[2011 - phpbb3] The new forums!

Questions, suggestions and comments regarding Phantasy Star Cave goes here

[2011 - phpbb3] The new forums!

Postby Missagh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:50 pm

After being on an early version of phpbb2 for years, we have finally upgraded to the latest version of phpbb3! "So whats new?" you might ask? Well we are as new to it as you are :P

The conversion: All posts/users/statistics/avatars were successfully converted. This is great news considering the history of the PS Cave board upgrades. Obviously, I will not be able to review each and every post/user so please have a look around and report anything missing. First thing I would request from everyone is to consider any font colours that you will be added to your posts. Preferably, leave the colour as default.

Modifications: So far, I have not added any modifications. I have adjusted the settings for registration to prevent bot issues. Also I have added a completely new ranking system. Who will reach the highest rank?

Style/design: This is the prosilver standard phpbb3 style. Please feel free to request any style changes. Im thinking of making a more yellow theme to match the site design.

Realisation: After browsing through the PS Cave main site properly, I realised that that yellow background got to go! So that will be next...

Questions, comments, suggestions: Please reply...
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Re: [2011 - phpbb3] The new forums!

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Dunno really. I know most of us have lives and hardly follow the ps series any more, but more activity from members would be nice.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby carlsojos » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Lookin' good! The biggest thing I notice is the ability to retune how the topics/replies are ordered. I'm a fan of darker colors, but that's because I tend to crawl on here in the early morning and late night, where my screen is the only light.

Also, if you're gonna rebuild the main site's colors, would you consider switching to an Iframe and/or javascript-generated setup? Based on a quick estimate, if the navbar and head for even just the fiction settings were procedurally generated instead of being manually coded into all the SHTML files, you would shave roughly 3,000 characters off each chapter posted, depending on the specifics of how the optimization is applied. That's quite a bit of typing removed that could potentially contain errors (I'm still amazed Benoit hasn't sent me an angry email over what I submitted for the next update).
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:50 pm

carlsojos wrote:Also, if you're gonna rebuild the main site's colors, would you consider switching to an Iframe and/or javascript-generated setup?

Before I came along, the site was a frameset divided in three parts. But frames have accessibility issues, so I did away with them.

JavaScript-generated is not an option. The website should still be properly viewable without JavaScript.
Based on a quick estimate, if the navbar and head for even just the fiction settings were procedurally generated instead of being manually coded into all the SHTML files, you would shave roughly 3,000 characters off each chapter posted, depending on the specifics of how the optimization is applied.

Why do you think they're SHTML files, and not HTML files? :P I'm using Server Side Includes.
(I'm still amazed Benoit hasn't sent me an angry email over what I submitted for the next update)

You drastically reduce my work by marking up your text before submitting it, so it's not that much work to prepare. I'm more bothered by your use of XHTML in a HTML document.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby augmentedfourth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 pm

Wow! I'm sure it'll take me a little while to get used to it, but the board looks good!
filthymindedandroids.blogspot.com - an incredibly Not Safe For Work blog

"A dirty book is rarely dusty." - unknown
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

MY EYES!!! MY EYES BURN!!! WHERE IS THE DARK BACKGROUND!?

Give me back my eyes, Missagh!!!

Nice change, actually.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Missagh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

WING-0 wrote:MY EYES!!! MY EYES BURN!!! WHERE IS THE DARK BACKGROUND!?
Give me back my eyes, Missagh!!!

Dude that made me laugh so much! :D

Regarding the dark colour background. If I had the chance to redesign the entire website, I would make everything way darker. It has been way to yellow the past years.

But for now, I think we will be focusing on expanding the game sections to be more up-to-date on the saga. Me and Benoit will have a top secret meeting on msn or skype very soon about the future.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Semix » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:27 pm

When I first saw this I was like "Woah what happened to the site, did I type it in wrong :o" And then I realised It was the right forum. The brigtness is a little uncomfortable for my eyes, and I liked the old dark layout, but this does look stylish. Just yeah, everything seems bigger and brighter now, mixed opinions, but It looks cool.
Edit : This was just my first impressions, after looking through it a bit with the new ranking system, and seeing who's online easier, I'm actually starting to prefer it
Last edited by Semix on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby carlsojos » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 pm

BenoitRen wrote:...I'm more bothered by your use of XHTML in a HTML document.

I didn't realize I was using XHTML. I thought I was utilizing a weird combination of HTML 3 and HTML 5, plus some recommendations from W3schools, with some reverse-engineering to build a template file that went horribly wrong when I looked after I sent the files. Guess I'm throwing out the guide I've been using. :oops: I thought I just screwed up the link tags and naming conventions.

Edit: I just looked through my guide again, it says that empty tags should have an ending slash in HTML for future compatibility, so I'm now deleting everything I have related to W3 now.
Last edited by carlsojos on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Neo48 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:36 am

I am seeing avatars and poster info on the right side is this normal?

Also I have added a completely new ranking system. Who will reach the highest rank?

Benoit, obviously :wink:

Personally, I like dark colours better. But everything seems much smoother.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:19 am

Bleh...

I can't even post from the PSP. The board displays really ugly and the post new topic or reply buttons don't even appear...

BLEH... =(
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Zucca » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:21 am

Someone pee on this theme!
I want it yellow!
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst