Just when I was coming to terms with...

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Just when I was coming to terms with...

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:00 am

Just when I was coming to terms with the galaxy having a supermassive black hole, comes this...

http://news.discovery.com/space/gamma-r ... -hole.html

I'm like ZOMG!!!
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Zucca » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 am

Like the first commentator said... If light cannot escape from there, then how can gamma rays?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:35 am

There are emissions from black holes in the form of jets at what might be their poles or something similar. How can those be, is still a good question.

Those bubbles on and below our galaxy could be the same phenomenon, only on a galactic scale, as opposed to a stellar scale. There is, after all, a HUGE, big ass black hole at the center of our galaxy.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Zucca » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:05 pm

One thing I know:
At some point when the gravitational force of the black hole exceeds a certain point it starts slowly to emit some particles (gravitons maybe?). Because of this the black hole actually loses its mass. At some point when the mass lowers to a certain point, the particles can't keep enough close together (as superthin mass) the whole hole will explode under the pressure.

Just like an air balloon: molecules of the rubber start to vanish. At some point the rubber layer around the air is just too thin to keep the air inside... BANG! Expect in case of black hole every particle is pulling towards each other.

So. Let's just hope that our black hole stays as it is now. :D
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:56 pm

No, gravitons haven't been ever detected, so they're still considered non existant. If those bubbles were detected, it was because of their composition. Photons with a very energetic wavelenght.

Photons are also considered matter, which effectively means the black hole is "leaking".
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Tanith » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Gamma ray bubbles, huh? That is interesting.

The supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way isn't even all that super, compared to other supermassive black holes. That's pretty freaky.

You know, I'm kind of hoping Earth will go out in some really fantastic way, other than just slowly being scorched to death by the Sun becoming a red giant. I know that's kind of twisted of me to think that way, but the alternative is for life (whatever life is billions of years from now) to suffer over time.
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to General Discussion