Church of Zio(n).

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Church of Zio(n).

Postby Zucca » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Black Sword » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 pm

What.
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Where did they get that she's lesbian? Because she isn't. She's married. With a male.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:05 pm

It's a redneck church... What did you expect?
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Zucca » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Those people are so pathetic. I cannot but laugh. :D
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby carlsojos » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23 pm

I've noticed that a lot of smaller churches like to use strange sayings that make you go "huh?" (my local favorite is "Do not stand up or sit down."), but that one's just hateful. Makes me happy that I'm not associated with such closed minds.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Black Sword » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Now, now, carlos, be nice to the closed-minded. They're fun!
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby carlsojos » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Black Sword wrote:Now, now, carlos, be nice to the closed-minded. They're fun!

... to laugh at! (Hey, who threw that at me?)

To be honest, the only qualm I have with maintaining a perpetually closed mind is that at some point, the person will consider a base-level concept to be self-evident, which will cause the person to reject a sound argument that would otherwise indicate the concept to be false without justifying such action with counterarguments. While this undercurrent powers many great things such as human rights and ethics, it also provides traction for the propagation of biases and stereotyping.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Black Sword » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Actually, when I said "they're fun," I meant playing with their minds was fun, but sure, laughing at them is fun too.

As for human rights and ethics...who said those are self-evident without justification? Plenty of grounds for arguments against them as well as for them. .....YOU HAVE A PERPETUALLY CLOSED MIND!
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby carlsojos » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 pm

Indeed, my mind is closed, albeit in a strange and twisted way. It's just that many people take ethics, for instance, as self-evident, myself included. There are arguments that make it, and other topics, valid, but most people don't expend a large amount of processing time to prove it to themselves beyond any doubt, since they already believe in it (typically due to experience(s) at an early age), and there are always circumstances where some arguments are irrelevant or even counterintuitive. It's simply a question of what the subject mind's open to, and what it isn't open to, that defines the foundation of its beliefs. Too closed, and the mind won't dump false beliefs in favor of better positions, hence relatively negative thoughts such as unjustified stereotyping. Too open, and the foundation will be too unstable to maintain a strong position against outside pressures. I actually had a friend who would argue fervently for one thing, then change his mind and completely rebut his own statements for an opposing viewpoint before anybody could interject in High School debates.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to General Discussion