's the source.
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:46 am

Well huh. Can't say I like the Fire Emblem games that much, since they borrow so heavily from preexisting mythology there's no real stunning depth to the series. It's all impossibly long-winded in its history, with too much focus on back story and not as much on real-time story development. I guess the artwork is pretty neat, though. Ike is cute, anyway.

Her game borrows way too heavily from Fire Emblem it seems, but maybe she'll be improving that as she progresses. All the best to her; I hope she can finally complete a game she's proud of.
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff